What are the best headphones (for me) for under $140?
Jul 23, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
It can probably supply enough power but its quality is undoubtedly suspect. I'd spring for either the Turtle Beach USB adapter ($25) or M-Audio Transit ($75).

So the Turtle Beach USB adaptor will make a significant improvement in the sound my computer outputs?

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
So the Turtle Beach USB adaptor will make a significant improvement in the sound my computer outputs?

I've not heard the TB myself but I have the M-Audio Transit and the audio sounds clearer than from my Dell laptop.

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #19 of 33
I'd recommend the Grado SR-60 as well. With your budget of $140, you could buy 2 pairs because they're that good.
icon10.gif

I use a similar setup as you.

Soundcard -to- Stereo reciever -to- Grado SR-125

Coming from Sony MDR-V6 to Sennheiser HD580 to these ... these are a revelation.

I listen to hip hop / rock mainly and these are the most fun I've had listening to music.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with them except for the comfort. The bowl pads are quite uncomfortable after 45-60 minutes of listening but the modded Senn HD414 pads ( $7 a pair ) are perfect. I can listen to them for hours straight, and trust me I have.

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #20 of 33
dont the sr60 have the comfy pads and not the bowls? or were you talking about the sr125?

do you think that the 414 pads are still a good buy on the sr60? or no?

Definately get the MS-1 over the sr60, the MS1 are everything the sr60 is except a little bit better but for about 20$ more...

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #21 of 33
Sorry I got mixed up and was talking about the 125's
redface.gif

I've never used the comfy pads so I can't really compare the 414 pads to them.

I can say that the 414 pads are quite comfortable and there is just something funky about black/yellow.

I wonder how many headphone geeks at Georgia Tech use the Grado/Senn pad combo?
icon10.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysan89
Definately get the MS-1 over the sr60, the MS1 are everything the sr60 is except a little bit better but for about 20$ more...

Well, if the MS1 is slightly better than the SR60, how does the MS1 compare to the SR80?

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Well, if the MS1 is slightly better than the SR60, how does the MS1 compare to the SR80?

Actually, the MS1's are commonly refered to as a sort of mix between SR125's and SR225's (see specs and compare- SR225 frequency response claim of 22hz-20khz but uses an ABS grille), and are probably a better value than SR80's, since they only cost about $5 more. But it's what that extra $5 gets you that is supposedly so great (I have no experience on the matter, some others do though) as opposed to settling for the slightly cheaper model.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 23, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
What kind of sound card do you have? For example, the old Soundblast Live! series put out HUGE power.

Also, I think a lot of people go crazy over impedances. When I got my HD280's people said "OMG, 64ohm is too much for computer you NEED amp!"...

Boy were they ever wrong. Out of my M-Audio Transit (external USB), they are more than loud enough at the lowest notch in Windows volume control.

I can confirm this statement. I own a HD 555 and drive it by an old Sound Blaster Live 5.1 and I have the volume control almost set to zero when listening at "healthy" levels. It seems that almost anything could be driven by these soundcards. But I'll soon upgrade it with a Sound Blaster X-fi, when it becomes available.

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #25 of 33
So if most agree that the MS1 is better than the RS-80, I guess that is what I should get. What is the best (also cheapest) online retailer for the MS1?

Also, would one of those USB soundcard adaptors really help the sound quality my computer dishes out? My current soundcard is "SoundMax integrated digital audio."

Jul 23, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Also, would one of those USB soundcard adaptors really help the sound quality my computer dishes out? My current soundcard is "SoundMax integrated digital audio."

Although I haven't heard the SoundMax, I think (based on what I've read here) you'd be hard-pressed to find an integrated soundcard that can compete with external devices like the Transit. [shameless plug]Incidentally, I have a like-new Transit in the Source For Sale Forum
biggrin.gif
[/shameless plug]

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion
Sorry I got mixed up and was talking about the 125's
redface.gif

I've never used the comfy pads so I can't really compare the 414 pads to them.

I can say that the 414 pads are quite comfortable and there is just something funky about black/yellow.

I wonder how many headphone geeks at Georgia Tech use the Grado/Senn pad combo?
icon10.gif

None that I know of.

The majority of students at GaTech that into into consumer electronics are mostly computer geeks, not audio geeks. They're busy modding their computers or overclocking them and what not. Most of them don't really pay attention to audio that much. Aside from the occasionaly 5.1 Klipsch or Logitech THX speaker system, I don't find much in the way of headphones. Some HD497, some Grado SR60 stock. There is a pair of ATH-500 or 900 on campus that belongs to a close friend of mine. Another of my close friends has the HD595. Other than that, I think I will claim the title of having the most expensive headphones when my HD600 arrive.

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

So if most agree that the MS1 is better than the RS-80, I guess that is what I should get. What is the best (also cheapest) online retailer for the MS1?

The best online retailer for the MS1 is probably just Alessandro themselves, here.
Also, I'm not too sure you're actually running a soundcard at present- SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio is what is provided by Windows to be used via motherboards(which is just about the worst way to get audio out of your computer). I currently use a Chaintech AV710, but depending on your needs, it may not be the right card for you. If you have plans for a headphone amp, or if you have a reciever that has an optical input, then you might want to check one out. They go for about $25 and are awesome, IMO.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #29 of 33
Well how can I tell what soundcard, if any, my computer has? I believe it's the stock, integrated one that came in my Dell Dimension 8400. Also, what is the best adaptor/amp/card (whatever) that I can get for under $30 that will improve the sound out of my PC/home theatre receiver?

Also, what makes the RS1 better than the SR-80/60; in terms of sound quality?

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

These headphones will be used to listen to music (CDs and concert DVDs). I'm looking to spend up to $140 on the best I can buy. The music I listen to is primarily classic rock and jazz/blues, with tidbits of others. I'm looking for something comfortable, and it does NOT need to be noise-cancelling.
Also, I do not have a headphone amp, and have no plans to get one. I will just be plugging these headphones into my PC and home theatre receiver.

The best pair of headphones I own are some Koss PortaPros. Will something in my budget sound leaps and bounds better than my PortaPros?

Which headphones do you guys recommend? Any brand/model is fine with me. I can purchase from an online retailer or even Ebay if need be. I've done some research and seen that Grado and Sennheiser brands are very popular. Which of these is the better maker of headphones for under $140. How do the Sony MDR-V6s compare to Grado SR-60s?

Is the difference between the SR-80s and SR-60s worth the $25? Is it worth $50 from the SR-80s to the SR-125s? What other models compare to these for around the same pricerange?

Etymotic 6i is the best for under $200. Can be found for $80 total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back