"Zebra" - The John Butler Trio

^^Great artist. I saw him at Wakarusa last summer.^^

Jazz Mandolin Trio - "Monkey Blake"

Apr 16, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #3,562 of 4,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Nice one Doug. I like your style
smily_headphones1.gif

It's like a game of tag, except you just took the lead. As you know, I've recently fallen heavy for Bunny Gets Paid. And now have both Jimmywine Majestic and the one you mention above, There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight, on order. So pretty soon I'll be back in the lead! I'm starting to think that one can never have too much from these guys. BTW, that's one of the songs you can download from their site. Just a 128K mp3, but a good taste.

http://www.pastrysharp.com/site/mp3s/rrmSulfer.mp3

Still on a Yo La Tengo kick here. "Autumn Sweater" making it's way around again. Love that organ and drums. And like they so often do, the perfect ending. What a knockout. I remember when I first got the LP, I nearly wore out this whole opening block of songs on the first two sides. Lucky I have a CD now too, or the grooves would probably be worn through. Great disc.

My style is significantly enhanced by you, viro, several music publications and a few other people around here, and at the other place. I ordered "There's A Star Above The Manger Tonight, "Jimmywine Majestic," and "Bunny Gets Paid" last week. Got "There's A Star..." first and I love it! You'll always be "it" with recommendations like Califone/Red Red Meat! [...and Yo La Tengo come to think of it] Thanks for the link. I'll check it out...

"Quarter Horses (B-slow)" - Red Red Meat

Apr 16, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #3,563 of 4,090
f01157wskvi.jpg

The Langley Schools Music Project I'm Into Something Good

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #3,565 of 4,090
h01309f9n0i.jpg

OOIOO Mountain Book

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #3,566 of 4,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I ordered "There's A Star Above The Manger Tonight, "Jimmywine Majestic," and "Bunny Gets Paid" last week. Got "There's A Star..." first and I love it!

Ah, the journey continues. I've really gotten into Tim Hurley's Sin Ropas band too. He was the bass and sometimes guitar guy with RRM, and then initially with Califone. Along with his wife Danni Iosello. You can find the Trickboxes on the Pony Line disc around used for practically free, and it's really nice. Pretty laidback, with a bit of Neil Young and David Bowie mixed into that fractured folk sound. They have a new one that was released last year in Europe called Fire Prizes that sounds even better from the two songs available at their site and what I've read, but haven't found it for under $20 yet. Sadly, don't see any US release coming.

http://www.popmatters.com/music/revi...ickboxes.shtml

And then there's that elusive oop Loftus CD that I've been trying to nab on the cheap for months now, but it never turns up. Oh well, just gotta be patient....

Recorded at Ben Massarella's truck stop back in 1996 (and in just 10 days, mind you) Loftus was a collaboration of the following:

Brian Deck (Red Red Meat, Califone)
Curtis Harvey (Pullman, Rex)
Phil Spirito (oRSo, Rex)
Ben Massarella (Califone, Red Red Meat, oRSo)
Tim Hurley (Red Red Meat, Sin Ropas)
Doug Scharin (HiM, Out in Worship, Rex, June of 44, Codeine)
Tim Rutili (Califone, Red Red Meat, Boxhead Ensemble)
Bundy K. Brown (Pullman, Tortoise, Gastr del Sol)

There's also a very interesting Red Red Meat tribute in the works from the Italian label Unhip Records. They've apparently got a bunch tracks in the can including the one you just mentioned, Quarter Horses, done by Calexico. Mark Lanegan, Billy Corgan, Eddie Vedder, Flaming Lips, Will Oldham, Iron & Wine, Modest Mouse are some other names being leaked out since they are all fans, but don't know what the status is now. Here's what Unhip confirmed last year on the Califone board ...

from "red red meat" (perishable 1992)
"nice round numbers" by MARK ROBINSON (unrest/air miami/flin flon/grenadine/teenbeat records founder...)

