What are the negatives of owning the K701?
Feb 27, 2006 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

spaceconvoy

1000+ Head-Fier
Because it worked so well for the DT880, and because I just placed an order at Headroom and they say I have about a week before they ship, I'd like to get some negative opinions to maybe save me $300
icon10.gif
So far it seems like mostly glowing reviews, but no headphone can be as perfect as some posts claim - "K701 is a gift from the gods"
basshead.gif
Come on, there's got to be something wrong with it!

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 75
Negatives?
- It might displace your previous favorite, and you'll have to waste time unloading that one for cheaper than you thought you should get for it.
- You'll want to share your joy, post a lot about it and you'll be accused of being an AKG K701 fanboy. People will also label your posts as "Flavour of the month syndrome"
- People call think your headphones look like a toilet bowl.
- You will be $300 poorer.
- You'll be running it night and day for a week to get past the 100+ minimum recommended break-in, and your wife will be complaining that you are wasting electricity (based on a true story) whenever she sees your rig all lit up all week long.

Personally, the ONLY negative is I wish the AKG K701 had about 2dB more mid bass output in the midbass for slightly more bass impact. Not a biggie though

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 75
The biggest negative is that AKG has been slow getting them out to dealers so everybody bugs us few that have them for impressions .... and then refuse to believe what we say.
icon10.gif

Seriously, the most obvious negative might be that for some the bass IS NOT senn 600/650, grado RS-1/PS-1 rich and weighty. But this trait is actually what helps make them sound so neutral and balanced. I sometimes wish for a little more bass weight but that seems very music/ recording specific.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Seriously, the most obvious negative might be that for some the bass IS NOT senn 600/650, grado RS-1/PS-1 rich and weighty. But this trait is actually what helps make them sound so neutral and balanced. I sometimes wish for a little more bass weight but that seems very music/ recording specific.

I agree the most noticable thing is that the
basshead.gif
is not as prominant. That is not to say it isn't there. Under, close inspection one will notice that the bass is tight and tuneful albeit small.

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 75
So basically the 701s do not have the impact in the bass area compared to 650s? Are the 601s supposed to be "bassier"?? I need to do a search I guess.

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 75
I haven't had the luxury of hearing the 701's yet, but if you're looking for heavy bass AKG probably is not your bag. At least their high end headphones anyway. I own the K340's that a lot of people think are bass shy. I prefer the more nuetral quality, and have never thought them to be bass shy, just not bass prominent.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 75
The 701s have decent enough bass IMO and have a very clean sound. They won't slam like some other cans but I really didn't feel like they had weak bass either - this was testing them with some electronica.

I like them a lot but decided to go with the SR-325i instead as I prefer a bit more of a fun sound - the AKGs are a little bit on the analytical side for me.

Comfort is hands down in the AKGs favor but I preferred the SRs sound enough that it will be my next purchase.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
So basically the 701s do not have the impact in the bass area compared to 650s? Are the 601s supposed to be "bassier"?? I need to do a search I guess.

I compared the 650 and the 701 on various amps, and came to the conclusion that the 701 lacked the body and warmth that the 650 has. I didn't feel like I was losing detail when I went to the 650, either. I didn't find any problem with the bass though.

Nice, comfy cans though, really well built and better looking than in pictures. They just didn't tickle my ears' fancy like the HD650s do.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I compared the 650 and the 701 on various amps, and came to the conclusion that the 701 lacked the body and warmth that the 650 has. I didn't feel like I was losing detail when I went to the 650, either. I didn't find any problem with the bass though.

Nice, comfy cans though, really well built and better looking than in pictures. They just didn't tickle my ears' fancy like the HD650s do.

Thanks for the info.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 75
I've heard the 701 at two meets, and I was not impressed by it at either time. I listened to the 701 more carefully at the recent Miami meet, and compared it with an HD580. Perhaps my hearing, or listening skills, are off, but I preferred the 580. The sound of the HD580 seemed more rich and full, especially in the mid and lower bass regions. The 701 sounded cold and sterile; i.e., it lacked warmth and fullness. Although my comments run counter to those of most everyone else, I had the same opinion following both listening sessions with this headphone.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 75
You'll have to search hard to find negatives on K701. My only complaint was not enough bass (compared to HD650). That can be negative/positive depending on your preferences.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
You'll have to search hard to find negatives on K701. My only complaint was not enough bass (compared to HD650). That can be negative/positive depending on your preferences.

I think a lot of this is the investment factor... if you've spent $400 on them, you really want to like them at first. And since supply has been so limited, anyone who would speak against them would pretty much be swamped in questions by other Fi'ers who have them on order, and have to wait. Those wouldn't be happy Fi'ers.

At the meet, lan said something that I think accurately described these. His words were "They took a very safe route with the sound." I think that's sort of important to keep in mind... the sound is fairly inoffensive, but they didn't take the risk (such as the HD650's sound does) that might have made them truly extraordinary headphones. They just didn't strike me as special, though they WERE quite competant.

In short, I'd probably call them a "Jack of all Trades, Master of None."

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover

Having never heard these $$$ headphones which you speak of, could you compare the bass of the K701 to maybe the A900? Some complain that it's not bassy enough, but others say it has good solid and tight bass. I really liked the bass of the A900 (was able to hear a lot of texture), but I could see how it wouldn't be enough for a bass-head. Maybe the K701 is similar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
In short, I'd probably call them a "Jack of all Trades, Master of None."

Perfect... just what I was looking for. Would you call them a satisfying no-need-to-upgrade-for-a-while headphone?

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
So...701 is not bassy, but neither is the 501. How does it compare to the 501? Is the overall tonal balance and presentation the same?

They are pretty similar. Main differences I heard was K701 has alot deeper bass and punchier, mids are more liquid, overall more refined and higher resolution. K701 takes K501 to whole new level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back