What are good headphones for listening to rock?
Dec 24, 2013 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

VincentMontoya

New Head-Fier
I need a good headphone for listening to rock (think bands like the Arctic Monkeys, black keys, Strokes, Shins, Kooks, Two Door Cinema club, etc). I listen to other genres such as jazz, metal, indie, indie pop, the occasional classical, dubstep, techno, and electronica (I already have headphones for the last 3 genres though).

The headphones I have on my radar are Skullcandy Aviators, Audiotechinca M50's and Grados.

My question is, which brand should I go with.

And also if Grados, what model should I buy. I'm looking at a $100-$200 price range, and I'd like for them to be over ear. I would like a clean, more balanced sound. Bass isn't much of an issue (if I want bass I have Sol Republics I can use) but I do want clear mids and good highs. I'm not too sure how important soundstage is with my genre, but I don't want these having the soundstage of a **** pair or ear buds.

Looks are also kind of a priority considering I'm 14 (hence the aviators) but it is the least important.

Thanks for the help c:

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 25
It would help to know what sources your plugging the headphones into?

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 25
I think in that price range the Audiotechinca M50's are your best bet. If you can go higher I think the Audeze LCD-2's are a great headphone for rock music, paired with a nice amplified, but that may be something to save up for.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 25
I think in that price range the Audiotechinca M50's are your best bet. If you can go higher I think the Audeze LCD-2's are a great headphone for rock music, paired with a nice amplified, but that may be something to save up for.
Haha I'm not going to be dropping $1,000 on a pair of cans anytime soon. I could buy a les Paul with that. But on the subject of the M50's. I've heard people say they're better in the low end and tend to cut off on highs, is this true?

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 25
You'd be suprised how soon you'll get to wanting a pair of $1000 headphones the deeper you get into the music :) Yes though, that is absolutely the case, they are great for music with strong bass, but if your into a lot of acoustic music or classical music for example I don't think they are the best fit although they are a very strong all around headphone at that price range.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 25
Haha I'm not going to be dropping $1,000 on a pair of cans anytime soon. I could buy a les Paul with that. But on the subject of the M50's. I've heard people say they're better in the low end and tend to cut off on highs, is this true?
actually quite the opposite, the highs are harsh and tizzy, while the low end is boomy and tends to roll off, you'd be better off with the grados or the denon hp700, as those two cans tend to bring a better overall experience to your rock.

However both of them can be fairly uncomfortable if you have extremely large or extremely small ears. Another great recommendation would be the hd439's as they have great mids and highs, while having the capability to deliver impactful, deep bass (also they are EXTREMELY comfy).

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 25
Mad Dogs. You can get them for about $200 used nowadays and I find them equally as good as the LCD-2 and Hifiman HE-500 for rock and metal. They are fast and detailed, but they have a gorgeous low end that doesn't bleed into the mids and JUST enough sparkle. I really haven't enjoyed my metal CD's this much in a long time.

I drive mine with a Schiit Magni and Lyr, but they tend to sound better the more power you feed them and they pair well with a lot of different amps.

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 25
Well, Grados do rock very nice, but they are not over the ear headphones, unless you have tiny ears.

If you do not have tiny ears, the Grados will sit on the ear.

A $100 to $200 budget for Grados would range from the SR60i thru the SR225i.......even include the SR325i , that is if you don't mind used.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 25
The two your lookin at go for $100 & $120 on Amazon it looks like, I've liked Grado's a lot, they were my first pair or higher-end headphones. I would definately recommend them for rock, although the Mad Dogs are also a strong contender in that price range if your still not decided.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 25
Since you're concerned with looks, I'm assuming you'll be using these on the go, or at least where other people can see and therefore hear you. If this is the case, then Grados are most definitely not what you are looking for - they are open air, which means that you will hear everything around you, as well as bleed sound across the room, which is usually not appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back