Now That I've Found You: A Collection
-----------------------------------------------=>
Grateful Dead

Workingman's Dead

Audio CD (February 25, 2003)
Original Release Date: 1970
Rhino/Wea (Running Time - 79:54)

/Just had to include this review:
"MY FRIENDS THEY COME AROUND"..., April 20, 2006 By t'amant (WA)
This album always comes around, over and over and over, it is that enjoyable. It almost feels inane and redundant to review this, an album everyone and their monkey's uncle knows is one of The Dead's best, and even one of the greatest American albums from any genre (I usually prefer reviewing my favorites that get unfairly maligned or seem to be underappreciated). Funny enough, I have even slightly higher praise for Blues for Allah for its intense fusiony energy and trippy atmosphere and American Beauty because harmony rules my Seventh Heaven, Wake of the Flood nipping at it's heels. You could say Workingman's emphasizes a tougher, rock flavoring with a huge nod to roots country (for readers not familiar with the recording). But with Jerry and all, any "sound" will end up BEING pure Dead since they are so unique in general, putting their beloved stamp on all they do. Jerry still loved the pedal steel at this time, and some of his best playing is here (the extra Dire Wolf sung instead by Weir is one cool example). Turn this up at any event, party or just alone with your thoughts and you can be assured of joyful waves of sound that will make it all swing again (gonna have us a HIGH TIME, livin' the GOOD LIFE - I think this is my favorite on here...well, along with Dire Wolf and Uncle John's Band and Black Peter and New Speedway Boogie and...they're all so great). Makes a great gift for cool people who are not familiar with it (beware giving it to Rush Limbo knuckleheads since this is associated with liberal radio and lifestyles - they just might crucifies ya).

I have had the original album forever, and an earlier cd version, but this Rhino remaster is so clear and dynamic sounding I was floored. If you haven't jumped to cd with this one yet, you will be astounded how great this 1970 masterpiece sounds. This completely filled cd has many fine extras with great live versions of nearly every track (Uncle John's & Easy Wind are especially cool), including a fun and rockin' live Mason's Children that I think was supposed to go on the album originally. A nice essay booklet is included inside with good track notes but no lyrics (would you guys at Rhino consider in the future that lyrics are a great addition). Casey Jones has maybe run out of track, but Workingman's overall impact is HUGE (good one to convert the unfamiliar to the Dead tribe). Enjoy often!

Agreed; So, Dig out your Dead
wink.gif

S.Q. Value: A
Lucinda Williams

LIVE At The Filmore
Tumbleweed Connection

Elton John
Madman Across The Water

Elton John
The Moody Blues

Anthology
Highway 61 Revisited

Bob Dylan
Love

The Beatles
------------------------------------------------=>

Cambridge Audio Azur -740c (Break-in run)/Opera/K-701s
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #4,489 of 136,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strongly recommended

You should fire up that blog of yours and do mid-year and year end Jazz rec lists. I'd be interested as long as they're not a billion dollars
wink.gif
. Hi-Finthen could do the same for recording quality. jsaliga could tackle whatever fazes he's gone through. Female vocalists would be covered with vcoheda etc... I would read them!

--

Thomas Dolby
41GYPRSTXWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
The Golden Age of Wireless

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #4,496 of 136,268
Love this CD sooo much...

41VFHWNJH4L._SS500_.jpg

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #4,497 of 136,268
^ ^ I think Legend is the BEST CD ever recorded. It's not my personal favourite, but I do adore it, and i never get bored of it, and it's one of those things that everyone love, the rock kids, the hip hop kids, your dad, ur uncle, ur granny, ur dog. EVERYONE.

I'm listening to Neon Golden by The Notwist.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #4,498 of 136,268
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ ^ I think Legend is the BEST CD ever recorded. It's not my personal favourite, but I do adore it, and i never get bored of it, and it's one of those things that everyone love, the rock kids, the hip hop kids, your dad, ur uncle, ur granny, ur dog. EVERYONE.

I'm listening to Neon Golden by The Notwist.

For sure man, everyone knows and loves Bob Marley...redemption song is my favorite.

Listening to another one of my favorites while testing my new 650s.

41W9Uk-nf%2BL._SS500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back