What are the first songs you play through new headphones?
Apr 5, 2007 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tomjonesrocks

100+ Head-Fier
Would be curious what people choose as their first choices to play through new headphones they're demoing. What's the first thing you want to hear?

I generally start with Ulrich Schnauss, Massive Attack, Radiohead, Isis, and Miles Davis--and work from there. Curious what others use for this purpose.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 13
Not a specific song, but I put one something by these artists since I know them well. Nils Lofgren, Pink Floyd, Øystein Sevåg.

Apr 5, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 13
Usually I'll start off with some Pink Floyd. Generally, I really LOVE the sound of Speak to Me/Breathe - especially how it starts with all the random sounds from the album and then the lady screams and the song starts and just sounds so...mellow and beautiful
biggrin.gif

Then I'll play something that's been recorded well - something like Eric Clapton's Unplugged album. And I will play either a classical or opera song. Lately I've been using Pavarotti's rendition of Nessun Dorma. Finally, I finish it off with some really hard-pounding electronic. For this I'll use a Prodigy song; recently I've started using Punkture by Motor.

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 13
Santana's Europa always seems to sound GORGEOUS on better headphones for me.

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 13
I usually start off with:

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1
Freakpower - The Whip
The Charlatans - Impossible
Thom Yorke - Harrowdown Hill
Radiohead - The National Anthem
Massive Attack - Angel

All of these songs have specific features that bring out the briliance in a good set of headphones.

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 13
The slow movement of Bach's double violin concerto by Grumiaux. This reveals absolutely everything about phones at once. Or maybe I just know it so well!

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 13
Curve - Doppleganger or Cuckoo - deadfully congested wall of sound that usually sounds awful oh headphones unless the volume is cranked right up. It shouldn't have to be.

Coldplay's Politik. The initial wall of drums in the beginning can be overpowering unless the volume is turned down. It shouldn't have to be.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #12 of 13
Anything by Massive Attack, Depeche Mode (especially remixes), Alison Krauss, remastered Van Halen

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 13
Lately, Depeche Mode's "Violator" on SACD. Then I'll grab either a classical disc or some jazz before spinning Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" on vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back