What are you favorite weird covers?
May 13, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by miroslav
Just a small correction here: Laibach are from Slovenia, not Serbia. "Laibach" is a German word for Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia.

The band did a handful of covers in their 17 albums; Let It Be, The Final Countdown, Life Is Life being their most famous.

I wouldn`t call them metal either, but that`s another story.
wink.gif

Respect, Moroslav. Mea Culpa. Cheers!

May 14, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarmarama
Oh, I forgot all the Manic Street Preachers covers!!! Their live cover of It's So Easy (GnR) is great, as is their cover of Camper Van Beethoven's Take The Skinheads Bowling and Andy Williams's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, but their weirdest cover has to be their cover of Nirvana's Been A Son... The slide guitar is eeeeeerie

oh yeah... i love Manic Street Preachers' version of "It's so Easy," it's really rockin. they also did a great cover of BJ Thomas' "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head." their cover of Happy Monday's "Wrote For Luck" is also quite good, they wanted original Mondays' singer Shaun Ryder to sing it, but he declined, so James Dean Bradfield did the honors. however, their cover of Primal Scream's "Velocity Girl" is quite bad... JBD didn't even bother to get the lyrics right. MSP are also known to do a cover of The Clash's "Train in Vain" live. they did it when i saw them in 1999... JBD was angry Annie Lennox botched the song so he said he would steal it back and do the song some honor.

May 14, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #33 of 50
"I Will Survive"--Cake
"Werewolves of London"--Grateful Dead
"Dr. Wu"--Minutemen
"Money"--Flying Lizards
"Bonny and Clyde"--Luna (never heard the original, but love this version).
"Pink Moon"--Walt Mink
"On Broadway"--Neil Young
"Breathless"--X

May 14, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Also, Electric Six's cover of Radio Ga Ga was a bit disappointing... I spent ages looking forward to that!!!

actually, i rather like electric6's cover. it's a lot more rock and less synth...dunno, guess just a difference in preference.

weird? well, there's OLP's cover of Dear Prudence that's pretty shway, and..Rush's instumental cover of Paint it Black from the Toronto SARs concert...i think it's the only cover they've ever played, which i guess makes it weird.

-james

May 14, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
oh yeah... i love Manic Street Preachers' version of "It's so Easy," it's really rockin. they also did a great cover of BJ Thomas' "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head." their cover of Happy Monday's "Wrote For Luck" is also quite good, they wanted original Mondays' singer Shaun Ryder to sing it, but he declined, so James Dean Bradfield did the honors. however, their cover of Primal Scream's "Velocity Girl" is quite bad... JBD didn't even bother to get the lyrics right. MSP are also known to do a cover of The Clash's "Train in Vain" live. they did it when i saw them in 1999... JBD was angry Annie Lennox botched the song so he said he would steal it back and do the song some honor.

Yeah, they're all on the Lipstick Traces CD Set. I didn't know that about Train In Vain though. Never liked Annie Lennox though... Or Eurythmics...

I'm surprised you've heard of them over in NYC - I thought they were famous everywhere in europe/asia/australasia/south america... but not North America...

May 15, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by erix
The Chinese lanquage translation of the Zepplin tune "Dazed and Confused" by Bongwater called "Dazed and Chinese"...

Christina's early-80's Diva-spin on Van Morrison's "Blue Money" makes me feel dirty...

Zappa's cover of "Stairway to Heaven" from the '88 tour = 5-piece horn section playing the guitar solo note-for-note...

Amazing. I read this today, and thought "Wow, I never heard that." Then I just heard it about an hour ago on the radio (satellite of course)! The horn section doing the solo is awesome.

May 15, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #37 of 50
Wierdest cover?

DEFINITELY:

"Never Never Land" - Todd Rundgren

This is the Peter Pan song... and it's just incredible
smily_headphones1.gif
Off of the album "A Wizard/A True Star"

It's a REALLY good cover, though!

And check out the ALBUM COVER for it (hah, pun, if you can call it that, certainly intended)
GET0617LP.jpg

May 15, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Yeah, they're all on the Lipstick Traces CD Set. I didn't know that about Train In Vain though. Never liked Annie Lennox though... Or Eurythmics...

I'm surprised you've heard of them over in NYC - I thought they were famous everywhere in europe/asia/australasia/south america... but not North America...

yeah... i guess i'm one of the very few exeptions in North America. MSP get shafted by Sony Columbia so many times it seems like they don't even care about releasing stuff in North America anymore. IIRC the first three albums (Generation Terrorists, Gold Against the Soul, The Holy Bible) have long been deleted after the first pressing, all three subsequent albums (Everything Must Go, This is My Truth..., Know Your Enemy) took months to release here after the UK release date, and the last release was Forever Delayed (at least the limited double disc remained intact). Lipstick Traces was never released in the US, and by this time a US release of Lifeblood is highly unlikely. even if Sony Columbia did finally release it here, most MSP fans already picked up the import. /rant

*sigh* same thing happened to Suede with A New Morning and the Singles compilation. friggin Sony Columbia.

May 15, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #39 of 50
Devo, "Satisfaction" -- still a hoot to listen to

May 16, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #41 of 50
Luna covering GNR's Sweet Child O' Mine
Ramones covering Tom Waits' I Don't Wanna Grow Up
Morrissey covering the Henry Mancini/Johnny Mercer classic Moon River
Morrissey and Siouxsie duet covering Timi Yuro's Interlude

May 16, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
blink.gif

eek.gif
My bad... It has been corrected in the original post. That's what happens you try to get in a Head-Fi fix two minutes before drifting off to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back