What a pity
Apr 13, 2008 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Claus-DK

1000+ Head-Fier
HI I just saw an older RS-1 for sale on ebay and was very impressed with the beautiful box they came in, back then......
And was just thinking that it was somehow saddning that headphones that costs big buck comes shipped in a pizzabox.......

Even my 50 $ Philips comes in a better and nicer box....

My Grado rs2 is my most expensive phones and they have the cheapest packing....

I would be more than happy to pay a little extra for a nice box/storageplace for my beloved phones....

Am I the only one thinking like that ???

This is in no way an attack on Grado, they were just the ones that started this thougth.......

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 17
The Pizza boxes are legendary. I still have mine with my MS-1's

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pizza boxes are legendary. I still have mine with my MS-1's

Yeah I hear you, but it is unworthy for a headphone that costs 1000$ (in Denmark) to come in a pizzabox

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 17
You already pay a VERY high premium for a grado headphone in the US, and I expect it is much worse in other countries.

Mr. Grado is racking in the $$$, and I'm sure he doesn't want to lower profit margins by using a better box.

I'll be honest with you, I keep my main headphones on a headphone stand. The box would only hold collectible value for me. I wouldn't use it from day to day. So I do not have a need for one.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, in the end, that's the product that matters, not the box. Think about the environment. Less packaging = less garbage/waste/pollution! :)

That is not true, the wodden box is a keeper and would never be thrown out, it is made of organic materials so no polution there, the Pizzabox will be thrown out it is with print so it will polute more...IMO

Apr 15, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 17
I would rather have the pizzabox then paying more for a wooden one or a leather box..I guess the producer will be passing over the cost of the "nicer box" to the consumer

After all, what matter the most is the headphone itself.

Speaking of that..actually i got a wooden Alessandro box from my local headphone shop FOC when i buy the ms2i

Apr 15, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 17
BTW, what box do the GS-1000s come in? Since they are huge, they won't fit in the pizzabox, would they?

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 17
Yes, they do, but only in MEGA one
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, what box do the GS-1000s come in? Since they are huge, they won't fit in the pizzabox, would they?

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they do, but only in MEGA one
biggrin.gif

Greaat success!

No but seriously, who said anything about lowering their profit? Imagine if they started selling headphone cases (like the nice black and silver stax case) as an optional accessory for say $200? I know I would be all over it!
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #11 of 17
Yeah, nice boxes would be great to have...

Or Better yet, It'd be nice if they included nice HEADPHONE STANDS!!!
it's practical and beautiful! It'd be great to have one to hang your favorite HP on when not using them

Apr 15, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #12 of 17
I feel your pain, but take comfort in the simple, economical pizza box.

On another audiophile forum, I recently saw a post from some poor fellow who came on to express his excitement (and post pictures) over the amazing packaging a replacement tube for his esoteric phono stage had arrived in. Someone quickly pointed out to him that t was clear by the unique shape of the glass, if you'll excuse the pun, that the tube itself was a re-badged $10 Electro-Harmonix. but it came in a padded, velvet-lined wood box large enough to hold his preamp, for $60 plus shipping. At the other end of the packaging continuum, I recently came across a very plain black-box product developed to remove the jitter from a $79 Apple Airport Express...at the price of an Apogee Big Ben studio clock (about $1300, street). When I said I thought some data might be called for, he offered me none, but told me he was selling all he could build. I believe him.

As I believe Paul Simon said, "a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...oooooo."

As I have said before and will, no doubt, say again, as I love to hear me say it
smily_headphones1.gif
-- The audiophile landscape is peppered with snake-oil wagons and kool aid stands. Keep one hand on your wallet.

Tim

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 17
Apr 15, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel your pain, but take comfort in the simple, economical pizza box.

On another audiophile forum, I recently saw a post from some poor fellow who came on to express his excitement (and post pictures) over the amazing packaging a replacement tube for his esoteric phono stage had arrived in. Someone quickly pointed out to him that t was clear by the unique shape of the glass, if you'll excuse the pun, that the tube itself was a re-badged $10 Electro-Harmonix. but it came in a padded, velvet-lined wood box large enough to hold his preamp, for $60 plus shipping. At the other end of the packaging continuum, I recently came across a very plain black-box product developed to remove the jitter from a $79 Apple Airport Express...at the price of an Apogee Big Ben studio clock (about $1300, street). When I said I thought some data might be called for, he offered me none, but told me he was selling all he could build. I believe him.

As I believe Paul Simon said, "a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...oooooo."

As I have said before and will, no doubt, say again, as I love to hear me say it
smily_headphones1.gif
-- The audiophile landscape is peppered with snake-oil wagons and kool aid stands. Keep one hand on your wallet.

Tim

That was here, on Head-Fi, and you've exaggerated a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back