What Advantages Do Earbuds Hold Over IEMs?
Nov 26, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #16 of 36
Well if you like to enjoy your music.....there are no good sounding earbuds.

At least I haven't heard one I thought came close to giving me what even a minimum performing iem gives me.

If you want to maintain awareness try a pair of Koss KSC-75

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #17 of 36

Quote:

At least I haven't heard one I thought came close to giving me what even a minimum performing iem gives me.

Holy necro! Where did you even find a thread that hasn't seen action in ten months?

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #18 of 36

Quote:
Holy necro! Where did you even find a thread that hasn't seen action in ten months?

I have the innate ability to summon and raise the dead.
wink_face.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #19 of 36

Quote:

What earbuds have you tried?

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #20 of 36

Quote:
I hate that about IEMs. You constantly have to keep your ears clean of any wax or you end up pulling out the IEM covered in it, it's not pleasant to say the least.

Having read what everyone else has said, I wouldn't mind switching to earbuds if not for the fact that I get really annoyed with people talking on the bus and that the busses often drown out my music to an extent even when using IEMs.

Does anyone know of a good 'entry level' earbud I could buy to see if I'd prefer them to IEMs? I was thinking of buying a new IEM but if I can get away with using earbuds instead it might be nice to try a pair of those instead.

blox m2c 

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #21 of 36

Quote:

if you're suggesting ksc-75 immediately after stating that you haven't heard any earbuds that sound remotely decent, then it doesn't sound like you've listened to any good earbuds...there are quite a few great sounding earbuds, just because you haven't listened to them doesn't mean that they don't exist. i haven't used my RE0 in probably at least a year, since i went to earbuds. i use my headphones at work, and i can't have isolation because i need to hear people around me. but even when i'm not at work, i'm rarely compelled to grab the RE0 based on the idea that they would sound better than my earbuds. technically they do sound a *little* better, but honestly my pk1, mx880, and piano forte ii are simply more fun to listen to, *and* they still sound awesome.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #22 of 36
The Sennheiser MX580 for $23 sounds quite good.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #23 of 36
I haven't had experience with too many ear buds, but the issue I have with most of them is that if I try to get them to stay put in my ear they hurt or if I rest them where they feel comfortable they either flap about or fall out completely. For me IEMs are more comfortable because of that. And I've been giving a try to the Phiaton PS210. Because of it's semi open design and being a half in-ear phone it does a great job when eating or talking to someone. Less isolation but more comfortable than a full fledged ear bud. Think of it like a crossover of the two.

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #24 of 36
sony mdr e818lp for 10 dollars is not bad in my opinion, better than sony mdr e10lp, philips she2640, and panasonic rp-hv152. they are all 10 dollars earbuds and i tried all 4 of them. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #25 of 36
The Sennheiser MX580 traditional earbuds is so much better than the Sony E828. It has much better highs and much more detail. The E828 has more bass, but also much more distortion. The E828 is only around $8. These is also the Sennheiser MX270 for around $12. It is said to be a less refined version of the MX580 with less detail.

As for the IEM vs traditional earbuds debate, I have and use both. I use earbuds mostly when walking around. I use IEMs when sitting. I am afraid to wear IEMs when walking around, especially when I am crossing traffic intersections.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #27 of 36
I can't use earbuds, that feeling when the sound gets better while applying slight pressure killed it for me. Soo annoying. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #28 of 36

Quote:
I can't use earbuds, that feeling when the sound gets better while applying slight pressure killed it for me. Soo annoying. 

that means you dont have a proper seal and when you apply slight pressure, the seal is better and theres a slight bass increase and balance out the eq so the excessive treble is gone.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #29 of 36
I used to be a buds ONLY guy.  I had the Yuin PK1's and other low budget buds that I would use for everyday listening.  I now prefer IEM's because I felt that I would always raise the volume when I was in a train or on the bus to drown out my surrounding noise with ear buds.  I feel that ear buds will actually hurt your ears more than IEMs.  I use my MeElecs M6Ps and listen to them at low levels beautifully at the gym.  When I want to be able to hear my surroundings more when I'm on the go, I use my new Monoprice 8320's that have very poor isolation but still block out some surrounding noise as opposed to ear buds.  Plus, music just sounds so much better with IEMs and you don't have to listen to them at high volumes either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back