What are the best S/PDIF cables?
Dec 29, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #31 of 40
you sure its not an optical SPDIF? If so, check this out, i did it and it works great
smily_headphones1.gif
you can try sticking a toothpick in and seeing if it turns a red diode inside on.. theres would be a little switch at the end if its the same as mine.

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if i can seek some help here, I have a laptop that uses one of the heaphone out, a 3.5mmsocket as the spdif out. I tried using a coax cable with a adaptor to a mono3.5mm plug to my LITE-AH DAC it dun work. tried a normal 3.5-3.5mm cable with a 3.5mm-to-RCA jack adaptor, it don't work again.

Can I know if this is correct and if there is any settings to take note of? I am using a HP tx1000 series laptop, running on vista, i change to the digital out setting but my headamp doesn't give any output at all.

Did i use the wrong cable? or was my connection/settings wrong?

Your laptop most probably have a combined 3.5mm headphone out and optical S/PDIF. Just like other laptops out there, like my MacBook Pro.
Hence you need a suitable optical cable, instead of the coax one you use now.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #33 of 40
There's a very interesting test of HDMI and 75 ohm video cables at PC World - The Cable Game. It was done a couple of years ago. Not the cable type you're looking for, but given that the HDMI cable is doing something similar, you might find it useful to read over.

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your laptop most probably have a combined 3.5mm headphone out and optical S/PDIF. Just like other laptops out there, like my MacBook Pro.

Sure i will try getting a 3.5mm plug to optical DAC cable.
Thanks.

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.

Reposting this link for relevance. It works perfectly on my Macbook Pro
smily_headphones1.gif
Free too, since I used the cable that I think came with my PS2.. or something.

edit: my TOSlink cable mod was a bit different, but that site basically tells you what needs to be done, switch wise.

Jan 9, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks.

WireWorld SuperNova and some older Audio-Technica ArtLink versions match the requirement.

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #37 of 40
^
14 years. Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #39 of 40
A digital cable does carry just ones and zeros,
an Spdif cable also carries a clock signal...

BTW I have seen BNC clock cables. Are these identical to coaxial or something differs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back