What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #38,387 of 136,498
^ Funny, had some Orbital come up on my shuffle earlier.

Last night and today, never complete without the weight.

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - TROY (Remix)

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #38,388 of 136,498
Tony Bennett - Playin' With My Friends

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #38,391 of 136,498
Jan 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #38,393 of 136,498
I've been listening to quite some stuff lately, going through the best rated albums of 2012 on Sputnikmusic and heard a couple I'm really digging I never heard last year, though it's mostly indie/rock/metal

Godspeed You! Black Emperor- 'Allelujah! Don't Bent! Ascend!

Japandroids- Celebration Rock

Passion Pit- Gossamer

Katatonia- Dead End Kings

Enslaved RIITIIR

Swans- The Seer 

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #38,395 of 136,498
Right now, since I'm doing some hi-res audio experimentation, I decided to expand my Jazz horizon with a couple of albums from HD tracks:

John Coltrane - Blue Train
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Musically, they are all of course great in their own way and I much enjoy them, but the recent Dave Brubeck - Time Out one seems to have a lot of pop and crackle for a HD (re?)master. Can anybody confirm that with this particular edition? Haven't had any particular issue with 24/88.2 audio so far... And since the pop & crackle is all over place stereo-wise it does seem to be part of the recording. I don't mind vinyl/analog-style pop & crackle ...if I'm listening to vinyl.

Not entirely sure about this being the correct thread but didn't want to start a new one just to check this.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #38,396 of 136,498

I haven't listened to this in a little while. Once I put it on, I can't imagine why I haven't. It's really and truly up there with his very best, and that's saying something for an artist with a track record like his.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #38,398 of 136,498
Quote:
I am trying so hard to hunt down the Analogue Productions 45rpm cut of Waltz for Debby mastered by Gray and Hoffman. Can't find one anywhere.

Quote:
These three today. Trying to get back into the habit of listening to more jazz; it is easily my favorite genre after all. The version of "Page One" I listened to was the SACD released by Analogue Productions and mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman.

MT, please share your findings if fortunate. 
popcorn.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #38,399 of 136,498
I actually bought them both on vinyl (and picked up Gojira's 2012 release tonight). All good.

Quote:
Thanks MT, I actually listened to the Enslaved and Katatonia records after checking some of the top lists on Let's talk metal, not disappointed one bit

Hope I can share them some day. I have the regular RIverside LP right now, but according to the DR Database the SH 45rpm cut is ever so slightly more dynamic...and a recording this good is worth seeking the absolute best. 

Quote:

MT, please share your findings if fortunate. 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back