What are the best headphones (for me) for under $140?
Jul 24, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #31 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
Well how can I tell what soundcard, if any, my computer has? I believe it's the stock, integrated one that came in my Dell Dimension 8400. Also, what is the best adaptor/amp/card (whatever) that I can get for under $30 that will improve the sound out of my PC/home theatre receiver?

Also, what makes the RS1 better than the SR-80/60; in terms of sound quality?

If you open up one of the side panels on your computer, you'll probably get a good view of the motherboard. It should have a set of PCI slots on it, which can be used for different things, like modems, graphics cards (although most are now AGP slot based), soundcards, USB hosts, all kinds of stuff. Try to determine where your audio is being connected to. If what audio cable/headphone cord you're using looks like it being led out of your motherboard(which it should if you're using SoundMax), then you're definitely NOT using a soundcard.

The Chaintech AV710 is the best under $30 IMO if you go over to newegg.com and look for it there. To the best of my knowledge, it only spits out line-level outputs, meaning you'll also need an amp, home theater reciever, or amplified PC speakers with a headphone jack to make best use of the card.

The RS1? Don't you mean the MS1? It's tuned better than the SR60 and SR80. It also has higher quality copper in the voice coils of each driver.
A search of MS1/SR60 comparisons would assist you further.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jul 24, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #32 of 33
So if I upgrade to a decent soundcard, my computer will dish out enough power to push the RS1? What about those USB adaptors/soundcards that the guy suggested earlier in this thread? Are those any good?

I know that all of my PCI slots are still open and not being used. I know that my sound is "integrated."

Jul 24, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
So if I upgrade to a decent soundcard, my computer will dish out enough power to push the RS1? What about those USB adaptors/soundcards that the guy suggested earlier in this thread? Are those any good?

I know that all of my PCI slots are still open and not being used. I know that my sound is "integrated."

Wait a second. The RS1's are $700 headphones(I'm suggesting the MS1-a VERY different set of headphones). You won't have a budget for them, not with $140.
The AV710 soundcard probably won't have enough power to push any headphones right out of the box, as it does not ouput a strong enough signal. If you hook its outputs up to a reciever or an amplifier that can be used with a pair of headphones, then it will be fine. Some soundcards do have a built in amplifier, but I can't really suggest any at this point.
I only have experience with SoundMax integrated audio-that's what you're using if you don't have anything out of your PCI slots-, the Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 soundcard, and the Chaintech AV710 soundcard, so I can't give my take on the other cards suggested, unfortunately.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back