What are the most comfortable headphones regardless of price and sound quality?
Jan 18, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #61 of 104
i prefer headphones that feel exactly like a full size aviation headset.
large padded ear cups. designed for hours of continuous use. solid build. snug fit, so if i look down at my feet they don't slide off the front of my jean luc picard shaped noggin.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #62 of 104
Comfort is definitely subjective but I think my dt770's are very comfortable, but I also think the lightweight bose headphones are very comfortable as well. I haven't tried them on in a long while, but from what I remember nothing is more comfortable. On a long airplane flight I'll still have to take off my 770's for a bit but I feel like the bose wouldn't be a problem. If only they sounded good :frowning2:

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #63 of 104
All the headphones mentioned so far are not what i would call "comfortable", they are simply wearable while not being uncomfortable! If you want a comfortable headphone, the Yamaha MT220 is the king of comfort. It is 'supremely' comfortable, utterly luxurious while not being flimsy. I've worn and used all the headphones mentioned in this thread, especially the Senn HD600 blah blah, these are not comfortable per-se, they simply sit on your head without annoying you. The MT220 feels like luxury, it's the most comfortable headphone i've ever worn or owned. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #65 of 104
  Funny how we can see things differently. I owned the Stax 407 and found it very uncomfortable. I even bought the 507 ear pads to try on my 407's to see if I could live with them and it was only a minor improvement. I sold them only because of the comfort issue. I have the HD800 and find that the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn next to the Sony MDR-F1 which I owned for twenty years until they finally fell apart from use.

Hah! That is quite funny.
It is pretty amazing how different we all are as far as what we find comfortable. I also have a pair of Grado RS1s and I love the way they sound but I can't wear them for longer than 45min at a time. I've seen other folks say they can wear the Grados all day no problem. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - it takes all types! 

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #66 of 104
+1 on the bose sound true! Definitely don't sound too good, ok for the 100$ range, but supremely comfortable, more so than the uber comfortable denon d600 which sounds much better. If you are looking for an open back, nothing is more comfortable than the sony ma900.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #67 of 104
+1 on the bose sound true! Definitely don't sound too good, ok for the 100$ range, but supremely comfortable, more so than the uber comfortable denon d600 which sounds much better. If you are looking for an open back, nothing is more comfortable than the sony ma900.

I always wondered how difficult it'd be to put better headphone drivers in a bose casing. If I weren't selling my Q40's on here I'd probably try that. I feel like it wouldn't be too hard...buy a pair of broken bose headphones for as cheap as possible (shouldn't be too hard since there are also older models that are just as comfortable but no noise cancellation) and then carefully take apart your "good" headphones and replace the bose drivers with the good headphone drivers. Afterall, without the drivers the bose headphones should just be a shell. You could probably put some padding in there too and that would make for a sick pair of cans.

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #68 of 104
That's a fantastic idea! On top of being supremely comfortable, they are very light and well made, AND they fold flat for portable use. They were my first foray into headphones, and with the angled drivers, they have great potential. I think if you lined the back of the cup with Dynamat it would be much cleaner sound than the sound you get from the plastic housings. I actually might pick a pair of ae2's now lol :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #69 of 104
That's a fantastic idea! On top of being supremely comfortable, they are very light and well made, AND they fold flat for portable use. They were my first foray into headphones, and with the angled drivers, they have great potential. I think if you lined the back of the cup with Dynamat it would be much cleaner sound than the sound you get from the plastic housings. I actually might pick a pair of ae2's now lol
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope someone tries this...even my dt770s aren't as comfortable as bose and I hate that they don't fold and take up so much space in my bag. This is a very tempting project

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #70 of 104
Look into these NVX angled ear pads. With a little elbow grease they'll go on Shure 840's which makes me think they'll go on ATH-M50s and possibly other Shure headphones. The other NVX XPT100 standard flat pads might be a good fit for some too the inner ear cavity is something like 5/8"-3/4" deep on those plus it appears to have more clearance for the perimeter of the ear versus the angled pads. My large ears prefer the angled which are extremely deep in the ear cavity. The depth of the massive pads will likely require users to do some bending on the headband on their selected headphone. 

After this warmth appears to be the biggest issue... Too bad they aren't perforated, with some ingenuity or lack of perfectionist tendencies one might be able to remedy this problem...

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #71 of 104
All time most comfortable is SONY MDR-S50, seriously, not kidding, had them since the 80s, still going strong. So old that I had to replace rotted foam with cotton padding. Use them for casual listening... Someone mentioned the YAMAHA MT220: The pads are pleather so they can get pretty warm even in winter. The pads are not quite thick enough, my ears sometimes touch the drivers. Most importantly, they're pretty heavy because they're built tough. The weight is tiring after a while. Good amount of pressure on the top of your head. They also put a fair amount of pressure on your jaw. The pads are extremely soft though, so that's good. Had a chance to compare Yamaha to PSB M4U, Yamaha DEFINITELY more comfortable, by a wide margin.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #72 of 104
  I always wondered how difficult it'd be to put better headphone drivers in a bose casing. If I weren't selling my Q40's on here I'd probably try that. I feel like it wouldn't be too hard...buy a pair of broken bose headphones for as cheap as possible (shouldn't be too hard since there are also older models that are just as comfortable but no noise cancellation) and then carefully take apart your "good" headphones and replace the bose drivers with the good headphone drivers. Afterall, without the drivers the bose headphones should just be a shell. You could probably put some padding in there too and that would make for a sick pair of cans.

Was thinking about this too. When I got some free time & excess cash I might buy a Fostex t50rp and transplant those planar drivers! Not sure if it will even fit inside. Heck if only I had a 3d printer too lol

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #73 of 104
  AKG K1000 for me will always be the last say in comfort.  Haven't ever worn anything that comes remotely close.

That all changed last week... MDR PFR-V1 are a very close second to the legendary AKG.  Listened to the superbowl, some of the pre and post game late into the night last night.  They were on my head probably 6+ hours straight and they completely disappeared on my head.  The (unwatchable) halftime show was the only time I took them off.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #74 of 104
  That all changed last week... MDR PFR-V1 are a very close second to the legendary AKG.  Listened to the superbowl, some of the pre and post game late into the night last night.  They were on my head probably 6+ hours straight and they completely disappeared on my head.  The (unwatchable) halftime show was the only time I took them off.

lolll... that looks super uncomfortable.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #75 of 104
The most comfortable headphone I have tried is the Shure SRH 1840. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back