What am I doing wrong?
Oct 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DiPoet

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]For some reason no matter what earphones I buy the wire always gets messed up. Forcing me to toggle the cord or keep it in place for music to play through both sides. This usually happens after like 4-6 months. I'm trying to figure out is this something I'm doing wrong or my products are just too cheap.[/size][size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]I've used skullcandy $20 earphones and [/size][size=medium]MEElectronics [/size][size=medium]M9 and M11+[/size]

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 21
Two Year Warranty on Etymotic...

And better cord management will serve you well.

Good Luck with your search, Jim

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 21
Can you take a picture and show us how you normally store your IEM's away? I usually loosely wrap my IEM cables around 3 fingers while kind of loosely letting them dangle so they don't twist while i wrap them around my fingers.

I have a pair of Skullcandy Ink'd that I use from time to time and I kinda of just toss them around, and they've survived so far. Are you putting them in a case after using them, or just stuffing them in your pockets/backpack?

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
[size=medium]For some reason no matter what earphones I buy the wire always gets messed up. Forcing me to toggle the cord or keep it in place for music to play through both sides. This usually happens after like 4-6 months. I'm trying to figure out is this something I'm doing wrong or my products are just too cheap.[/size][size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]I've used skullcandy $20 earphones and [/size][size=medium]MEElectronics [/size][size=medium]M9 and M11+[/size]

even the strongest cable will have hard time if abused (intentionally or not) and even the weakest will serve you more than you'd expect. so yeah, there's high possibility that you're doing something wrong, mainly the way you store your iems. if you just bundle it u and put it in pockets with other things, they won't last. also, if you wrap them around your fingers, you shouldn't do it too tight - they are no ropes :D

also, the areas where the strain reliefs are (or should be) nust be paid additional attention. sometimes, if it is just plugged to your ipod or whatever you got and it is positioned incorrectly in the pockets, it may cause excess strain near the jack. 

there are plenty of possible scenarios...

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
Can you take a picture and show us how you normally store your IEM's away? I usually loosely wrap my IEM cables around 3 fingers while kind of loosely letting them dangle so they don't twist while i wrap them around my fingers.

I have a pair of Skullcandy Ink'd that I use from time to time and I kinda of just toss them around, and they've survived so far. Are you putting them in a case after using them, or just stuffing them in your pockets/backpack?

I store my IEM's by just laying them down on my nightstand. I don't wrap them in anyway. When walking around I have them draped over my neck and connected to my ipod.
I just took this pic - http://i45.tinypic.com/2ugza6u.jpg

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 21
normal wrapping around the fingers will twist the cable one revoloution for every round you go around your fingers, so what i normally do is to spin the cable a rotation for every round i put it around my fingers, so there is no twisting of the cable, its compensated when i spin the cable

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
When you listen, do you put the ipod in your pocket along with the cable? Sometimes that may damage it. If not, then I'm out of ideas. lol.

I never stuff my cables in my pocket. They are always draped over my neck connected to my ipod 90% of the time. The other 10% I'll just have them draped around my neck and held together with the clip. That's why I don't what I'm doing wrong.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

I never stuff my cables in my pocket. They are always draped over my neck connected to my ipod 90% of the time. The other 10% I'll just have them draped around my neck and held together with the clip. That's why I don't what I'm doing wrong.

yeah, I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing... only suggestion would be to buy something with much more flexible and durable cables I guess or even better - detachable cables. although meelecs usually come with really good cables and served me more than a year without any problem...

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
yeah, I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing... only suggestion would be to buy something with much more flexible and durable cables I guess or even better - detachable cables. although meelecs usually come with really good cables and served me more than a year without any problem...

Can anyone recommend some IEM's with long lasting cables? Since it seems I'm cursed when it comes to IEM's lol.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 21
See 3rd Post...

Can anyone recommend some IEM's with long lasting cables? Since it seems I'm cursed when it comes to IEM's lol.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 21
Just curious, do you ever store or use your headphones in a way where there is a sharp turn in the cable near the headphone jack? 

On a side note, try getting something with replaceable cables! lol. Some cheaper options w/ replaceable cables would be like a Shure SE215. I'm sure there's others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
Just curious, do you ever store or use your headphones in a way where there is a sharp turn in the cable near the headphone jack? 

On a side note, try getting something with replaceable cables! lol. Some cheaper options w/ replaceable cables would be like a Shure SE215. I'm sure there's others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I would need a picture describing this sharp turn you're talking about.

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
See 3rd Post...

Ety mc5 vs Shure SE215 ?

I mainly listen to hip hop, jazz, reggae/dancehall. My budget would probably be $80-100 at the very max, but spending so much needs to be justifiable. Also I need bass for my music, I need to feel the vibration in my body everytime the bass hits. Otherwise my music feels dead and doesn't energize me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back