What are you favorite weird covers?
May 13, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Bauhaus - "Ziggy Stardust" by Bowie (pretty logical cover for them, actually)

i can't believe i haven't heard that, as i'm a big Bauhaus fan and i'm pretty obsessed with David Bowie. thanks for listing it!

May 13, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #18 of 50
Bauhaus' version on "Ziggy Stardust" is very much like the original... just the tempo is a bit faster. Peter Murphy can do a Bowie impersonation pretty well, i think he was even accused of copying his singing style at the time.

The Cure's version of Hendrix' "Purple Haze" is very dancey and trippy... quite a surprise when it first came out. they also did a straight ahead rock cover of it as well... which is very faithful to the original "Purple Haze."

other weird covers:
Scissor Sisters' "Comfortably Numb" (Pink Floyd) like... dancey, campy, and weird, it's wonderful. i can't get enough of this cover version.

Suede's "Brass in Pocket" (The Pretenders) the song gets slowed down to a sultry, yearning tune.

The Human League's "Rock and Roll/Nightclubbing" (Gary Glitter/Iggy Pop) this was made when The Human League were electronic experimentalists and innovators. they take two rock staples, meshed it together and made an electro classic.

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark's "Waiting for the Man" (Velvet Underground) OMD turns VU's classic into a rhythmic, herky jerky electronic tune, with a killer bassline.

Travis' "Baby One More Time" (Britney Spears) it's funny but yet Fran's vocal delivery makes it sound sad... it's quite a departure from the mindless pop tune it was before.

Pet Shop Boys' "Where the Streets Have No Name/Can't Take My Eyes Off You (U2/Frankie Valli) only PSB can make something so wrong that turns out so right.

Siouxsie and the Banshees' "Helter Skelter" (The Beatles) totally reworked the whole song into a punk classic. starts slow and then builds and builds and then everything stops short... very cool.

May 13, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
The Cure's version of Hendrix' "Purple Haze" is very dancey and trippy... quite a surprise when it first came out. they also did a straight ahead rock cover of it as well... which is very faithful to the original "Purple Haze."

The Cure also did "Young Americans" (David Bowie) and "Hello I Love You" (Doors)

I actually put together a CD a few years ago called In Whole or In Part (Samples and Covers):

01. Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
02. Can You Kick It - Tribe Called Quest
03. Under Pressure - David Bowie
04. Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
05. Cars - Gary Numan
06. Koochy - Armand Van Helden
07. Bizzare Love Triangle - New Order
08. Bizzare Love Triangle - Frente
09. All I Want - Lightning Seeds
10. All I Want - Suzanna Hoffs
11. That's Entertainment - The Jam
12. That's Entertainment - Morrissey
13. Cannon in D Major - Pachabel
14. All Together Now - The Farm
15. People Are Strange - The Doors
16. People Are Strange - Echo and the Bunnymen
17. Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles
18. Strawberry Fields Forever - Candy Flip
19. Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
20. Unchained Melody - U2

May 13, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #20 of 50
1000 Homo DJs aka Al Jougensen - Supernaut (black sabbath cover)
Depending wich version you may even get the Trent Reznor vocal track, smokes the original

Carpathian Forest - A Forest (cure cover)
This one has teeth, supremely dark and evil, Bong would flip his lid if he heard this!

Bauhaus - Third Uncle (eno cover)
So much better than orignal artist most people think this is a Bauhaus song.

Type O Negative - Cinnamon Girl (neil young cover)
Heavyyyyyyyyyyy

May 13, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #21 of 50
You want weird? Okay, Ill show you weird!!!

Flaming Lips covering that Kylie Minogue track, forgot what the track was but its pretty easy to find!

My all time weirded cover is probably John Mayer covering Radiohead's KidA on acoustic guitar, ach...

May 13, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
My all time weirded cover is probably John Mayer covering Radiohead's KidA on acoustic guitar, ach...

speaking of Radiohead, i love their cover of Carly Simon's "Nobody Does it Better." to hear Thom Yorke belt out "baby you're the best" is absolutely hilarious. even funnier is their live cover version of Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
The Cure also did "Young Americans" (David Bowie) and "Hello I Love You" (Doors)

yeah... they actually did three versions of "Hello I Love You." the regular version and the 13 second freak out version ended up on the Elektra's "Rubiyat" compilation. there was an unreleased Psychedelic version that appeared on many bootlegs before finally appearing on last year's "Join the Dots" box set. they also officially covered Depeche Mode's "World in My Eyes" for the "For the Masses" DM covers album, and Hendrix's "Foxy Lady," (from the "Three Imaginary Boys" album) which ended up as a weird, minimal punkish song... the only Cure song to feature lead vocals other than Robert Smith himself; supplied by bassist Michael Dempsey. i know... i love talking about The Cure.
biggrin.gif

speaking of Depeche Mode, i love their cover of "Route 66." it uses the overdubs and backing tracks of "Behind the Wheel" and appropriately tacked it on as the b-side. Martin Gore sings the studio version but Dave Gahan sings it live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Carpathian Forest - A Forest (cure cover)
This one has teeth, supremely dark and evil, Bong would flip his lid if he heard this!

ooh... sounds interesting! i'm gonna have to track this down.

a few more covers:
Ride's "The Model" (Kraftwerk) sounds EXACTLY like the original... instead of a thick German accent, the song is sung in a wispy, British accent. hilarious.

