What are you eating now?
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #1,021 of 1,289
Mexican Chicken Soup

It’s another one of those popular dishes that most people don’t know about because you won’t find it in mainstream Americanized Mexican restaurants.

But you will see it more often in Mexican communities and it is delicious.

In my opinion, chicken soups of Mexico, and South America are usually better than the USA version.

D09B541D-D737-4225-901D-394406E69266.jpeg

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,022 of 1,289
You are very adventurous when it comes to dining out Spareribs! It's always interesting to see all the foods you've run into.

I've been hunting around for what's the best frozen burger patty lately so that I can make burgers at home. I prefer to go frozen so I don't get leftover ground beef. I tried the local kroger brand 80/20 and it was fairly avg (I'd say below avg, and also, it didn't taste like 20% fat), and then I went to Costco and picked up some 75/25 angus frozen patties. After trying out the Costco Angus frozen patties, I'm starting to believe angus patties are better frozen or not. Also, the Costco 1/3 patties look bigger than the Kroger one. Quality of the patties seem to make the most difference with burgers. I also like quality buns as well. Digging around for quality Broiche buns (gourmet burgers uses quality Broiche buns). Probably try out Bubba frozen patties next. Wanted to try their frozen angus.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,024 of 1,289
Indigirka ( Siberian dish)

What is Indigirka?

It’s frozen raw fish with onions, oil and salt. And it’s unthawed so it basically has that frozen popsicle texture.

In Siberia, particularly in the Yakutia region, eating frozen unthawed fish is a part of the culture.

In fact, in cultures near the Arctic circle, eating frozen iced meat is actually normal.

I like this dish. But make sure you have good strong teeth.

DE8ED991-8FDC-4EDC-9B10-E06BF519386E.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #1,025 of 1,289
Biltong

What is Biltong?

It’s South African dried beef. Similar to beef jerky.

Sitting at the bar this South African platter has perri perri and garlic flavored biltong as well as droewors which is like dried sausage jerky.

The flavors of South Africa are a delight and goes well with beer and cocktails.

D9FA279E-26A8-4A16-A667-2D132A681D5E.jpeg

Also this bar had some nice big windows near the ceiling which provided great lighting for the photo op.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,026 of 1,289
Chicken Momo ( dish of Nepal )

What is Momo?

It’s a dumpling from Nepal that looks like Chinese dumplings but the dipping sauce is tomato based and tastes like Indian food.

Why does It look like Chinese food with an Indian style sauce?

If you look at the map of Asia, Nepal’s border touches the border of China. Nepal’s border also touches India too.

As a result you will have a food that has characteristics of Chinese and Indian food. Even though the sauce is tomato based, it does not taste like Italian food. Many people think tomatoes are an Italian thing but tomatoes are also used a lot in Indian food too.

My delicious Momo had chicken but other meats can be used too such as goat meat.

D8A365B2-C828-4EDD-8350-FBACD75632B4.jpeg

Speaking of Momos….Here’s a pretty lady eating a 100 momos.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,027 of 1,289
Biltong

What is Biltong?

It’s South African dried beef. Similar to beef jerky.

Sitting at the bar this South African platter has perri perri and garlic flavored biltong as well as droewors which is like dried sausage jerky.

The flavors of South Africa are a delight and goes well with beer and cocktails.

Also this bar had some nice big windows near the ceiling which provided great lighting for the photo op.
wow, that looks like the most legit jerky I've ever seen. very fancy lookin. Is there some good ones you can order online? I doubt that my local supermarket carries them, unless whole foods have some good ones.

Chicken Momo ( dish of Nepal )

What is Momo?

It’s a dumpling from Nepal that looks like Chinese dumplings but the dipping sauce is tomato based and tastes like Indian food.

Why does It look like Chinese food with an Indian style sauce?

If you look at the map of Asia, Nepal’s border touches the border of China. Nepal’s border also touches India too.

