What are the negatives of owning the K701?
Feb 27, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
They are pretty similar. Main differences I heard was K701 has alot deeper bass and punchier, mids are more liquid, overall more refined and higher resolution. K701 takes K501 to whole new level.

Wow. I've heard the 501 briefly, and liked it quite a lot. If it's basically similar to the 701...that makes 'em quite a deal at $129.

Must...resist...temptation.
eek.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 75
They're too white. iPod white.

That and $300 less in your wallet (or so).

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #19 of 75
The biggest negative that I can see is that when the Sennheiser HD700 comes out in a few months which might stomp all over it,you will then be due for a new upgrade.Until then knock your lights out.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #20 of 75
Considering previous comments on this thread, and how the K701 is described as 'very neutral', and a 'safe approach to sound' by being a "jack of all trades, master of none"... I would like opinions on how one could take advantage of those features in order to tweak the sound to almost anyone's liking.

Given an EQ with enough bands (>=20, say), wouldn't it be feasable to give some more 'slam' to the bass of these babies? Mind you, I'm new enough here that I have not looked into people's opinions on equalizing, either with an external equalizer or with software equalizers in the case of using PC as a source. In principle, this makes sense to me and would allow this headphones to 'become a master' of almost everything they can already do 'neutrally'.

I used to toy around with my dad's stereo equalizer when I was a kid, have fond memories of that ^_^

Hope I'm not confusing anybody ^_^

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #21 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
The biggest negative that I can see is that when the Sennheiser HD700 comes out in a few months which might stomp all over it,you will then be due for a new upgrade.Until then knock your lights out.

I was under the impression that the HD700 was at least a year away...

Speaking of Sennheiser, anybody have the chance to listen to both the H595 and the K701? I've heard people comment that the 701 is similiar in sound to the HD595, only much, much better.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #22 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Having never heard these $$$ headphones which you speak of, could you compare the bass of the K701 to maybe the A900? Some complain that it's not bassy enough, but others say it has good solid and tight bass. I really liked the bass of the A900 (was able to hear a lot of texture), but I could see how it wouldn't be enough for a bass-head. Maybe the K701 is similar?

Perfect... just what I was looking for. Would you call them a satisfying no-need-to-upgrade-for-a-while headphone?

Well, speaking personally, I wasn't totally satisfied with them. They left me wanting more, but the HD650 takes care of that. If you get them, you might be totally fulfilled! As well, I'd really like the chance to sit down with these and a DT880. I suspect I like the 880 better because of the sparkling treble.

I can't say for sure, and I only did spend an hour or so with them. Once again, I can't really fault the bass at all. It wasn't as much as the 650, but it was there, and it was pleasant. Good build and comfort, I must say. Even the iPodness of them looked cool in person.

Be warned, they require some SERIOUS juice.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #23 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geist
I was under the impression that the HD700 was at least a year away...

Speaking of Sennheiser, anybody have the chance to listen to both the H595 and the K701? I've heard people comment that the 701 is similiar in sound to the HD595, only much, much better.

Huh, I didn't really think of that. They were both at that meet too...

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #24 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
So basically the 701s do not have the impact in the bass area compared to 650s? Are the 601s supposed to be "bassier"?? I need to do a search I guess.

The K601 is quite bass-light in comparison to the HD-650 and even MS-2 in Bowls. The bass amount and impact are good to me (tight and tuneful), but it does not extend as far down. This sounds evident with bassy songs and some orchestral works. And I was wondering if the K701 would have more bass...

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #25 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
The K601 is quite bass-light in comparison to the HD-650 and even MS-2 in Bowls. The bass amount and impact are good to me (tight and tuneful), but it does not extend as far down. This sounds evident with bassy songs and some orchestral works. And I was wondering if the K701 would have more bass...

Not really what I wanted to hear (about the K601s) but thanks for the information.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #27 of 75
Quote:

What are the negatives of owning the K701?

There are no negatives of owning ANY phones here in head-fi (even boses
biggrin.gif
).
The very serious crime here - NOT to own ANY phones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #28 of 75
The AKG K701 is the best dynamic headphone for under $2000!

Except perhaps for the Sony SA5000, and of course, the headphone you, the reader of this post, own.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #30 of 75
One negative aspect of the K701 is the fact that the K601 sounds so strikingly similar to it. Using a variety of systems (Lacry/Dynahi & DAC1/Mcubed, among others) the K601 and the K701 sounded remarkably similar. Perhaps there were subtle differences, but they were difficult to distinguish (whereas differences among the K701/DT880/HD650 were effortlessly evident). Of course these impressions were in a meet environment, which is the second-worst atmosphere for proper comparisons (please don't ask what the top-worst location is); however, the similarities were enough to prompt me to buy the K601 for a more thorough experience (plus the K601 is more comfortable and better-looking, IMO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back