What are the best "WeebPhones"?
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #16 of 91
In all honesty, I've been leaning towards the 800S and X5000 along with cheap *short term* amplification like the a30 + d30 with a budget of around 2000$. The other option I have is buying a more mid tier phone like the 1/2000x along with a fancy new monitor, but I think upgrading my audio setup is more important to me.

I'd much rather just get one headphone first and get a decent amp or DAC-HPamp that will drive that and practicaly anything else you'd try later on. In this case if you can get the HD800 cheap then get that and something like the AudioGD NFB-11. If it turns out you don't like the HD800 (which if you get a proper but affordable DAC-HPamp, you'd know that's pretty much what it sounds like, ie, amplification isn't the issue) then sell it and get another headphone.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #17 of 91
I think you want something fast and not incisive in the treble as the treble can sound hot. But, also you want something with good treble energy as well since it's a poppy genre.

I think planars could be the answer. Something like the Sundara or the LCD2C(vocals can sound a bit weired with certain tracks). At a greater pricepoint Focal Clear which seems to do will with larger genre of music without sounding a bit incisive like HD800(S) and have ample bass. I think HD650/HD6XX can come off a bit dark for the genre, and a bit slower as well. It's well suited for something like jazz IMO.

I haven't heard the Massdrop Focal Elex(It maybe closest to Focal Clear), perhaps could suit the sound or even Elear(although I haven't heard myself).

I'd also look into iems as well as the the better sounding stuff the treble doesn't sound as strong as a full sized headphones can get.

I really don't know how senstitive to what treble region for you. Some people are more sensitive to lower, others upper mids treble. If you arn't all that sensitive to lower treble and don't need much bass, HD800(S) should work for you. I'm a bit sensitive to lower treble so HD800(S) is a big nono for me, especially for such genre.

Also, there is the HE500 as well. I can't comment on that one. HE560 is a bit hotter on the lower treble compared to Sundara.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #18 of 91
I think you want something fast and not incisive in the treble as the treble can sound hot. But, also you want something with good treble energy as well since it's a poppy genre.

I think planars could be the answer. Something like the Sundara or the LCD2C(vocals can sound a bit weired with certain tracks). At a greater pricepoint Focal Clear which seems to do will with larger genre of music without sounding a bit incisive like HD800(S) and have ample bass. I think HD650/HD6XX can come off a bit dark for the genre, and a bit slower as well. It's well suited for something like jazz IMO.

I haven't heard the Massdrop Focal Elex(It maybe closest to Focal Clear), perhaps could suit the sound or even Elear(although I haven't heard myself).

I'd also look into iems as well as the the better sounding stuff the treble doesn't sound as strong as a full sized headphones can get.

I really don't know how senstitive to what treble region for you. Some people are more sensitive to lower, others upper mids treble. If you arn't all that sensitive to lower treble and don't need much bass, HD800(S) should work for you. I'm a bit sensitive to lower treble so HD800(S) is a big nono for me, especially for such genre.
My budget would be around 2000$ so the clear would be something I could get. I care more about getting the best for my needs over getting better value / price vs performance. The problem with me is that midrange is very important in a lot of my songs as well, with bass being there in some kpop songs but especially in vocaloid, so I get stuck needing a more well rounded headphone but female vocals are certainly a key selling point to me as over 90% of my main playlist consists of a female singer rather than a male.

I've really heard a lot of great things about both audio technica and stax for this too. Stax just doesn't appeal to me because electrostatic headphones nor the style of it is very appealing to me, but I've been really interested in ATH

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #20 of 91
If that's the case, I'd look into Focal Clear
I edited the reply a bit more with

"The problem with me is that midrange is very important in a lot of my songs as well, with bass being there in some kpop songs but especially in vocaloid, so I get stuck needing a more well rounded headphone but female vocals are certainly a key selling point to me as over 90% of my main playlist consists of a female singer rather than a male.

I've really heard a lot of great things about both audio technica and stax for this too. Stax just doesn't appeal to me because electrostatic headphones nor the style of it is very appealing to me, but I've been really interested in ATH"

If there is anything else you would like to add to it c:

Looking at freq response the elex seems very similar to the clear, just seems impossible to get at this point.

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #21 of 91
I actually have no experience with ATH besides M40 which as quite underwhelming, and the ESW-9. I don't like most closed backs. I did like the ESW-9 when I was a newbie so this is based on recollection and my opinion on it maybe different now.

Mar 30, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #22 of 91
I'm a kpop fan myself along with jpop and anime music i do most of my listening nowdays with my lcd 2 2016 which is perfect it's smooth sounding great for long listening sessions, forgiving & planar bass. Though female vocals do a habit for feeling a bit distance, but it's not something i really notice nor does it really annoy me unless i switch my headphones for something else.

I might advise against the hd 800 not sure about the hd800s but the hd 800 would be unforgiven to kpop and jpop it would be far to revealing of the badly recorded stuff one such song is 9muse dolls brought it from itune oh boy does it sound badly mixed even with my lcd 2 i feel like i'm being tested, i imagine the hd 800 would be a dagger in your ears The hd 800 is also lean in the bass area which is a bother to some people.