As a result you will have a food that has characteristics of Chinese and Indian food. Even though the sauce is tomato based, it does not taste like Italian food. Many people think tomatoes are an Italian thing but tomatoes are also used a lot in Indian food too.

My delicious Momo had chicken but other meats can be used too such as goat meat.

That just looks like typical gyoza, just the sauce is different. It's like getting BTS menu with only difference is the sauce.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,028 of 1,289
wow, that looks like the most legit jerky I've ever seen. very fancy lookin. Is there some good ones you can order online? I doubt that my local supermarket carries them, unless whole foods have some good ones.

That just looks like typical gyoza, just the sauce is different. It's like getting BTS menu with only difference is the sauce.

Yes it does look similar to gyoza and the taste is also similar too. It’s probably better to just get a good gyoza dish instead but if you’re interested in the Nepal vibe, get the Momo. Personally I prefer gyoza but I have been proven wrong in the past.

I’m not sure if the South African beef jerky can be good to order on line. I tried it from Amazon and it was not good. The place I had it made on the premises. Basically a home made version. Your mileage may vary. It’s basically undiscovered territory so I don’t know the answers.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,029 of 1,289
Japanese ice cream

Flavored with matcha green tea. Matcha green tea ice cream is popular in Kyoto Japan and I’ve also seen it at the international airport too outside of Tokyo.

Occasionally you can find it in America and this is actually a good clone of the Kyoto version. Probably because the place gets their matcha supply from Kyoto to make it easier to replicate.

Also the matcha version of green tea is considered to be of high quality and I think it’s delicious. You can also find Japanese matcha green tea Kit Kat candy bars if you search around in major cities in your region.

21A268F7-29DE-4F94-A6EE-96685F5B6D29.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,030 of 1,289
Japanese ice cream

Flavored with matcha green tea. Matcha green tea ice cream is popular in Kyoto Japan and I’ve also seen it at the international airport too outside of Tokyo.

Occasionally you can find it in America and this is actually a good clone of the Kyoto version. Probably because the place gets their matcha supply from Kyoto to make it easier to replicate.

Also the matcha version of green tea is considered to be of high quality and I think it’s delicious. You can also find Japanese matcha green tea Kit Kat candy bars if you search around in major cities in your region.

21A268F7-29DE-4F94-A6EE-96685F5B6D29.jpeg
That looks damn good! I luv matcha. I like Matcha late with soy milk. It has to be Japanese grade matcha.

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #1,032 of 1,289
Premium quality bacon

High quality applewood smoked bacon served with a side of house made peanut butter and a side of chipotle pepper infused maple syrup. You can see the side sauces at the bottom of the rack. This bar did a fine job.

This is bacon heaven.

Beautiful high end bacon here!

5E61EAA3-8857-441B-A630-B4D84B9A7FF0.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #1,033 of 1,289
Premium quality bacon

High quality applewood smoked bacon served with a side of house made peanut butter and a side of chipotle pepper infused maple syrup. You can see the side sauces at the bottom of the rack. This bar did a fine job.

This is bacon heaven.

Beautiful high end bacon here!

Those bacon make me tear up. The most beautiful bacon I've ever seen! Nice, I wonder if the bacon is the thick ones you get at wholefoods, and it has the marinade over it before toasting? blow torch toasting? I wonder how they got it so nicely toasted and browned like that?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,034 of 1,289
^ That’s a good question. I don’t think it was marinated but maybe I’m wrong. I’m curious too where they got that bacon. It could have been from a special farm.

My guess is that the bacon was probably cooked in an oven. I do know that some bacon aficionados believe that bacon is best cooked in an oven. Maybe some type of convection oven or broiler to give it that toasted look?

i know that Whole Foods does sell high quality bacon so you probably can get something similar to that. I do agree that it is the best bacon presentation I’ve ever seen in a restaurant. It is visually stunning if you love bacon.

By the way, that bacon entree cost $12 so it was reasonably priced in my opinion for something fancy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back