What are the best beyerdyanmics in the mid range?
Jan 28, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #16 of 33
I'm kind of swaying towards some 990's but I keep reading the comments "recessed mids" in Beyer threads!

I have the Senn HD595 at the moment. Their midrange is their best aspect (the treble is far too soft and bass is wooly). Are the 990s going to disappoint me?

If I like prominent (or at least un-recessed mids) which model/make should I go for? I'm also trying to escape the Sennheiser veil. I want to HEAR the details!

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of swaying towards some 990's but I keep reading the comments "recessed mids" in Beyer threads!

I have the Senn HD595 at the moment. Their midrange is their best aspect (the treble is far too soft and bass is wooly). Are the 990s going to disappoint me?

If I like prominent (or at least un-recessed mids) which model/make should I go for? I'm also trying to escape the Sennheiser veil. I want to HEAR the details!

If you want to hear prominent mids and details, go AKG (higher models).
They are also the opposite of soft and wooly.

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to hear prominent mids and details, go AKG (higher models).
They are also the opposite of soft and wooly.

Do you mean The 601, 701s?

Are they more prominent than the Beyer 990s?

and has anyone done a comparison between the two that you know of?

I'm actually having difficulty in getting an idea of how AKG's and Beyers sound. There's too much contraversy over them. I've only ever heard Senns and Grado and I'm guessing they're opposite ends of the spectrum (ie Senn is coma inducing and Grado is panic attack.)

Where would the AKG 601/701 and Beyer 990 fit into that spectrum?

Sorry for all the questions!

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Do you mean The 601, 701s?

Are they more prominent than the Beyer 990s?

and has anyone done a comparison between the two that you know of?

I'm actually having difficulty in getting an idea of how AKG's and Beyers sound. There's too much contraversy over them. I've only ever heard Senns and Grado and I'm guessing they're opposite ends of the spectrum (ie Senn is coma inducing and Grado is panic attack.)

Where would the AKG 601/701 and Beyer 990 fit into that spectrum?

Sorry for all the questions!

I mean the K601 and K701, but also the out of production K501 and K-400.

The DT990 have a lot of bass and spikey highs (sibilance!). Mids can sound recessed because of that.
The AKG's are more mids centered, emphasis on mids reproduction instead of highs and/or bass. For some they don't have enough bass though.
DT990 is more beefy, the AKG's more airy and lightweight.

I never heard a Grado.
To my ears AKG are more upfront and liveley than the higher Senns.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #20 of 33
People may look down on these, but the other less popular Beyers do mids better, IMO. Check out the DT860. It's not peaky like the DTx80 bretheren.

You must use these with a 120-ohm adapter.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #21 of 33
Best mid's? --> GRADO's

imo.

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #22 of 33
Warm and lush it isn't, but the DT48 has some of the most perfect mids I've heard. Tonally accurate, fast and detailed, you won't get much better at any price.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 33
How do you like the bass and treble?...
Quote:

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best mid's? --> GRADO's

imo.

x2. Grados are geared at being musical cans, and "most of the music" happens in the mids. (appologies to drummers and bassists)
edit: woops

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best mid's? --> GRADO's

imo.

I tried the Senn HD595's against the SR80's and found that the Senn mids were tonally extremely natural (but veiled!!). The Grado's sounded tonally less natural but clearer (sharper).

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like the bass and treble?...

I don't need oddles of either but I like quality (ie tight lean bass over heavy sloppy. Treble needs to be clear, i dont like 'soft sounding' because of this I have shunned the Sennheiser signature).

I think recessed mids may give me a problem as I tend to find that this characteristics drains the life from the music - the midrange is where most of the music lies (unless its drum n bass!).

I've never heard a Beyer but I heard a Senn HD600 and to my ears the mids were too recessed to make the sound 'musical'

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #28 of 33
The DT990 have an excelent bass and treble quality (one of the best in headphones imho), both extend a lot. The bass is very tight and fast, with excellent texture. The mids are also excellent in quality.... The bad is when you listen a bass heavy song. The bass can mask a little the mid details (but that depend of the source & amp that you uses). Another thing is that the upper mids are a little laidback...
Well, you can read my review in headphonereviews.org about them if you want...
Quote:

I don't need oddles of either but I like quality (ie tight lean bass over heavy sloppy. Treble needs to be clear, i dont like 'soft sounding' because of this I have shunned the Sennheiser signature).

I think recessed mids may give me a problem as I tend to find that this characteristics drains the life from the music - the midrange is where most of the music lies (unless its drum n bass!).

I've never heard a Beyer but I heard a Senn HD600 and to my ears the mids were too recessed to make the sound 'musical'

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

It seemed that way to me for the first ten minutes that I had my 770s, then it either started breaking in and/or my ears adjusted. At any rate, the mids are sounding pretty damn sweet now.

I think maybe the "recessedness" may reflect the bigger headstage vs. the Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back