I have owned stax 2170 which i have listen to kpop and gamed with them, they are a little less smooth than the hd650 in the treble area. they do not lack in midbass but in the sub bass which did bother me time to time. The 2170 is also lean sounding which bothered me quite a bit for gaming the imaging was great however it felt a bit weird how things were strongly hard panned left and right, also during a game called killing floor 2 where i normally play on a custom server people would shoot and fire rockets, everywhere the stax kind off was overwhelmed and sounded too diffused, the same can be said about dynamic headphones. My lcd 2 managed to keep up and give me a sense of direction of where everyone was while at the same time shooting and firing rockets, even though the lcd 2 has a funky imaging ability.

I would look towards planar headphones if i were you. One headphones comes into mind would be the Edition XV2 it's very amp friendly so you don't need a top tier amp, has a big soundstage with good imaging for gaming.

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #23 of 91
I might advise against the hd 800 not sure about the hd800s but the hd 800 would be unforgiven to kpop and jpop it would be far to revealing of the badly recorded stuff one such song is 9muse dolls brought it from itune oh boy does it sound badly mixed even with my lcd 2 i feel like i'm being tested, i imagine the hd 800 would be a dagger in your ears The hd 800 is also lean in the bass area which is a bother to some people.

That reminds me. On my HD600 with stock pads and not EQ-ing the 3500hz peak, the scratching distortion in AoA's Luv Me, which doesn't sound intentional other than that it's on every copy - the CD, Spotify, YouTube rehearsal vid with the audio dubbed over (the real frustrating part is that it happens on Hyejeong's line) can be overbearing.

Even the intentional analogue scratching (like when the needle starts on the vinyl or when you're hunting for a radio station) at the start of T-Ara and Davichi's "We Were In Love" can get annoyingly grinding unless you're at a really low volume level.

The problem though is that if anyone specifically looks for treble the HD650 (or an EQ-d HD600) will likely be perceived as not having any.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #24 of 91
I'm a kpop fan myself along with jpop and anime music i do most of my listening nowdays with my lcd 2 2016 which is perfect it's smooth sounding great for long listening sessions, forgiving & planar bass. Though female vocals do a habit for feeling a bit distance, but it's not something i really notice nor does it really annoy me unless i switch my headphones for something else.

I have owned stax 2170 which i have listen to kpop and gamed with them, they are a little less smooth than the hd650 in the treble area. they do not lack in midbass but in the sub bass which did bother me time to time. The 2170 is also lean sounding which bothered me quite a bit for gaming the imaging was great however it felt a bit weird how things were strongly hard panned left and right, also during a game called killing floor 2 where i normally play on a custom server people would shoot and fire rockets, everywhere the stax kind off was overwhelmed and sounded too diffused, the same can be said about dynamic headphones. My lcd 2 managed to keep up and give me a sense of direction of where everyone was while at the same time shooting and firing rockets, even though the lcd 2 has a funky imaging ability.

I would look towards planar headphones if i were you. One headphones comes into mind would be the Edition XV2 it's very amp friendly so you don't need a top tier amp, has a big soundstage with good imaging for gaming.

A lot of what I listen to is SMTOWN (red velvet!) and apparently their mixing is much better, maybe give some of their stuff a listen? :)

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #25 of 91
That reminds me. On my HD600 with stock pads and not EQ-ing the 3500hz peak, the scratching distortion in AoA's Luv Me, which doesn't sound intentional other than that it's on every copy - the CD, Spotify, YouTube rehearsal vid with the audio dubbed over (the real frustrating part is that it happens on Hyejeong's line) can be overbearing.

Even the intentional analogue scratching (like when the needle starts on the vinyl or when you're hunting for a radio station) at the start of T-Ara and Davichi's "We Were In Love" can get annoyingly grinding unless you're at a really low volume level.

The problem though is that if anyone specifically looks for treble the HD650 (or an EQ-d HD600) will likely be perceived as not having any.
A lot of what I listen to is SMTOWN (red velvet!) and apparently their mixing is much better, maybe give some of their stuff a listen? :)

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #26 of 91

Also, there is the HE500 as well. I can't comment on that one. HE560 is a bit hotter on the lower treble compared to Sundara.
also sir, I love you for recommending me the clear and other focal stuff, most people just say "go get hd800's" but the clear's look much better for what I need o_o

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #28 of 91
LCD-2, good all-rounder, covers up a lot of the poor mastering in J/K-pop and comes in bamboo. What more could you want
I think I'm really leaning towards the Focal Clears now, after looking them up I really love a lot of things about them, including how they are easy to drive, the looks, all the cables and the bag it comes with, and so on. Sound seems amazing too, covers a lot of ranges

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #29 of 91
Maybe try the Z1R? Would be funny it the Z1R would not work on Japanse music.

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #30 of 91
I think I'm really leaning towards the Focal Clears now, after looking them up I really love a lot of things about them, including how they are easy to drive, the looks, all the cables and the bag it comes with, and so on. Sound seems amazing too, covers a lot of ranges
That's a good choice too, Focal is one of the remaining few brands I have yet to try but from what I've read they're solid. Only thing to be wary of is their revealing nature, your poorly mastered weeb tracks may sound harsh (although I personally prefer detailed crap to veiled fidelity)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back