What are the best speakers in the world?
Jul 7, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #17 of 126
I've heard the MBLs a number of times in all sorts of conditions and I never understood the facination with them. But that just proves how we all like different things.

Dynaudios can really really shine but need proper amplification for it.

The most disappointing, confusing, and obnoxious thing about listening to speakers of this caliber (or any for that matter) is that so few outlets actually know how to set them up properly.
I try to stop by High End stores every time I visit a new city and most of the time I just want to slap the guys running the place. The setups are amateur at best.
And its not like it takes a rocket scientist......................
Just sayin.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #18 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no "best" speakers, and you definitely can't judge by price.

This is exactly right. Speakers are totally subjective, find a pair that you like and enjoy!
580smile.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #19 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there was some million dollar setup designed by engineers complete with a concrete tunnel system for bass! I mean 5' wide and 6' deep ****ing bass tunnels lol.

I think I remember that one. The bass chamber which held the driver was capped by a slab of granite or concrete. It weighed a ton or two, but cracked when they cranked the volume!

Laz

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #20 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once, at Audio Federation, I heard a fully calibrated Marten Coltrane supreme. At $250,000 a pair, it's perhaps the most expensive in the world.

Now THOSE guys are a trip. I love reading their blog from time to time.
Cant say that I agree with everything they say. Actually, some of it is just plain wrong. Sometimes think they are on something.
-->Radiohead - Amnesiac as their ultimate reference CD???? PUHLEEZE!
blink.gif

But their's is the definitive place to find hirez pictures of any of the HiFi shows over the last few years.
And if you want opinion on the most expensive gear in the world, that's where to find it.

Oh, and the most expensive speakers were a set from Wisdom Audio. $600,000. But as far as I can remember, they only sold 2. Go figure.

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #21 of 126
Jul 7, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #22 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now THOSE guys are a trip. I love reading their blog from time to time.
Cant say that I agree with everything they say. Actually, some of it is just plain wrong. Sometimes think they are on something.
-->Radiohead - Amnesiac as their ultimate reference CD???? PUHLEEZE!
blink.gif

They're actually right up the hill from me, so it's a fun trip every once and awhile. In my opinion, they're both bat**** crazy, but in a very fun way. We talk about the last 5% here often, they're concerned mostly with the last .01%. They're obsessive over it, in fact.

I've not heard anything higher up than the Coltrane's on that list, but I'm not sure I would want to. Those expensive setups have such unnecessary fanfare more often than not. The nicest thing about using Amnesiac as a reference CD is not having to listen to organ music every time the setup tops 100k. I can't help but wonder who the real market is for those things.

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #26 of 126
There sure might be better speakers out there, but I would take a Final 1000 any day.

final10002highzs4.jpg

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #27 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are so many speakers and speaker companies out there,it's damn confuisng.
what are the best speakers currently available?i ofcourse will not be able to afford them...but it's nice to dream.
rs1smile.gif

Firstly in which room, then with what amp, then what source, then which room treatments ..... etc. etc. etc .................... etc. etc. ...

Jul 7, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #30 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best speakers in the world are the ones you like the best until you've heard something that you like better. Then even when you think you've heard them all and have settled on the best of the best, that same company will come out with something better.

I completely agree. Well said.

There are simply too many factors that go into sound reproduction apart from speakers that make it near-impossible to pick out the best pair of speakers in the world. Wayne has already highlighted quite a few of those. Hence, even from the speakers I've personally listened to, I cannot say that the most expensive of them all was the best sounding. I won't start naming them all out, but lets just say the Alexandria X-2 and Grande Utopia Be are on that list of "most expensive speakers I have listened to".

If I adhere to Wayne's 'rule' that "the best speakers in the world are the ones you like the best until you've heard something that you like better", then the best speakers in the world for me are the Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario. It is not even close to being one of those exotic multi-hundred-thousand dollar two-tower giants, yet in the right room and paired with the right gear, they sing like none other speaker I've heard. I don't doubt that the 101E sound better, but when I heard it, it didn't touch me like the Amati did.

Comparing speakers has always been something that has challenged me. It is so difficult to get the same speakers in the same room running from common front-end components and it doesn't help that I don't have an exceptionally good sonic memory of things. It is difficult coming out of an audition to remember just what I heard and not what I thought I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back