Jan 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #38,764 of 136,217
Buckingham Nicks - S/T
(1973, Polydor)  

Bob Dylan - Planet Waves
(1974, Asylum)  KENDUN in the deadwax

Leonard Cohen - Various Positions
(1985, Passport) 

Johnny Guitar Watson - Funk Beyond The Call Of Duty
(1977, DJM)  KENDUN JG in the deadwax, mastered by John Golden at Kendun Recorders

John Cage, Steve Reich - Three Dances & Four Organs
(1973, Angel/Capitol) MASTERED BY CAPITOL Jay in the deadwax; mastered by Jay Maynard at Capitol

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #38,767 of 136,217

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #38,770 of 136,217

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #38,774 of 136,217

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #38,775 of 136,217
03852.gif

JOE STANLEY:
King Of The Honky-Tonk Sax
Joe's the godfather of the down-and-dirty R&B sax of the '50s and '60s. He led the great Bill Black Combo (Elvis' backup band), toured with Marvin Gaye, and mentored countless Maryland musicians including Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan. Stanley's CD is chock full of organ grooves, soul ballads, deep sax-driven blues. The icing is Joe's bourbon-fortified Sinatra-style vocals on old honky-tonk gems like "Jambalaya" and "Please Release Me". It doesn't hurt that he's got an all-star band: two wailing electric guitars, soul-steeped Hammond organ, and hard-driving bari sax. All that's locked down tight by John Previti's razor-sharp bassline and Big Joe Maher's ultra-punchy cymbals, snare and kickdrum. (#03852)
Joe Stanley, sax/vocals 
Billy Hancock, vocals 
Dave Chappell, guitar 
Rudy Turner, guitar 
Kevin McKendree, B-3 organ 
John Previti, bass 
Jay Miles, bass* 
Joe Maher, drums

TRACK LISTING:
RAMBUNCTIOUS (W.Doggett)
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (J.Burke & A.Johnston) Listen to Full Song
I NEED YOU (W.Hancock) - Listen to Sample
BLUES FOR DANNY* (J.Maher) Listen to Sample
PACK YOUR SUITCASE (A.Domini)
JAMBALAYA (H.Williams & D.Batholomew)
EVENING (Mitchell, Parish, White & Mills)
CHICKEN-FRIED TENOR* (J.Maher)
THE LADY IS A TRAMP (Rogers & Hart)
I'M SO BLUE (J.Beasley & J.Josea)
PLEASE RELEASE ME* (R.Young, E.Miller, D.Williams)
I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU* (D.Gibson)
RAINBOW RIDE* (W.Doggett)

REVIEWS:
The Washington Post:
reviewed by Mike Joyce

Stanley's Sax Stirs Up Memories
In his liner notes to saxophonist Joe Stanley's King of the Honky-Tonk Sax, producer Pierre Sprey paints a less than pretty picture of the Maryland venues that helped shape Stanley's music in the '60s. "Sawdust was the preferred flooring," Sprey notes. "It made it much easier to sweep out the booze and blood every night."

However, if Stanley saw the worst of the club scene back then, he also saw the best, playing alongside Roy Clark, Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton, and it finds Stanley playing tenor sax with a burry tone and a big heart. His schooling of hard knocks led him to develop a broad repertoire, which no doubt came in handy when taking requests from irritable patrons, so it's no surprise that he covers R&B, country and pop with ease and authority here. Echoes of Bill Doggett (Rainbow Ride), Fats Domino (I'm So Blue), Louis Prima (Pennies From Heaven) and even Frank Sinatra (The Lady Is A Tramp) resonate throughout the recording, but there's no pretense or lack of personal touches. That's because, in addition to Stanley's evocative horn and vocals, the music is bolstered by a fine cast that includes drummer Big Joe Maher, bassists John Previti and Jay Miles, guitarists Dave Chappell and Rudy Turner, baritone saxophonist Chris Watling and keyboardist Kevin McKendree. Another big plus are Billy Hancock's colorful and sometimes emotional vocal cameos, which help make the music sound all the more rooted and real.
November 29, 1996

------------------------------------

03152.gif

BAD INFLUENCE:
Live at the Bad Habits Cafe
Stereophile says “…a recording to die for…R&B and early rock, but with a totally modern sensibility…one hell of a performance.” These guys take a gritty approach to that magic moment when the blues turned into rock ’n‘ roll. Whop Frazier sings Motown-steeped, bluesy vocals on classics from Wilson Pickett, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Reed. A vividly raw blues/rock quartet with wailing electric guitar and raunchy tenor sax raise hell behind him. Bound For Sound calls it “…a howling good time…Recording of Merit.” (#03152)
Whop Frazier, vocals/electric bass 
Michael "Junior" Tash, electric guitar 
Jay Corder, tenor sax 
Dennis Hash, drums

TRACK LISTING:
WOKE UP THIS MORNING (B.B.King) Listen to Full Song
NO PARTICULAR PLACE TO GO (C.Berry) Listen to Sample
ALBERTA (D.Small) Listen to Sample
MUSTANG SALLY (M.Rice)
SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL (Pomus/Shuman)
'TAIN'T NOBODY'S BUSINESS IF I DO (P.Grainger/O.Spann)
SWEET HOME CHICAGO (R.Johnson)
BRIGHT LIGHTS, BIG CITY (J.Reed)
MY BAB'S A SUPERSTAR (B.Guy)
HOW BLUE CAN YOU GET (J.Feather)
ROCK ME BABY (King/Kosea)
NIGHT LIFE (W.Nelson)
WHY I SING THE BLUES (B.B.King)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back