What are the negatives of owning the K701?
Feb 28, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #31 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The biggest negative is that AKG has been slow getting them out to dealers so everybody bugs us few that have them for impressions .... and then refuse to believe what we say.
icon10.gif

Seriously, the most obvious negative might be that for some the bass IS NOT senn 600/650, grado RS-1/PS-1 rich and weighty. But this trait is actually what helps make them sound so neutral and balanced. I sometimes wish for a little more bass weight but that seems very music/ recording specific.

I think that is one of the hallmarks of neutral bass. Some recordings have it and some don't. A pair of phones that has strong bass impact on everything played through it cannot be neutral in the bass IMHO. Some of the finest loudspeakers (and associated systems) exhibit the same phenomenon.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
I think that is one of the hallmarks of neutral bass. Some recordings have it and some don't. A pair of phones that has strong bass impact on everything played through it cannot be neutral in the bass IMHO. Some of the finest loudspeakers (and associated systems) exhibit the same phenomenon.

I could not agree with you more. Exactly one part of why I find the SA5K/Qualia more neutral, and the HD650, PS1, and L3K anything but neutral (not to say they aren't enjoyable though).

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #33 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I think a lot of this is the investment factor... if you've spent $400 on them, you really want to like them at first. And since supply has been so limited, anyone who would speak against them would pretty much be swamped in questions by other Fi'ers who have them on order, and have to wait. Those wouldn't be happy Fi'ers.

At the meet, lan said something that I think accurately described these. His words were "They took a very safe route with the sound." I think that's sort of important to keep in mind... the sound is fairly inoffensive, but they didn't take the risk (such as the HD650's sound does) that might have made them truly extraordinary headphones. They just didn't strike me as special, though they WERE quite competant.

In short, I'd probably call them a "Jack of all Trades, Master of None."

Maybe neutral is the word you're were looking for?

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
One negative aspect of the K701 is the fact that the K601 sounds so strikingly similar to it. Using a variety of systems (Lacry/Dynahi & DAC1/Mcubed, among others) the K601 and the K701 sounded remarkably similar. Perhaps there were subtle differences, but they were difficult to distinguish (whereas differences among the K701/DT880/HD650 were effortlessly evident). Of course these impressions were in a meet environment, which is the second-worst atmosphere for proper comparisons (please don't ask what the top-worst location is); however, the similarities were enough to prompt me to buy the K601 for a more thorough experience (plus the K601 is more comfortable and better-looking, IMO).

Art: I wouldn't doubt that one bit.

Companies always make a higher priced model with a minor difference from the next lower priced model, knowing that jerks like me will pay the extra money thinking that it is better when it is functionally the same.

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #35 of 75
The worst part is I already own the K701 and now I bought another headphone, simply for comparison purposes...
eek.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #36 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
WRT your question or what you were hoping to hear?

It's just that I am looking for a good all around can once again and to hear it is lighter than the 650 in the bass freq is disheartening. Thanks though, you probably saved me a good $300.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
It's just that I am looking for a good all around can once again and to hear it is lighter than the 650 in the bass freq is disheartening. Thanks though, you probably saved me a good $300.
smily_headphones1.gif

Depends on what you listen to, I suppose. The K601 sounds terrific (and sweet) with piano, accoustics, flutes and any instruments within that frequency region. It's just not as 'quantitative' in the bass department though and falls short with pop & bassy materials. It is also fairly inefficient and definitely needs an amp to drive it. Looks like my MS-2 will still be stuck as my PC-listening phones.

And if NeilPeart is saying the K601 & K701 sound similar, I guess I can quit wondering how much better the K701 is (esp. wrt bass).

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #38 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
And if NeilPeart is saying the K601 & K701 sound similar, I guess I can quit wondering how much better the K701 is (esp. wrt bass).

The two brothers sound very close to each other but not EXACTLY identical - there were some subtle differences but perhaps those were figments of the meet atmosphere or aberrations in my listening. Also, differences don't necessarily imply positives or negatives. However, all these opinions (drivel) are by no means a final judgment, especially from anyone as loony as me. I have ordered the K601 to enjoy them in the comfort and stability of my own, familiar system. Only after several months of listening will I be ready to make the decision for myself (I still encourage others to listen for themselves - I'm sure many would disagree with me regarding the K601/701). I'm still working to decide among the DT880, HD650 and K701!

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geist
Speaking of Sennheiser, anybody have the chance to listen to both the H595 and the K701? I've heard people comment that the 701 is similiar in sound to the HD595, only much, much better.

What, "much, much better" ? I don't think so!
smily_headphones1.gif

NeilPeart, you've been convincing. I've long been inspired by the K601 (much rather than the K701) and now I think I'll save up to buy one.

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #40 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I compared the 650 and the 701 on various amps, and came to the conclusion that the 701 lacked the body and warmth that the 650 has. I didn't feel like I was losing detail when I went to the 650, either. I didn't find any problem with the bass though.

Nice, comfy cans though, really well built and better looking than in pictures. They just didn't tickle my ears' fancy like the HD650s do.

Thanks for going against the tide, this is (definitively) revealing to me personally.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
The AKG K701 is the best dynamic headphone for under $2000!
Except perhaps for the Sony SA5000, and of course, the headphone you, the reader of this post, own.

LOL, the most inspiring post I have read in a long time, just at a time when I was ready to give up and take a break from this rat race we call a hobby.

Thanks, Art! :)

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #42 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
this rat race we call a hobby.

Agreed
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #43 of 75
I'm considering (not too seriously at this stage) the K 601 as well -- since my pair of K 701 has a really strong bass, even compared to the HD 650, and all I'd wish was a bit more (lower) midrange and midrange liquidity. So maybe the K 601 could offer this, thanks to its leaner bass -- in exchange for a slightly brighter sonic balance...? (That doesn't mean I'm unhappy with the K 701!) NeilPeart and others, please report your findings!

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #44 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I'm considering (not too seriously at this stage) the K 601 as well -- since my pair of K 701 has a really strong bass, even compared to the HD 650, and all I'd wish was a bit more (lower) midrange and midrange liquidity. So maybe the K 601 could offer this, thanks to its leaner bass -- in exchange for a slightly brighter sonic balance...? NeilPeart and others, please report your findings!

JaZZ, we seem to be back on roughly the same track in the end, don't we?
redface.gif

Quote:

(That doesn't mean I'm unhappy with the K 701!)

Certainly, I guess it doesn't mean but what it means.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #45 of 75
By reading of all those comments just getting some feelings that I am not sure at all about what I have to think about AKG K701 bass.
confused.gif

More than that, if this true that they are very close to 501, well for someone who not that freaking audiophile IS THIS REALLY GOOD IDEA to buy them, don't think so. To tell you the true I haven't read any of comments before that can shock me. Like WOW HOLY MOLLY you must buy them, because.....
I would like to hear an honest and strong review some day, from somebody who neutral enough himself in the first place. And not from some GRADO or Sennheiser rusty fan, who can only say, or I miss this and this, what I can hear from my HD650 or HF 1 or what ever. Who needs that?
I think the big problem is that not enough time past by at the moment to make any definitions about 701 at all. Its still the matter of taste anyway. I love AKG products and really want to try 701 model and share this with you, but... Unfortunately in my home town is not possible to have any listen session with it at the moment. But to buy one for EUR 330 only for trying, well sorry but I don't need that kind of surprises.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back