What are good headphones for listening to rock?
Dec 26, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #16 of 25
Just went back and read that you were only 14, my recommending the Audeze LCD-2, no way I would expect a 14 year old to want or be able to purchase a $1000 headphone :) . That being said I got my first pair or headphones (Grado SR-80's) around 15 and they started me on my path to better headphones so don't be suprised when one day your buying yourself a $1000 pair! I would definately recommend the Grado's over the Skullcandy one's, but if looks are that important have you checked out VModa's Crossfade LP's? They are currently around $140 on Amazon, but they frequently have them as a deal of the day for much less. I actually picked up a pair for $69 recently as a headphone to use when traveling and was actually quite suprised by them. Very heavy on bass and I think they would go well with your musical taste (Black Key's, Arctic Monkeys are both bands I listen too and are perfect for those headphones). I would say they are better than both Beats and Aviators which I both disliked. Hope that helped a little.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 25
Considering you have a headphone for your dub-step etc needs, then the Skullcandy Aviators would make a fine choice for your other needs.  Being closed, efficient and good sounding, reasonably balanced, circumaural and fairly comfortable with a bit of street cred in the looks department.
As with anything headphone if you can listen before you buy, that is wise, as comfort and signature are contingent to the user.

The Grados (Sr60, Sr80 and Sr125 and Alessandro MS1) are good headphones particularly if you like "aggressive/forward" sound signatures, however they will leak sound and comfort is an issue with a greater percentage of the population.  Some like their looks (retro) but I think compared to the "Beats" appeal market, many would described them as dorky.

Sennheiser Amperiors may be worth considering and they can be picked up fairly cheap at the moment.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #18 of 25
I don't agree with the Grado's looking dorky, but the fact that they do leak sound makes them not ideal for portable use, even though I would say they are the most neutral and best all around headphone of the bunch being suggested here.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #19 of 25
I don't agree with the Grado's looking dorky, but the fact that they do leak sound makes them not ideal for portable use, even though I would say they are the most neutral and best all around headphone of the bunch being suggested here.

I would take a pair a pair of Amperiors over a Grado SR80 anyday, but that is what opinions are all about.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #20 of 25
That's one I'm not familiar with actually so I guess my statemant was a little too broad, they look pretty nice on Amazon though the price is a little bit higher @ $183 right now. Sennheiser definately makes good phones though, I would stick to a brand like Sennheiser, Grado, etc. before buying fashion oriented headphones from companies like Skullcandy or Beats.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #21 of 25
Just went back and read that you were only 14, my recommending the Audeze LCD-2, no way I would expect a 14 year old to want or be able to purchase a $1000 headphone :) . That being said I got my first pair or headphones (Grado SR-80's) around 15 and they started me on my path to better headphones so don't be suprised when one day your buying yourself a $1000 pair! I would definately recommend the Grado's over the Skullcandy one's, but if looks are that important have you checked out VModa's Crossfade LP's? They are currently around $140 on Amazon, but they frequently have them as a deal of the day for much less. I actually picked up a pair for $69 recently as a headphone to use when traveling and was actually quite suprised by them. Very heavy on bass and I think they would go well with your musical taste (Black Key's, Arctic Monkeys are both bands I listen too and are perfect for those headphones). I would say they are better than both Beats and Aviators which I both disliked. Hope that helped a little.
Like I said though I already have a headphone for bass (SOL tracks HD FYI) and also I've heard that the LP's bass is muddy.

I don't want a Beats like headphone. I can't stand beats. Ugh.

I've heard about the M80 though but it's like ~$200

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #22 of 25
Yeah if I got Grados they would be stay at home headphones for my guitar amp or record player (when I get one)

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #23 of 25
K545, K550 from AKG are woth looking at

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #24 of 25
Yeah AKG 701's are one of the better affordable options that I've owned also, they are around $250 now I believe. Though they are definately not the best looking headphones, nor are they for portable use.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #25 of 25
AKG 701 for rock music? Are you sure about that? They are known more as a large soundstage/bass light headphone for more classical stuff. What are you using to amp them?

Then again, I like the HD800 for some rock music because of the quick decay. Slower headphones really show their limitations on speed metal. Need to kill the brightness first though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back