What are the most comfortable headphones regardless of price and sound quality?
Dec 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #46 of 104
Bose headphones are the most comfortable I've worn. AE2, the QC series, all of them are super nice. Most of the headphones mentioned here are concrete bricks compared to the Bose phones,

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #47 of 104
  Bose headphones are the most comfortable I've worn. AE2, the QC series, all of them are super nice. Most of the headphones mentioned here are concrete bricks compared to the Bose phones,

Gotta agree with you here. Tried an almost identical pair in a shop (soundtrue version). Didn't expect much but these are insanely comfy. Super light about 100 something grams. The headband has a well designed curve that does not pressure the crown of the head like others do and distributes the weight evenly. The earcups are quite small but just big enough to give the ears total clearance after a little adjustment when putting them on.

They even feature angle drivers. I'm going to get a pair for my go to closed headphone. Comfort is key and doubt there is is a closed HP out there that can match it for comfort.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #48 of 104
I identify as having big ears first off. I've had  moderate to modest experience with headphones (ATH-M50, Beyer DT Pro 770s, Shure 840 with velour pads and V-Moda Crossfade with larger pad upgrades.), I have generally been extremely interested in making sure that the headphones I get have very good reviews on comfort. I've also exclusively dealt with closed around ear configurations under $200.

Between these, ATH-M50 and Shure840 are pretty similar... Shure 840s stayed put better and therefore seems more comfortable .The damn headband on the Shure is pretty bad though: not very good weight distribution for my head. I'd say they both are almost like an on-ear/over-ear hybrid since the cups are so shallow; however there is a good amount of space to enclose my ear on the perimeter of the ear. I could imagine for a lot of people that there is a good chance a large region of the face of their ears will touch the inner pads.

The V-Modas with the larger ear pads are still small for my ears but not too shabby (personally I like the synthetic leather and memory foam too). The Beyers are the best of the four (especially after a bit of stretching) still room for improvement though. There is a butt load of space in the DT 770s butt they aren't angled; I can feel the tips of my ear get a bit uncomfortable because I think they are touching the inner ear pad on the "face" of my ear as opposed to the perimeter of the ear... This is frustrating because they were so close to being the ideal. I'm kinda hoping with time that the pads will lose some stiffness/rigidity because they seat on the head a bit firm. 

I Will pursue Mad Dog's, Sony MDR-1R, Sennheiser HD 650s or maybe even the HD 700s (fiscal compromise allowing; also note the last two are the only open configurations I've looked into because I don't like exterior distractions and they seem omnipresent for me).

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #49 of 104
AKG K1000 for me will always be the last say in comfort.  Haven't ever worn anything that comes remotely close.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #50 of 104
Most uncomfortable were my Sony Mdr-v55s, just squeezed my head and I regret getting them. Most comfortable as the Takastar HI 2050s, they are amazingly comfortable but not loose. I think Bose quiet comforts and all the Seinheiser headphones I've tried fall in the middle of these extremes.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #51 of 104
  My personal experience has been that the Stax SR-307s are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

It's worth noting the 207s, 307s, 407s, and 507s are quite similar in structure and should all be equally as comfortable. 

I can wear the Stax for hours at a time before I need to give my ears a break. 

Funny how we can see things differently. I owned the Stax 407 and found it very uncomfortable. I even bought the 507 ear pads to try on my 407's to see if I could live with them and it was only a minor improvement. I sold them only because of the comfort issue. I have the HD800 and find that the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn next to the Sony MDR-F1 which I owned for twenty years until they finally fell apart from use.

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #56 of 104
Shure 1540/1840s. Their alcantara pads have to be the most comfortable out there, and I'm amazed that only one other person has mentioned these.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #57 of 104
  Shure 1540/1840s. Their alcantara pads have to be the most comfortable out there, and I'm amazed that only one other person has mentioned these.

The thin double ridges of the headband are their downfall. For me, got painful after a couple of hours use. Beyer or Senn (HD800/600/650) are like big fluffy pillow comparatively 
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #58 of 104
I've had my crack at a bunch of headphones over the years and I have to say the most comfortable headphones so far are the beyer t1's. Beyer dt1350s are good as well be I've had a bad experience with their headband breaking but peter at beyer told me they fixed it. To be determined.

I have a pretty sensitive head when it comes to pressure and I find the hd650s and m50s to be too clampy also the top band part too hard.

I'd say the denon d2k-7k are comfortable but the top headband has no padding so that sucks.

Shure 1840s are nice but never liked the sound. Oh well

I did like how the Hifiman headphones sounded somewhat but they were way too heavy and put a lot of pressure on the top of my head. Could only wear them for so long and I had to get rid of them.

But thats my two cents on this. I am enjoying this thread as I am picky with the comfort of my headphones.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #60 of 104
When I got into cans and their related accoutrement I went whole hog and got a pair of LCD-2.  I was amazed at what a good headphone could do but the clamping pressure on my mellon and weight took away from the experience.  I picked up a pair of Beyer DT-990's which are MUCH more comfortable and lighter.  The sound is different that the LCD-2 as one would expect but it is quite good.  I still reach for my LCD-2 now and then for critical listening but my daily cans are the DT-990's for comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back