What are you favorite weird covers?
May 12, 2005 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

EdipisReks

Banned
mine would have to be Ministry's cover of Lay Lady Lay. i love Ministry, and i love Dylan, but what the hell?!
confused.gif

May 12, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 50
Its not too much of a stretch but any thread about covers should include

Tool's cover of No Quarter By Led Zeppelin.

May 12, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 50
Helmet - "Army of Me" by Bjork

Revolting Cocks - "Physical" (kind of) by Olivia Newton John. It was RevCo right? or was it Ministry.. does it matter?

Dinosaur Jr. - "Just like Heaven" by the Cure

Minutemen - "Dr. Wu" by Steely Dan and "Aint Talkin' 'bout Love" by Van Halen

Dazzling Killmen - "Poptones" by Public Image Ltd (actually this one fit their style perfectly)

Husker Du - "Eight Miles High" by the Byrds

May 12, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Dinosaur Jr. - "Just like Heaven" by the Cure

dinosaur jr. also does a knock-down version of neil young's "it's gonna take a lotta love," with j. mascis screaming at one point: "I'VE GOT A LOT OF LOVE AND YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT!!!"

Quote:

Husker Du - "Eight Miles High" by the Byrds

and don't forget their brilliant version of "Love is All Around (Theme to the Mary Tyler Moore Show)."

i'll add:

Sonic Youth (nez Ciccone Youth) playing Madonna's "Burnin' Up" with mike watt on vocals.

May 12, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
dinosaur jr. also does a knock-down version of neil young's "it's gonna take a lotta love," with j. mascis screaming at one point: "I'VE GOT A LOT OF LOVE AND YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT!!!"

and don't forget their brilliant version of "Love is All Around (Theme to the Mary Tyler Moore Show)."

i'll add:

Sonic Youth (nez Ciccone Youth) playing Madonna's "Burnin' Up" with mike watt on vocals.

Both of those covers by Husker Du are classics (on the same lp too, I recollect).

"Satisfaction" - covered by Devo
"Sunshine Superman" - covered by Mel Torme
"The Beatles Medley" - covers by Eugene Chadbourne, guested by John Zorn on LSD / C&W

May 12, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 50
Disturbed doing Shout by Tears for Fears

May 12, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 50
how about Metallica doing 'turn the page' by Bob Seger

the metallica cover seems unlikely and im not a huge fan of them, but i like it.

May 12, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 50
Elakelaiset covering Nirvana, Iron Maiden, Scooter...

Beatallica singing fake Beatles lyrics along Metallica melodies, or is it the other way around, not sure actually.

both very weird and utterly funny

edit:

Just take a look at the tracklist of Beatallica`s album A Garage Dayz Night :

Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band
For Horsemen
No Remorseful Reply
The Thing That Should Not Let It Be
Everybody's Got A Ticket To Ride Except For Me And My Lightning
...And Justice For All My Loving
We Can Hit The Lightz
Hey Dude
I Wanna Choke Your Band

icon10.gif

Beatallica is NOT selling CD's, so hear the songs here

May 12, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 50
The cover art for 'And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart' is pretty crazy...

TODCD_716.jpg

May 12, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 50
Butthole Surfers - "Hurdy Gurdy Man" by Donovan and "American Woman" by The Guess Who

Camper Van Beethoven - "Pictures of Matchstick Men" by The Status Quo(actually, this is a very faithful cover)

Bauhaus - "Ziggy Stardust" by Bowie (pretty logical cover for them, actually)

Love & Rockets - "Ball of Confusion" by the Temptations

This Mortal Coil - about half the songs they did are covers, but my favorite is their cover of "You and Your Sister" by Chris Bell of Big Star. Beautifully sung by Kim Deal and Tanya Donnelly, the song takes on a whole new feel, but is still amazingly accurate to the original.

Oh yea, and who could forget the Dead Kennedys' versions of the Rawhide theme and Elvis' "Viva Las Vegas".. (with a few lyrical liberties of course)

-jar

May 12, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by miroslav
The Thing That Should Not Let It Be

Should have any Metallica fan ROFLYAO.

smily_headphones1.gif

Beatles fans will probably be very confused.. hehe.

"When I find myself in times of trouble, hybrid children come to meahhh"

lol

-jar

May 12, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #13 of 50
More disturbing Beatles covers. . .

See totalitarian Serb metal-stompers, Laibach's nearly complete cover of the Fab-4's Let It Be.

Striking, unusual, impressive. Hard to forget. Not one of my favourites.

-- Now Eugene Chadbourne crooning the first stanza of "Starting Over" while a berzerk Southern Evangelist on betaamphetamine rants in the background on the other hand. . .

May 12, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 50
One of my favorite covers is "Purple Haze" by The Cure. As far as weird covers, I would have to say Guns and Roses cover of Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die" is pretty weird. [...and who can forget William Shatner's cover of The Beatles "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds!" Now that's weird!!!]
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back