What about Sennheiser HD595 ?
Jan 11, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even I'm considering getting one. But I have the AT A700's, and I am not all that convinced that it will be better. Which is why I havent fallen for it yet...
If you do get one, let us know what you think.

I have the A900 (work)and HD595 (bed). I think the HD595s (50 ohm) are better overall and improve more with an amp. Course I'm an open unless closed is needed guy. Situation dictates much of owning one over another or both. Still if properly amped (which sometimes seems never ending upgrade) the HD650 beats the HD595 on almost every level (as does the K701 above) except low power requirements. The HD595 (especially at current street prices) is a great deal though. I'd have no problem recommending it for anyone with or without an amp. Although the HD555 or MS1 may make more sense is some cases, the price difference is getting smaller all the time.

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #17 of 34
blessingx - hd650 > hd595 - not exactly. Different sound signatures, and I for one enjoy the lightness of the sound hd595 more than the detail and smoothness of hd650. One of my friends promptly describes hd650 as drowning in chocolate...and I agree with that, there is just something terribly wrong to my ears. Managed to get it to be really prominent when comparing 650 to sr-404 on Pink Floyd's Money - saxophone is reproduced incorrectly, and I know that solo by heart.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #18 of 34
I'm very surprised a lot of people they lack bass, I found them to have awesome bass! I'm running them through a stereo amp, going to upgrade to a proper headphone soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

And yes, the HD595 are awesome!

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #19 of 34
Usually the only drawback in a closed type headphone is the soundstage, or lack of it. Take the K81's for example, while they do sound good, they sound narrow. When you take them off and put on an open headphone, the difference is immediately apparent.

But A700/900, completely different story. Their soundstage is huge and wide. I dont think anyone can tell that they are closed phones unless they are told so. And the bass is big and punchy which I like. It might be too much for others, but I simply love the fatness of the bass drums and the boom in some of the tracks.

Which is why I have a part of me telling me that I will be dissapointed with the 595's. Many folks say bass is slightly on the leaner side. For spending 200 bucks on something (which might not be much for several ppl on this forum, but for me its still a lot of money), it has to offer either something different from what you already have, or something better. From what I have read, the 595 doesnt appear to be able to do either, atleast not to an appreciable level.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #20 of 34
I find the HD595's have bloated/messy bass. It's there and a bit too much for me. I find the K701's to have the right amount of bass personally. Yea, I'm not that into bass. I just like it to hit hard when it should, and I find the K701's with my Aria to do just that.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the HD595's have bloated/messy bass. It's there and a bit too much for me.

To me this is what the HD595 sound like unamped. With a good amp the bass tightens up quite a lot and it becomes much better defined. I've yet to hear an amp totally eliminate the muddiness from them but it is a substantial improvement to me.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

but I simply love the fatness of the bass drums and the boom in some of the tracks.

Which is why I have a part of me telling me that I will be dissapointed with the 595's. Many folks say bass is slightly on the leaner side.

wait wait wait!

without amplification bass can be on the leaner side but if you use amp - there is no way that bass and lows will be missing. You won't get too much bass like in AKG k81dj's, sure thing, but it's enough.

Some people told me that bass is a weakness of hd595 but it is not true - it is enough, I'd say that for me bass in sr60's can be not sufficient but HD595's provide much stronger and better controled bass, to my ears in 200$ range they have the best balanced bass
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait wait wait!

without amplification bass can be on the leaner side but if you use amp - there is no way that bass and lows will be missing. You won't get too much bass like in AKG k81dj's, sure thing, but it's enough.

Some people told me that bass is a weakness of hd595 but it is not true - it is enough, I'd say that for me bass in sr60's can be not sufficient but HD595's provide much stronger and better controled bass, to my ears in 200$ range they have the best balanced bass
wink.gif

I agree by and large. The HD595 is one of those headphones that is good more because there isn't anything it does particularly wrong. The bass isn't the be and end all of bass but there's nothing particularly bad about it. You certainly aren't going to be thinking the bass isn't there, it's just a little more "polite" than some other headphones out there. The bass of the HD595 is a lot stronger than the Grado SR-80s in my experience.

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

I've yet to hear an amp totally eliminate the muddiness from them but it is a substantial improvement to me.

Supposedly SP Slam gets that done, although I do not have personal experience, there is a user on these boards that really recommends it. I decided that going to the electrostatic principles was a cheaper and simpler solution for me though.

Quote:

I find the HD595's have bloated/messy bass. It's there and a bit too much for me.

What's your source? Number of bass-heavy gaming audiocards (audigy anyone) will produce those results. My friend's toshiba mp3 player did not have any such issue with hd595 unamped.

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Supposedly SP Slam gets that done, although I do not have personal experience, there is a user on these boards that really recommends it.

Davesrose and/or SACD_lover I expect. I have no doubt they're right, I suspect they both have something close to the ideal HD595 system. Personally I wasn't so taken with the HD595's overall sound signature so was less keen to go down that path but I can imagine those amps do wonders for them.

Quote:

I decided that going to the electrostatic principles was a cheaper and simpler solution for me though.

For me it wasn't about price, I was just blown away by the electrostatic sound so to speak.

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it wasn't about price, I was just blown away by the electrostatic sound so to speak.

Yes, the sound impressed me also big time. I love the sheer speed of them.

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

What's your source? Number of bass-heavy gaming audiocards (audigy anyone) will produce those results. My friend's toshiba mp3 player did not have any such issue with hd595 unamped.

I source is a Corda Aria. It was muddier with my Audigy 2, which I used for a 2 months before I got my Aria, but even through the USB DAC, it's still muddy to me.

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #28 of 34
I have been pretty vocal about the HD595 and SLAM haven't I?
biggrin.gif
Well yes, I can say that the SLAM does a really good job with Senns. Whatever upper mid treble recession you might hear on less expensive stuff seems to go away with the SLAM. Now actually my HD650s are getting that level of detail too....and it was my transport that was the final piece. The HD595s are more aggressive then the HD650s, but aren't as extended. The HD650s are the most balanced and lifelike. I suspect I'd have to get an expensive electrostat to equal both the speed and bass of the HD650 on my system. But, I guess we won't find out right now, since my birthday money is going towards a vinyl setup
wink.gif
The HD595s are great all rounders and will always be good for hard rock, alternative, punk, electronica, and symphonies IMHO.

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I source is a Corda Aria. It was muddier with my Audigy 2, which I used for a 2 months before I got my Aria, but even through the USB DAC, it's still muddy to me.

Depends on your budget, but I would recommend trying out a dedicated CD player. Even with the Aria, I hear they can get warm sounding. It seems like a lot of people prefere AKGs over Senns with Meier stuff. So you need a source or an amp with more detail. Try out something like a Sony SCD-CE595: I know that player has some nice detail, but has a slight bass recession. So it might synergize with the Aria.

Big thing that the SLAM does with the HD595 is give it some nice tight soundstage and smooths out any uneveness in frequencies. It's not warm and tubey the way tubes are stereotyped.

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big thing that the SLAM does with the HD595 is give it some nice tight soundstage and smooths out any uneveness in frequencies. It's not warm and tubey the way tubes are stereotyped.

That's certainly what I found with my Xiang Sheng 708B as well. Personally I think this is what most good tube amps will do. Tubes have a reputation of being slow and adding heavy coloration to the sound but I don't think it's always deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back