What are the absolute best headphones?
May 6, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If money wasn't a problem, what are the best quality headphones out there right now?

Alright, I guess since there isn't a single headphone that's the best, what are some that are the best?

here is a sticky thread to get you started..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13854
Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old)
Most commonly used 'Phones (sub $500)

Hiya...

Inspired by a thread by Carlo, I'm going to try this as a trial, and see how things go... If you haven't already seen that thread, basically we're going to try and get an FAQ going ~ to which end, we need your opinions (good and bad ~ but no flame wars) for any popular headphones that are available for less than $500 (standard MSRP... Discounted products aren't really applicable)

The replies need to be as short, and concise as possible, because they're (hopefully ~ if this takes off) going to be used as quotes within a new sticky (locked) thread...

Lets see if this works ?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a few contenders but it's entirely up to the listeners taste and the system has to be up to snuff down to the last part. The headphones are only the last part in a very long and expensive chain.

I know, I'm asking what they contenders are.

May 6, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, I'm asking what they contenders are.

In my book there is only one, Stax SR-007 but the Sennheiser He90, Stax SR-Omega, Sennheiser He60, Stax 4070 are all excellent. I'll let others comment on the dynamic phones.

May 7, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #22 of 48
That are being made today?

The contenders are Stax SR-007, Stax 4070, TakeT H2, Grado GS1000, JVC DX1000, Ultrasone Edition 9, Ergo AMT, Audio Technica W5000.

Including headphones which are no longer being made?

Sennheiser HE90 (Orpheus), HE60 (Baby Orpheus), AKG K1000, Grado PS1, Grado HP-1000, Audio Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010, Sony MDR-R10 (The King), Stax SR-Sigma Pro, Stax SR-Omega.

All of these mentioned would be contending for the "best headphone" top spot, which would be the winner depends entirely on the ears that are listening to them, and I dont think that anyone on head-fi has had the honour of listening to everything I've just listed.

May 7, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #24 of 48
I really enjoy my Darth Beyer's. Can't imagine that I would like another headphone better personally.

May 7, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #25 of 48
Obviously the bose QC3s, the apple store guy said that they cannot be beat, and stand up to headphones double the price. He was working at the genius bar, so he is the ultimate authority as far as audio.

May 7, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #26 of 48
For me:

Best Vocal & 3-D Soundstage & Resolving of Details: Sony MDR-R10
Best Bass & PRaT: Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 (Ultrasone ED9 is also very good)
Best imaging & Details: Sony Qualia 010
Best Value: Senn HD-650 w/ upgrade cable
Best Sounding for me: Sony MDR-R10 w/ upgraded SDS

Oh....I want to add that I yet to audition the HE-90 system in my rig.

May 7, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #27 of 48
is the same thing asking what is the best tasting food or the hottest woman on earth, there are no definite answer. Everyone has a different taste and opinion about things, it is impossible to make such statement.

May 7, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #28 of 48
Entirely subjective, absolutely, but I'm still hung up on the K-1000.

Though I've got a couple pairs of Grados I'm deeply in love with and the K-501 can sound an awful lot like a K-1000 at times....

May 7, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #30 of 48
I think Duggeh's list is pretty complete and I dig Purk's answer. For me... it's probably Qualias for detail. Orpheus for that sweet euphonic sound. L3000s for bass. K1000s for that supreme soundstage. I have to listen to the R10 more to really come to a decision as where to place it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back