What are the most useful reference headphones?
Jan 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Brownstone

New Head-Fier
Is there any good guidance on what models would be considered the most useful "reference" headphones?

I'm probably using the word "reference" in a very specific way, so let me define what I'm really looking for.  What models of headphones are so widely owned and understood that they can be used to make meaningful comparison to other headphones?

Here's an example:

Sally: Have you listened to the new Bazqux 2000 headphones yet? They are fabulous!
John: No, what do they sound like?
Sally: Imagine listening to a Reference 88 except with a little more response in the 20-150Hz range.
John: Oh, that really sounds like something I'd like!

So really my questions is: what models of headphones can generally serve as the "Reference 88" in the above conversation? What models can serve as point of meaningful comparison that many aficionados would have experience with?

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 6
Any of the long surviving headphones, really
Chances are people have heard them and know what you're talking about
Audio Technica M50s
Sony 7506/V6
Beyerdynamic DT48
Grados

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 6
I would also recommend looking at Sennheiser HD-600. I had gotten them mine in 2000 (14 years ago!) based on Stereophile recommended products listing (way before HD-650 or HD-800) and all this time later, they are still considered in the top Class A. That says a lot. Needless to say I'm very happy with them, although they are not without flaws.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 6
If there is any single headphone in the world that is considered a standard reference point to compare all others it would have to be the Sennheiser HD600.

Keep in mind that the HD600 really should not be used as a reference to different designs or technologies, like closed dynamics or electrostatics.  There are fundamental differences that really make it an apples to oranges kind of deal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back