What amplifier should I get with the HE400's?
Sep 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

krzkrzkrz

New Head-Fier
What amplifier should I get with the HE400's? Thinking of the portable E11 or should I consider something else like the E17 DAC. I like the E11 because it seems portable. But worried about the quality not being as good .

Second, is it "mandatory" that I have an amplifier with this? Does the sound quality change significantly? I'll be using the headphones, playing music from my laptop, as I code (I am a developer). Thoughts?

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 12
E17 is just as portable as E11. Both have pretty topnotch quality IMO, much better than FiiO's older products like E7.

If you are using it on laptop then get the E17 since it also has a decent DAC, unlike E11 which is only an amp. Laptop built-in soundcards have crap for DACs.

And yes there is 1) a major impact on volume, you will NOT get loud enough volume out of your laptop with the HE400, and 2) significant improvement in SQ especially with DAC + Amp out of the E17. Underpowering a relatively power-hungry headphone is gonna get you an anemic thin sound that is cramped with bad instrument separation and flabby bass. Do you want that?

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 12
It is not mandatory with HE-400. I am currently running it unamped with just an Audigy Soundblaster ($30 soundcard), and it has great sound(good instrument separation, rumbling sub-bass) and can play at very loud volumes. Usually don't listen to music at over 50% with it.

Can run at a good listening volume in my Cowon X7 as well, just needs to be pumped up all the way.

I can't say how big of a difference an amp makes as I haven't gotten mine yet. But I'll fill you in a couple days from now.

Maybe it will turn into a totally new headphone for me, which would make the amp mandatory in a sense, but as far as volume goes I can tell you it doesn't require an amp for decent volume.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
What amplifier should I get with the HE400's? Thinking of the portable E11 or should I consider something else like the E17 DAC. I like the E11 because it seems portable. But worried about the quality not being as good .

Second, is it "mandatory" that I have an amplifier with this? Does the sound quality change significantly? I'll be using the headphones, playing music from my laptop, as I code (I am a developer). Thoughts?

Heya,

If using your laptop exclusively, check out the Fiio E10.

Very best,

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Sep 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Are there other amps I should consider with the HE400's?

Chewy4, any updates? Does an amp make a "significant" difference in terms of sound quality?

I've only beenplaying around for 20 minutes, but I'm almost positive that it makes a great difference. At any rate, the increase in volume is worth it. I set my STX at +12db gain by the way, even though it says it's for >60Ohm.

I remember listening to some songs from "An Orchestrated Rise to Fall" by the Album Leaf yesterday and thinking the treble was a bit overwhelming. Particularly in the song Wander where it starts of with the piano mostly in the right ear. I don't get that at all now, it sounds a lot clearer.

As far as bass goes, it didn't make it any more powerful or anything.

I wish I would have left my old sound card in so I could do a fair test by switching back and forth... maybe I'll try that later. But I'm almost positive that it makes a very significant difference.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Which amp and headphones are you using?

I'm using the Xonar Essence STX with the HE-400's.

It really does clear it up quite a bit. Listening to loud volumes is much more bearable, much less muddy overall, and you want to be able to experience these headphones at the volumes an amp can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back