What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #34,264 of 136,373
Hello there

Working from home today, and listening to a mix bag. Sun is out, music a bit on the mellow side today. Here are a few of the tracks I have been listening to.

The Beat - Stand Down Margaret One from my school days, still sounds very good, they have just released box sets of all there albums, may have to have a look at these.
Death Cab for Cutie- I will follow you into the dark My god-daughter recommend these to me.
Holly Cole - I can see clearly now  Nice bass line to this, and do like her take on this song.
Norah Jones - Don't know why  Just a lovely voice on this.
Everything but the Girl -I Don't Understand Anything  Chilled out Acoustic number, and there is something about Tracey Thorn voice that appeals to me.

There may be more.

Cheers Frank

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #34,265 of 136,373
Money Is King.  Growling Tiger aka Neville Marcano.  I discovered this song on the website of one of my favorite musicians, Van Dyke Parks.  He has a wonderful cover, available on his site and iTunes.  This, however, is the original.  I found the lyrics on the inter-webs, posted by the ever-present "anonymous":

[size=9.0pt]If a man has money today/[/size][size=9.0pt]People do not care if he has cocobé [leprosy/[/size][size=9.0pt]If a man has money today/[/size][size=9.0pt]People do not care if he has cocobé[/size][size=9.0pt]/He can commit murder and get off free/[/size][size=9.0pt]And live in the governor's company[/size][size=9.0pt]/But if you are poor, people will tell you shoo![/size][size=9.0pt]/And a dog is better than you[/size]

[size=9.0pt]If you have money to buy in a store[/size][size=9.0pt]The boss will shake your hands at the door[/size][size=9.0pt]Call them clerks to take down everything[/size][size=9.0pt]Whiskey, cloth, earring and diamond ring[/size][size=9.0pt]He may send them to your house on a motorbike[/size][size=9.0pt]You can pay the bills whenever you like[/size][size=9.0pt]Not a soul will ask you a thing[/size][size=9.0pt]They know very well that money is king[/size]

[size=9pt]A man with a collar and tie and waistcoat[/size] a[size=9.0pt]sk the Chineeman to trust him accra and float[/size][size=9.0pt][to extend credit for food][/size][size=9.0pt]"Me no trus' am," bawl out de Chineeman[/size][size=9.0pt]"And you better move on from me frying pan[/size][size=9.0pt]You college man, me no know ABC[/size][size=9.0pt]You wantum accra, gie am penny!"[/size][size=9.0pt]De worm start to jump in de man's belly[/size][size=9.0pt]And he cried out, "A dog is better than me"[/size]

[size=9.0pt]A dog can walk about and take up bone[/size][size=9.0pt]Fowl head, stale bread, fish tail and pone[/size][size=9.0pt]If it's a good breed and not too wild[/size][size=9.0pt]Some people will take it and mind as a child[/size][size=9.0pt]But when a hungry man goes out to beg[/size][size=9.0pt]They will set a bulldog behind his leg[/size][size=9.0pt]Forty policemen may chalk him down too[/size][size=9.0pt]You see where a dog is better than you[/size]

[size=9.0pt]If you have money and things going nice[/size][size=9.0pt]Any woman will call you honey and spice[/size][size=9.0pt]If you can't give her a dress, one new pair of shoe[/size][size=9.0pt]She'll say she have no uses for you[/size][size=9.0pt]When you try to caress her, she will tell you, "Stop![/size][size=9.0pt]I can't carry love in the grocery shop"[/size][size=9.0pt]I'm sure most of you will agree that it's true[/size][size=9.0pt]If you haven't money, dog is better than you[/size]

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #34,266 of 136,373
I found a local thrift shop / antique / flea market-type store that has a bin of used CDs they are selling for $1 each. Naturally, the selection is extremely limited. After digging through, I came up with these for a total of $4. All tracks ripped accurately to FLAC, so I figure not too bad for $4, especially since they are also buying used CDs for $1 each. 
smile.gif

Maybe it's telling, though, that what I'm actually listening to is this:

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #34,269 of 136,373

HD Tracks 24/48

It may sound pretty gritty in some places (voices), but man is it good. These guys can still rock. Really liked the new version of 'For What It's Worth' that was thrown in there, too.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #34,270 of 136,373
Jul 24, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #34,274 of 136,373

Well recorded, really fun to listen to...Just an all around good album. I don't understand how people would be down on this album. Especially the opening track. Just...wow.

Highly recommended for Metal fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back