Elbow's "Independent Woman" (Destiny's Child) it wasn't officially released, but was done for a radio session. i'm sure people has heard it since it was famously used for those "Played By Kittens" flash animation. Elbow is a dark, brooding band, so to hear a totally silly cover version complete with xylophones, accordian, and a thick, deep british singer makes it even more funny.

The Boo Radleys' "True Faith" (New Order) they turn a synth-pop classic into a noisy, swirling, shoegaze anthem... awesome.

May 13, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 50
fIREHOSE - Sophisticated B*tch (Public Enemy)

they also do a fantastic cover of Superchunk's "Slack Motherf**ker" on the same live album.

May 13, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #24 of 50
Oops, we are talking cover songs not cover art.
redface.gif

Anyways... favourite cover songs:

Placebo - Where is my Mind [The Pixies]
Tricky - The Love Cats [The Cure]
Jamie Cullum - Wind Cries Mary [Jimi Hendrix]
Rage Against the Machine ft. Chuck D - Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos [Public Enemy]
...the Tricky cover of this is classic as well.

May 13, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

See totalitarian Serb metal-stompers, Laibach's nearly complete cover of the Fab-4's Let It Be.

Just a small correction here: Laibach are from Slovenia, not Serbia. "Laibach" is a German word for Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia.

The band did a handful of covers in their 17 albums; Let It Be, The Final Countdown, Life Is Life being their most famous.

I wouldn`t call them metal either, but that`s another story.
wink.gif

May 13, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #26 of 50
I _love_ cover songs. But I prefer it when the artist completely changes the song to fit their style, I really hated the limp bizkit cover of Behind Blue Eyes. It sounded exactly like the Who's version except for the guitar solo being replaced by a 1980's speak and spell.

Muse - House of The Rising Sun
Originally by The Animals, it's a classic and Muse does it well all be it a shortened version.
Muse - Please, Please, Please
Another one that muse rocked to it's soul, Originally by The Smiths
Cat Power - Wonderwall
Just what this song needed, a more folk/bluesy version. Originally by Oasis
Jeff Buckley - The Way Young Lovers Do
Really good song, Originally by Van Morrison
Jeff Buckley - Strange Fruit
The intro is really good, and his voice really lends itself to the song well, Originally by Billie Holliday
Lucky7 - Back That Ass Up
A punk version of back that ass up...!? Originally by Juvenile

I have tons more, I'll post as I think of them.

May 13, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #27 of 50
The Chinese lanquage translation of the Zepplin tune "Dazed and Confused" by Bongwater called "Dazed and Chinese"...

Christina's early-80's Diva-spin on Van Morrison's "Blue Money" makes me feel dirty...

Zappa's cover of "Stairway to Heaven" from the '88 tour = 5-piece horn section playing the guitar solo note-for-note...

Tex and the Horseheads' version of "Slip Away" is beautiful pouty copunkabillyraunch....

I'm sure there's more in my music collection - must pay attention this weekend.

ok,
erix

May 13, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by erix
The Chinese lanquage translation of the Zepplin tune "Dazed and Confused" by Bongwater called "Dazed and Chinese"...

oh man! i've actually been listening to my old bongwater collection the past few days. they've got some fantastically twisted covers... great originals too.

May 13, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #29 of 50
My favourite cover has to be Lemar's version of The Darkness's I Believe In A Thing Called Love - For those who ain't heard of Lemar, he's a British RnB guy, similar to Craig David. Not a huge fan, but he's version of The Darkness classic has to be one of the best, most tasteful and intriguing covers I've heard.

I also saw Maroon 5 live before they were famous, and most people will know that they do a cover song at the end of each gig. I saw them cover Closer by Nine Inch Nails, that was an AWESOME cover. They also covered Oasis's "Don't Look Back In Anger" the third time I saw them (seeing as I come from Manchester).

I love Marilyn Manson's cover of Tainted Love, but it's kinda expected, it's not "weird".

Actually, I've worked out what the weirdest cover is... It's probably G4's cover of Bohemian Rhapsody. It's also the worst cover ever. Chopped the song in half!!! It's a shame really. Those guys (opera reality stars) had the potential to make a cracking version of the song, but instead they ruined it.

Also, Electric Six's cover of Radio Ga Ga was a bit disappointing... I spent ages looking forward to that!!!

Oh, I forgot all the Manic Street Preachers covers!!! Their live cover of It's So Easy (GnR) is great, as is their cover of Camper Van Beethoven's Take The Skinheads Bowling and Andy Williams's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, but their weirdest cover has to be their cover of Nirvana's Been A Son... The slide guitar is eeeeeerie

May 13, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

I also saw Maroon 5 live before they were famous, and most people will know that they do a cover song at the end of each gig. I saw them cover Closer by Nine Inch Nails, that was an AWESOME cover.

WTH Maroon 5 doing closer?

I think that is the weirdest cover mentioned yet. Kind of funny though in a creepy sort of way. *shudders*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back