What about Sennheiser HD595 ?
Jan 9, 2007 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

syncmaster68

Head-Fier
Hello!
I'm new on Headfi but I've been a music lover for too many years to remember. I listened to a lot of equipment in the '90s on my way to the Holy Grail of sound, but as I kept moving I got in the habit of travelling light.

My first question to the headphone experts who are contributing to this excellent forum concerns my amazement at the incongruous technical information I find on the net about the Sennheiser HD595 headphones. Sometimes rated at 120 ohms, most of the time they are credited with 50 ohms. I'm a bit lost...does it mean that not all senns are created equal, though they bear the same name??? The national distributor from Sennheiser denied that impedances other than 50 ohms would ever exist...

This Sennheiser model does not attract much attention,it seems. That's because they are not very good sounding headphones? Since I am looking forward to an upgrade to my old but trustworthy Senn HD 530 MKII, I do welcome all your suggestions. My musical tastes are eclectical, ranging from prog, pop-rock, electronica, to classical and some jazz. I occasionally give a try to the top chart songs as well.

I'd prefer a non-fatiguing but detailed, three-dimensional sound, without a headphone amp if possible (already have a PAV2 but I'm not impressed). I'm neither a bass freak, nor a treble maniac, but double cello should sound as a double cello and percussion, cymbals, should sound credible. Oh, and without needing bank loan...
I know, you cannot have it all...which best compromises would you suggest?

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

I know, you cannot have it all...which best compromises would you suggest?

ugh....hd595 =]

Ok, they are actually excellent rounded headphones that produce rather gentle sound.

The difference in impedance ratings is from two periods actually. Originally hd595 was made with 120 ohms, but everything post 2004 I think is 50 ohms. (the one I use is 50 ohm).

They do not 'need' amplification, but certainly benefit from a good source and adding a nice amp to it. Getting something like a lowbie Cmoy for it is a waste of money, but coupling them with a Bithead pays off.

They do not have strong, but rather audible and controlled bass. They do not have treble brightness of Grado (which is not something you would like either it seems), but they definetly are more 'fun' than hd600. (read brighter, but at reasonable levels, certainly so you can hear cymbals nice and clear). If you want to get into fine details - percussion is not one of their strengths (does not mean that it will sound bad, just not the best possible) but I have not heard a headphone setup in sub-1000 range to do drastically better on percussion.

Yup...honestly, hd595 is great, it kinda seems like noone likes it at first, but hell - we even have an hd595 appreciation thread and recommend em to everyone who walks in here with desire for a sub-200 unamped or amped headphone for wide variety styles of music.

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 34
Thank you MaloS for your answer. I did read the appreciation thread and got contradictory opinions. Some say it's 'veiled', others that it's too "in your face". As a seasoned Sennheiser user, I don't expect to hear a Beyerdynamic-like treble-oriented sound - as in some Beyer models. Unfortunately,I cannot afford the 600-650 series since they would surely need a top-notch amplifier.
However, which amp, eventually one available for shipping to Europe, would you, folks, recommend in the 100-150 $ range?

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 34
Well rounded is a good description....a good value too imo. Great gaming cans.

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 34
595s are great all round, they just lack a little bass. No difference in the 120 ohm or 50, just that the 50 doesnt need extra power from an amp. Ive put a good 250 hours into my 595s (On my head
600smile.gif
) for the 3 months I've had them, and they sound great for everything I listen to (Rock, Pop, Rap, Jazz, Funk, Classical, Alternative), and seeing what you listend to they would deffinatly be worth the buy. If you want a good deal with the 2 year warrantee go on ebay and look for BrianF, and ask if he will sell for $170ish. I have bought both my 650s and 595s off of him, great prices and fast shipping.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 34
I just took the EQ and turned the bass up. It is no longer weak.

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 34
I have just ebayed my Senn HD 530's and I'm on the brink of ordering a pair of 595's. I still have some time to change my mind, so I'm checking out the expert's opinion once again.

I've noticed that these HP's -as most other serious headphones -have a 6.3 mm jack and an adapter to 3.5mm. In my past experience, when I had to use a similar stock adapter, I sometimes had bad contact problems. Will that happen with the 595's as well?
If that's the case, which other higher quality adapter could I find?

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 34
HD595 sounds great without an amp, and a little better with an amp -- I use my 595's right out of the little portable Panasonic CD player, and PC headphone jack, and portable DVD player, with great results -- if I use an amp, too, it just gets a little better, but not as much change amped/not amped as many harder-to-drive headphones. Some phones NEED an amp to work properly (or a very good sound source).

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 34
I also envisage a PC sound card upgrade, my current Audigy LS being notoriously grainy, cold and even noisy(there is a constant hiss if listening on heaphones).
Any suggestions up to 150$ max?

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 34
I have both the 50 and 120 ohm cans. The 50's are great with my Cowon and a nice portable amp.

The 120's are the best headphones I have used with my PPX3-6SN7 amp.

Both have massive hours on them. They do not sound completely alike.

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 34
Interconnect problems - not with hd595. They come with a nice gold adapter.

Soundcard for 150 - emu 0404 is excellent for desktops, and I think its only 90 dollars. No veiling problems that people speak with hd595 when you use one of these.
http://www.midweststereo.com/catalog...t_Code=EMU0404
(I came to trust emu in this price range).

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 34
Even I'm considering getting one. But I have the AT A700's, and I am not all that convinced that it will be better. Which is why I havent fallen for it yet...
If you do get one, let us know what you think.

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Both have massive hours on them. They do not sound completely alike.

Spartan123: Well, what do you mean? Can you give some details?

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 34
I like my HD595's. They served me well until I got my k701's. I don't use the HD595's often anymore since my dad uses them alot, but I sometimes still use it to watch shows and stuff at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back