What amps have dual input or output?
Jul 1, 2005 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kameleon

500+ Head-Fier
As title, I'm looking for a headphone amp with more than just one in/one out, for connecting to two soundcards or to a soundcard and my cd player, or for listening to two headphones at the same time. What are my options?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 19
How much are you willing to spend? Also, if you know someone, or can build amps yourself, it shouldn't be that hard to integrate those features into any design. Right now I have a Millet Hybrid being built with 3 switchable inputs.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 19
This will be my first amp, I've been trying to decide between fully stationary (Gilmore Lite) and fully mobile (SR-71) and coming to the conclusion that the versatility of something like the Supermacro 3 would suit me better, but then it dawned on me that I'd find it really annoying switching cables around for input, even more so than swapping out headphones.

I've looked into DIY, and I realise that it's probably the best way to get exactly what I want, but even though I know someone who'd make me an amp more or less to my specifications I'd still prefer the professional touch, especially where the enclosure is involved.

I guess I'm just too picky
rolleyes.gif

EDIT - As for budget, those above choices should give you a rough idea, as the Gilmore Lite would have to be with the dedicated PSU for me in 230V-land my upper limit is around the $500 mark.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 19
Well from your specifications, I doubt you'll be able to fit all that into a portable amp, transportable is more like it
icon10.gif

Basically I think you have two options. 1. You can go with a nice portable amp like Ray's SR-71's, Xin's SuperMacro, or Z-Audio's Lambda. And 2. Find and DIY'er (or yourself!) willing to build you an amp based on your specs. Of course your budget will determine what kind of design it's based off of (Pimeta, PPA, M3...), but you can still get your dual inputs and outputs. Plus, cases are fun to choose yourself
tongue.gif

edit: I just read your edit...and I think an M3 from RockHopper Audio could work out for you. Contact the member Thrice, he could be able to build you an amp with your specs in mind. I got to play with one of his creations last weekend, and they are built very solid. The link to his site is here .

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 19
for two headphone outs

Creek OBH-11SE runs 2 & half-power

MAD Ear+ 25th Anniv runs 2 at full power.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 19
You can use two headphones from any amp by simply using a splitter cable out of the headphone jack. Many amps that have two jacks simply do the same thing internally (hook up the jacks in parallel). All you need to do is to make sure that the amp has sufficient power to drive two headphones simultaneously.

Switchable inputs are present in many amps, and in others can be built in on request.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm looking into them
smily_headphones1.gif

Another thought has struck me as regards the inputs, could I not connect everything to my speaker amp (nothing snazzy, a Cambridge Audio A500) and then run the headphone amp off the pre-out of the A500? That would allow me to select the input at the amp, which would then be fed into the headphone amp - then if I want to listen to headphones I just need to turn the speakers all the way down.

Would using the pre-out degrade the signal going through to the amp significantly, or is that a sound plan?

EDIT - Hirsch, I've considered that, but for cans with very different impedances/efficiencies it would probably mean good volume from one and either too loud or too quiet from the other, wouldn't it?

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Another thought has struck me as regards the inputs, could I not connect everything to my speaker amp (nothing snazzy, a Cambridge Audio A500) and then run the headphone amp off the pre-out of the A500? That would allow me to select the input at the amp, which would then be fed into the headphone amp - then if I want to listen to headphones I just need to turn the speakers all the way down.

Would using the pre-out degrade the signal going through to the amp significantly, or is that a sound plan?

You would not want to use the pre-out, but instead use a tape loop or processor loop if your speaker amp has one. That way, you'll dodge using the active circuitry in the speaker amp, and have the most direct path to the headphone amp.

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

EDIT - Hirsch, I've considered that, but for cans with very different impedances/efficiencies it would probably mean good volume from one and either too loud or too quiet from the other, wouldn't it?

Yes, but that's true of amps that have two headphones out also, unless the outputs have got independent volume controls (and balanced amps are the only ones I know of that have this). The only amp I've got that has that kind of capability is the SDS-XLR, which can actually operate as two independent amps with separate controls (but is overkill for what you need). The Gilmore Balanced Reference can do this at much lower cost, but it's not cheap either. If you're going to be trying to drive headphones of varying sensitivities/impedances, you might be better off simply using two amps.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Yes, but that's true of amps that have two headphones out also, unless the outputs have got independent volume controls (and balanced amps are the only ones I know of that have this). The only amp I've got that has that kind of capability is the SDS-XLR, which can actually operate as two independent amps with separate controls (but is overkill for what you need). The Gilmore Balanced Reference can do this at much lower cost, but it's not cheap either. If you're going to be trying to drive headphones of varying sensitivities/impedances, you might be better off simply using two amps.

Hah, didn't think of that. Thanks, sounds like I should just get a single-output amp for starters then
rolleyes.gif

As regards the pre-out, I thought that was the one that completely bypassed the internal amp circuitry? This is the back of my amp, all except the speaker terminals, PRE OUT and REC OUT are selectable inputs. Is there any way I could make this idea work, as it would be ideal for me.

And thanks for all your help so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 19
My Solo is a bit out of your price range, but you might be able to find one used at a reasonable price. It has two inputs and a selector switch tween the two. Just one headphone out tho! The only thing this thing is missing is an additional line out - to act as a preamp i just use the headphone out, no worries.

My box is black, but check out the back of this one to see what I mean-
Solo%202004%20rear.jpg

Jul 1, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

As regards the pre-out, I thought that was the one that completely bypassed the internal amp circuitry? This is the back of my amp, all except the speaker terminals, PRE OUT and REC OUT are selectable inputs. Is there any way I could make this idea work, as it would be ideal for me.

The PRE OUT will have all of the active preamp section of the amp in line. It's use is to be connected to external power amplifiers. The REC OUT is the one that will bypass the internal preamp circuitry, which is what you want to do. The record out will have the signal from whatever source is selected, but the volume control and most of the preamp circuitry won't affect it.

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
The PRE OUT will have all of the active preamp section of the amp in line. It's use is to be connected to external power amplifiers. The REC OUT is the one that will bypass the internal preamp circuitry, which is what you want to do. The record out will have the signal from whatever source is selected, but the volume control and most of the preamp circuitry won't affect it.

OK great, I'd rather do that and have a larger range of choices in amps than be forced into picking amps on the basis of their inputs. Thanks a lot guys, I think this is my solution
cool.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 19
Consider a Fid-Audio Quintete switchbox (www.fidaudio.com). It's priced fairly, very well built, elegantly simple, and has no audible impact on the sound to my ears. You can switch between 2 amps and 3 sources (or vice versa).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back