What are the best headphones for around $300-600
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

KING DRANZER

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to get new set of headphones but there are many options to choose from in that budget range. I will be using these headphones for general purpose like watching YouTube and movies. But I also want them to give me best performance with most clear and detailed audio output when listening to music without any sacrifice.

There is SONY MDR-7520 which is praised by many on this forum and highly rated. It is very clear and is best all-rounder. But I have heard that it is very unforgiving when the quality of the track is not good. I am bit worried if it will ruin the listening experience of YouTube and old videos.

I have gone through some other options in budget but am unable to decide. There are other options like Audio Technica ATH-SR9 and Sennheiser HD700. Which is best suited for me. Which of these or any other headphone can give mes best experience with most clear and detailed audio output.

If you guys have any other recommendations of headphones which will be better suited for me please list them.

Jun 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 53
Closed or open ? What amp will you be using ? What dac ?

Jun 10, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 53
ATH-M70X seems to be far behind in sound quality compared to MDR 7520 according to reviews and comparisons I read from this and other sites. I need something better than MDR 7520 which will give me more clear vocals and clear differentiation between instruments played.

Jun 10, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 53
ATH-M70X seems to be far behind in sound quality compared to MDR 7520 according to reviews and comparisons I read from this and other sites. I need something better than MDR 7520 which will give me more clear vocals and clear differentiation between instruments played.
I also recently purchased the Grado PS500e for $595. They sound great for me,but you may or may not like them. I still think the M70x are a great headphone,very balanced sound and detailed.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 53
Have ASUS STRIX RAID PRO in my desktop. Will also be pairing it with my Laptop and Smartphone.

Considering this, something easy to drive is a must. I'd rule out any high impedance headphone and probably any planar in this price range. Not sure what exactly to rule in though, the Beyerdynamic T5p is too pricey.

If you can go used, look for the MrSpeakers Ether & Ether C, they have been dropping into the ~$600 range, and are wonderful.

Interesting. Those are fairly easy to drive if I remember correctly, and the Ether-C should outclass just about every closed back headphone mentioned here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back