What are the best S/PDIF cables?
Dec 27, 2007 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

MilesCirno

New Head-Fier
So I need some good S/PDIF cables.
I keep getting told to buy Monster cables, but I want a true audiophile's opinion of which cables I should buy.
I want high quality audio.
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 40
Read through his ^ previous posts and make up your own mind about him...

There are differences in digital cables as has been explained to him by others far more knowledgeable.

He's right about BJC though, great value:

Digital Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 40
OP, just ignore him, as I said, make up your own mind about who's a troll and who's helpful.

There is an audible difference between those 2 cables but you need thousands of dollars of equipment and good ears to hear it. Even then the difference is small.

The vandenhul is much nicer, better made and will be more durable too, but there is nothing wrong with the BJC at all.

Go for the BJC unless moneys not an issue.

If your using the PC as a source, go optical or else there will be noise in the signal, (minimal again and might not be audible to you in your system) otherwise, coaxial is technically better.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 40
Optical might have more jitter and coax may cause ground loop problems because of electrical connection.

You could try both using cheap cables (75 ohm video cable is fine for coax) to see if there is any difference.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Optical might have more jitter and coax may cause ground loop problems because of electrical connection.

You could try both using cheap cables (75 ohm video cable is fine for coax) to see if there is any difference.

That;s the best plan, and if you go from BJC you can return the one you like least. Not sure if that's really ethical though...

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, just ignore him, as I said, make up your own mind about who's a troll and who's helpful.

There is an audible difference between those 2 cables but you need thousands of dollars of equipment and good ears to hear it. Even then the difference is small.

The vandenhul is much nicer, better made and will be more durable too, but there is nothing wrong with the BJC at all.

Go for the BJC unless moneys not an issue.

If your using the PC as a source, go optical or else there will be noise in the signal, (minimal again and might not be audible to you in your system) otherwise, coaxial is technically better.

Tell me how there is a difference, please, because I do not understand how one cable could sound any different at all from the other if they are both transmitting the same data correctly.

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 40
Different cables cause different amounts of jitter, which is the error in timing of the bits in the cable. The DAC uses the timing to drive it's conversion.

Whether the amount of jitter caused by the cable is audible in the first place is of course arguable. And proper DAC should reject incoming jitter in the first place.

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me how there is a difference, please,

No, that would be like trying to teach my dog to drive. It would waste my time and upset my dog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not understand

That's your problem, you've had plenty of opportunity to learn here from smarter people than me, don't come to me for help!
biggrin.gif

This is no longer the place for people to try and help you understand, you've made yourself unwelcome, IMO. If you don't know why, I can't help you there either.

There's more to cables than first meets the eye. (ear)

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #15 of 40
Ah, yes. There is the marketing and the mark-up. If there is such a night-and-day difference, then it should be easy to explain.

How does a cable change the way 10101010101 sounds? Does the $100 cable add more zeros? Does the $20 cable take away ones?

Because I don't see how anything outside altering the bit stream is going to make digital cables affect the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back