What amp for Senn HD-650?
Aug 11, 2005 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

elitico

100+ Head-Fier
I got a pair of hd-650 with an x-can v2 amp and a meridan g07 source. I'm not really satisfied with the sound so I'm looking for an another source and amp right now. I thougt that combination sounded boring.

What kind of amp would you recommend together with HD-650? I have tought about Earmax PRO, but i don't know. Where's the cheapest place to buy it in europe anyhow?

I think I'm the tube type guy anyhow because it's importent for me that voices sound organic, smoth and living. I don't really care about getting the maximum resolution as long as I get moved by the music. I want the music to sound simply beautiful.

I hope you understand what i writing, my english is really horrible.

Aug 11, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 30
Grandenigma1 has already listed the headphone amplifiers I would put at the top of my shortlist. I don't think there is any question that the X-cans is the weak link--although the HD-650 have been described as "boring" by others. I am certain that you can find a tubed amp which will give you the sense of excitement you desire. Something to think about might be the Singlepower PPX3-SLAM or the MPX3-SLAM.

Aug 11, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by elitico
I have tought about Earmax PRO, but i don't know. Where's the cheapest place to buy it in Europe anyhow?

I got mine from HiFi Belzer in Germany. Current price: € 550.-. The Tube Amp Doctor wants € 499.-. BonnAudio sells it for € 520.-. (All in Germany)

I can highly recommend it if you want an organic sound with the HD 650. If you prefer transparency to lushness (without giving up organicalness) go for new tubes such as Electro Harmonix instead of NOS.

peacesign.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 30
I would add RKV MKII to the list. It adds much enjoyment (call it a sonic signature or coloring) to the music especially with HD6x0 series phones. Highend is slightly recessed, but I love its midrange and superb bass.
basshead.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 30
Give Rudistor RP5.1 a try. 700 Euros from Italy. Great amp! The unit comes with a pair of Sylvania JAN 6922 stock. I've been rolling different tubes for the past few weeks, so far I have gone through different variations of Mullard 6DJ8s/6922s, Siemens 6DJ8s/6922s, and Amperex 6DJ8s. Hands down, the Amperex tubes sound the most balanced. My favorite so far is the Amperex orange globe with a dimple disc getter. All the white label Amperex 6DJ8s sound slightly bright in my system. Still on the list to try are Amperex 6922/7309 and Siemens CCa.

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 30
Rudistor RP5 is a really awesome match for the HD-650 although the MPX3 gives slightly better bass, and smoother mids, but is a bit slower and less detailed. Can't go wrong with the Ray Samuels solid state stuff even if you are a tube guy, they've got all the things you love about tubes and more.

Indeed, this question is asked every day but I've asked common questions before because there were just too many threads on a subject and I wanted a suggestion just for me. For the original poster people have done well to suggest european manufacturers to save him a bit on shipping.

EDIT: 500th post. Woot. Fitting for me that it comes in a quiet unassuming thread, since I've been a member since 2/14/04 for a lowly .92 posts per day.

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHVentus
SinglePower! My Maestro ZR sounds great with my S650's

It amazes me that this same Q about "best amp for the 650's" gets asked nearly everyday, & still gets responses.

I spent an hour listening to the combo (Onix CD player, Maestro ZR, Senn650/Zu Mobius) this past weekend at the San Jose meet. This is no doubt a great combo! The Maestro costs $3300 stock and $5500 with all the upgrades (according to Michail). But I would love to have a chance to see how my Rudistor would stack up to the Maestro. From my memory, both share some similar characteristics.

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
I would add RKV MKII to the list. It adds much enjoyment (call it a sonic signature or coloring) to the music especially with HD6x0 series phones. Highend is slightly recessed, but I love its midrange and superb bass.
basshead.gif

I second that.

And the slightly recessed high end can be easily cured by way of opamp rolling. This mod catapults the already excellent RKV into an even higher league, and I am not exaggerating. I have tried it, and so has fellow head-fier 00940.

The change for the better is much much easier audible than, say, a change of cabling. It's almost like getting a new amp, while the RKV's legendary midrange appeal and superb bass are in no way affected (I am using OPA 637s instead of the stock opamps).

The RKV is the no. 1 sleeper amp on head-fi and it drives anything with its 3 wpc, including AKG K-1000s. Get a used one, get the mod, and be happy.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 30
I had the X-Can v2 before I got my Singlepower amp, and the difference was truly astounding. I'm sure all of the others are good choices too. The X-Can is a nice little amp, but a decent amp will really bring out the best of the HD-650's and the Meridian. I'm sure you'll be real pleased at the improvement no matter which way you go.

Aug 12, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 30
I used my 650/Zu with the Ray Samuels Audio Raptor and Stealth tube amps at the recent San Jose meet. I was very impressed with their warm and spacious sound. He was using a Meridian CD player as a source.

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #15 of 30
Sorry if this goes little offtopic.

I have hard times to decide should I save for a while and then buy Stax Classic System II or should I just upgrade my current equipment with upgrade cable, a different amp and maybe a different sound card. I tested Classic System and it sounded amazing but I know that 650s has very much potential to sound even as great with a little effort.

What should I do?

And would it be an upgrade if I'd get Corda HA1 or Gilmore Lite?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back