What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #75,811 of 136,496
charles-mingus-mingus-ah-hum-ogv-vinyl-lp-jzwx28696811.jpg

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #75,814 of 136,496
MI0003591277.jpg

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #75,815 of 136,496
That is extremely decent! Very talented musicians...and the drum kit is just over the top!
Symphonic metal or fusion prog rock?

Well, I guess you could call them both. Some of their songs clearly fall into the symphonic category (watch anything from Breaking the Fourth Wall, as in my prior post). A whole lot of their songs incorporate elements of fusion (meaning at least to me, all or most musicians playing in sync, some with the same notes). But most broadly, prog rock of course.

When I first listened to these gentlemen (who are almost all my age - one is a bit older!), my first comparison was to Opeth. But when I made that comparison to my friend at work, he recoiled from that comparison rather strongly lol. Of course I had not listened to too many songs at that point, and now agree that was not the best comparison.

I can personally hear influences from many 70s era rock gods in their music. But they're really not trying to be like any of them - they are trying to be better than them, musically speaking. The thing that strikes me about their music the most is how accurate they are, how frequently they break into that "fusion" mode (literally all the time) - and there they remind me of Rush (again just my opinion, yours may differ). But the more I listen, the more I conclude they just aren't like any of them.

From what I can tell every album is trying to tell a story, and the songs attempt to tell a piece of that story. There are usually a number of instrumental numbers in which they invariably come out strong, showcasing their musical talent. To a man, each member of this group is at the top in their field. I have wondered over and over why I haven't heard of these guys before; I guess its just random chance, but I could also guess it's because they're producing Musician's Music, not commercial music. I shall leave the reader to draw their own conclusions.

Check out this little sample from an entire concert you can find on teh interwebz, in which Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and John Petrucci are dueling guitars. The SQ on this recording isn't so hot, but it's a treat to watch these three gentlemen go at each other...

Oct 23, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #75,824 of 136,496
Well, I guess you could call them both. Some of their songs clearly fall into the symphonic category (watch anything from Breaking the Fourth Wall, as in my prior post). A whole lot of their songs incorporate elements of fusion (meaning at least to me, all or most musicians playing in sync, some with the same notes). But most broadly, prog rock of course.

When I first listened to these gentlemen (who are almost all my age - one is a bit older!), my first comparison was to Opeth. But when I made that comparison to my friend at work, he recoiled from that comparison rather strongly lol. Of course I had not listened to too many songs at that point, and now agree that was not the best comparison.

I can personally hear influences from many 70s era rock gods in their music. But they're really not trying to be like any of them - they are trying to be better than them, musically speaking. The thing that strikes me about their music the most is how accurate they are, how frequently they break into that "fusion" mode (literally all the time) - and there they remind me of Rush (again just my opinion, yours may differ). But the more I listen, the more I conclude they just aren't like any of them.

From what I can tell every album is trying to tell a story, and the songs attempt to tell a piece of that story. There are usually a number of instrumental numbers in which they invariably come out strong, showcasing their musical talent. To a man, each member of this group is at the top in their field. I have wondered over and over why I haven't heard of these guys before; I guess its just random chance, but I could also guess it's because they're producing Musician's Music, not commercial music. I shall leave the reader to draw their own conclusions.

Check out this little sample from an entire concert you can find on teh interwebz, in which Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and John Petrucci are dueling guitars. The SQ on this recording isn't so hot, but it's a treat to watch these three gentlemen go at each other...

That video clip is over the top! I never heard of John Petrucci but he kills it.
Thanks for your detailed reply, too.

The Bright Mississippi.jpeg
Going Places.jpeg

In the mood for Allen Toussaint's jazz today...both are remarkably sublime.
Slow Down.jpeg

New music! Thanks @whirlwind for the idea.
GMB - BHA-1 - Wywires Platinum - HD800

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back