What are the cans that exceeded your expectations ?
Jun 3, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #46 of 201
HD480II = the best; but problem is they were my only cans for a long time so there were no "expectations", they merely were what I used. It's only afterwards I realised how good they were (and all newcomers didn't sound as good).

CX300 and PX100 = definitely better sound than I expected for both...much better

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #47 of 201
K701 and DT880.

I pretty much had no expectations for the K701, as I got it largely as an impulse purchase because of all the FOTM posts. Definitely a unique headphone, I can't say it's my favorite, or that I even like it (still trying to decide if the sonic signature is for me), but it's always an intriguing listen.

I can't say I completely like my DT880 either, but its level of detail has impressed me since day one.

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #48 of 201
The Senn HD600s really blew me away and still do. I could believe a 10 year old design could sound so good.

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #49 of 201
KSC-75s and K701s: once again, despite reading all about them on the forums

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #51 of 201
AKG K1000 are one of the few cans that completely exceeded any expectation I had for them. They really are top-of-the-line in the correct system of unlimited pecuniary value.

Unfortunately, it's completely unrealistic for me to listen to them in my current environment...I am limited to closed/IEM.

Most underwhelming: probably the HE60, for the brief time I listened to it.

-Matt

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #52 of 201
The one that surprised me the most was the Sony MDR SA-5000. Though they are very different from my other preferred headphones, I really like them for the things they do very well that the others can't.

I have only had the K1000s for a day now and find they can vary greatly based upon the amp that is used. I tried all of the amps I could find and ended up shoving my 125 pound monoblocks together and I am listening to them this way. Certainly better than I expected in this manner but a bit dissapointing with some other amps. I guess I need to get one of these Pass Labs Class A amps and give that a go as my main speaker amps are a bit overkill and a real back ache.
icon10.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #53 of 201
E4's.

I was actually pretty reluctant to get IEMs when my stockbuds broke and I needed something portable. Each IEM I looked at had its cons, not to mention the fact that I'd never used IEMs before. The E4's rolled off highs were a pretty bad hit...but the pros (comfort, microphonics control, balance) made me pick it over everything else I was considering, like the Super.fi 5 Pros and the ER4P's. When I got them and tried them...wow. They sounded much better than I expected: first, they're very comfortable, and everything is so detailed and clear. Best headphone purchase ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #54 of 201
AKG K340 and K1000. Mainly the K340 though (for the price)
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #55 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
The Senn HD600s really blew me away and still do. I could believe a 10 year old design could sound so good.

Same here, the senn HD600's remain the King for me too.

But now I am also smitten by the senn HD595/ 120 ohm ..... which sound like the best combination of senn and grado on my Singlepower tube amps.

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #56 of 201
KSC75. When I first got them, my logic was somewhat like, "These are so highly recommended, that they can't possibly be that good."

They are.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #57 of 201
every can i still own has far exceeded my expectations at the time. perhaps it's nostalgia, but i still own every can that's ever given me an "eargasm" except for the MS-1, which i sold to do an up-grado.

meaning, I've been amazed by...

headphile-recabled DT770 - "Darth Beyers." the first can to prove that recabling DOES make a difference.

headphile-recabled HP2 - "Darth Grados." didn't think two cans would sound so different using the same HP1000 drivers. but these were another order higher than my SR200s with HP1000 drivers by far.

moon audio-recabled KSC-35. i wasn't really wowed by the stock clips, after all at the time i had the MS-1. i was amazed it did as good as it did tho. but these recabled ones? they outperform cans triple their price - even after factoring in the cost of the recable, which itself is triple the price of the cans, lol!

STAX Lambda Pros and AKG K81DJ. My two Stock cans. they both bring the bass but interestingly keep it reined in. They both have their limitations, but I wouldn't pick any other portable sealed can or electrostatic can over these (save for the orpheus, hehe!)

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #58 of 201
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
SR60 for sure. Bought it just as a portable for when I was away from the DT880, but ended up listening to it more.

ok, I'm late to the party, but big and total agreement here. The SR60's absolutely blew me away when I first heard them, and do so to this day. Admittedly, these days it's as much a "what an outrageous bang for the buck" kind of reaction, but then, on paying attention, the wholesomeness and goodness of the litttlest Grado shines through - these are great headphones that are, imho, unmatched when unamped from a decent <fill in a portable source - mine are iRiver iHP-120 or Panasonic SL-CT800> here.

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #59 of 201
A recent one for me is the AKG K270S, as I was expecting them to be pretty bad, based on what few reports on them I had seen, but they are actually quite good. I consider them the closed equivalent to the DT531 groovalizers, as the K270S has the same sort of fun but coherent and non-fatiguing sound. The bottom line is that I enjoy the heck out of listening to them, despite the fact that they're hardly reference material as far as extension, detail, and imaging goes. Even unamped, they don't sound anywhere near as bad as I was led to believe they do. Plus it's just cool slipping on cans with dual drivers per side
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back