from "jimmywine majestic" (sub pop 1993)
"stained&lit" by THE FRUIT BATS w/ TRIANGLE
"lather" by SETTLEFISH feat. BRIAN DECK

from "bunny gets paid" (sub pop 1995)
"carpet of horses" by ORSO
"rosewood, wax, voltz + glitter" by JOHN PARISH (pj harvey) and OLIAS NIL (number one cup/the fire show)
"idiot son" by CHRIS ECKMAN (the walkabouts)
"oxtail" by MAYDAY (lullaby for the working class)
"variations on nadia's theme" by MIKE WATT (minutemen, firehose)

from "there's a star above the manager tonight" (sub pop 1997)
"sulfur" by CUT (italian band)
"quarter horses (b-slow)" by CALEXICO
"second hand sea" by REBECCA GATES (the spinanes)

+ red red meat medley by CHRIS LEO (diamond, the lapse, the van pelt, native nod)

mark lanegan has chosen "airstream driver", i think i can say he's gonna be on the tribute 99% while with the other names mentioned in the first post my (flaming) lips are sealed...

Apr 16, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #3,567 of 4,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Ah, the journey continues. I've really gotten into Tim Hurley's Sin Ropas band too. He was the bass and sometimes guitar guy with RRM, and then initially with Califone. Along with his wife Danni Iosello. You can find the Trickboxes on the Pony Line disc around used for practically free, and it's really nice. Pretty laidback, with a bit of Neil Young and David Bowie mixed into that fractured folk sound. They have a new one that was released last year in Europe called Fire Prizes that sounds even better from the two songs available at their site and what I've read, but haven't found it for under $20 yet. Sadly, don't see any US release coming.

http://www.popmatters.com/music/revi...ickboxes.shtml

And then there's that elusive oop Loftus CD that I've been trying to nab on the cheap for months now, but it never turns up. Oh well, just gotta be patient....

Recorded at Ben Massarella's truck stop back in 1996 (and in just 10 days, mind you) Loftus was a collaboration of the following:

Brian Deck (Red Red Meat, Califone)
Curtis Harvey (Pullman, Rex)
Phil Spirito (oRSo, Rex)
Ben Massarella (Califone, Red Red Meat, oRSo)
Tim Hurley (Red Red Meat, Sin Ropas)
Doug Scharin (HiM, Out in Worship, Rex, June of 44, Codeine)
Tim Rutili (Califone, Red Red Meat, Boxhead Ensemble)
Bundy K. Brown (Pullman, Tortoise, Gastr del Sol)

There's also a very interesting Red Red Meat tribute in the works from the Italian label Unhip Records. They've apparently got a bunch tracks in the can including the one you just mentioned, Quarter Horses, done by Calexico. Mark Lanegan, Billy Corgan, Eddie Vedder, Flaming Lips, Will Oldham, Iron & Wine, Modest Mouse are some other names being leaked out since they are all fans, but don't know what the status is now. Here's what Unhip confirmed last year on the Califone board ...

from "red red meat" (perishable 1992)
"nice round numbers" by MARK ROBINSON (unrest/air miami/flin flon/grenadine/teenbeat records founder...)

from "jimmywine majestic" (sub pop 1993)
"stained&lit" by THE FRUIT BATS w/ TRIANGLE
"lather" by SETTLEFISH feat. BRIAN DECK

from "bunny gets paid" (sub pop 1995)
"carpet of horses" by ORSO
"rosewood, wax, voltz + glitter" by JOHN PARISH (pj harvey) and OLIAS NIL (number one cup/the fire show)
"idiot son" by CHRIS ECKMAN (the walkabouts)
"oxtail" by MAYDAY (lullaby for the working class)
"variations on nadia's theme" by MIKE WATT (minutemen, firehose)

from "there's a star above the manager tonight" (sub pop 1997)
"sulfur" by CUT (italian band)
"quarter horses (b-slow)" by CALEXICO
"second hand sea" by REBECCA GATES (the spinanes)

+ red red meat medley by CHRIS LEO (diamond, the lapse, the van pelt, native nod)

mark lanegan has chosen "airstream driver", i think i can say he's gonna be on the tribute 99% while with the other names mentioned in the first post my (flaming) lips are sealed...

You are correct...the journey continues. Already checked out Sin Ropas and Loftus. Thanks for all the information. I need to stay on the trail of RRM and Califone! Have to keep my eye out for the tribute album as well. On my way to Easter dinner. Thanks for the music!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back