What a difference a battery makes.....
May 3, 2002 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FlurkingShnit

100+ Head-Fier
A couple of days ago I finally received my plainview rechargeable 9V's from Thomas Distributing.

After waiting the 8+ hours for them to charge I popped one into my CHA 47 and listened.

WOW.
biggrin.gif
Practically everything about the sound improved. Bass was more accurate and tighter, freeing up much more detail in the midrange, so vocals sounded.......well......breathier (is that a word?) and more real.....which in turn seemed to free up more ambient detail so things in my music that I didn't know were there were leaping in front of face (or ears). It almost sounded as if I was listening to a totally different (as in better) amp. This made my new Blackalicious cd, Blazing Arrow, much more enjoyable. On a completely unrelated note, Carlo, if you ever read this I suggest you pick up that Blackalicious album. Very very good music. Think of it as another hip hop suggestion.

So I'd like to thank Audio&Me and all the other members who suggested using these batteries I didn't think upgrading power would do all this but I am now humbled.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 14
Lol, what were you using before? I assume ****ty value-brand alkalines? I'm guessing that the ones you were using before weren't providing sufficient voltage. This why NiMH is so awesome, they stay concistant and don't take a fall until the very end. The fact that you can use them over and over again is actually the main advantage, hehe, much cheaper than buying bulk alkalines.

May 3, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 14
I was actually using Duracell Ultra and regular duracell type 9V. Aside from that one problem battery I talked about in an earlier thread they were all functioning fine. I'm thinking that they don't actually put out a true 9 volts though.

May 3, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 14
I used an 8.4v NiMH before trying the Plainview, and there was a major difference with the Plainview. IMO this is THE battery to get for the RA-1...and now it sounds like someone is hearing the same thing I did using a CHA-47. Accept no substitutes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Note: in a discussion on Headwize, it came up that the Plainview may take three or four charge cycles to reach its full potential.

May 3, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I used an 8.4v NiMH before trying the Plainview, and there was a major difference with the Plainview. IMO this is THE battery to get for the RA-1...and now it sounds like someone is hearing the same thing I did using a CHA-47. Accept no substitutes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Note: in a discussion on Headwize, it came up that the Plainview may take three or four charge cycles to reach its full potential.

That 13% voltage increase is a pretty good kick.

May 4, 2002 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 14
Audio&Me: Actually, I think it's the lower inner resistance/impedance NiMH rechargables have compared to alkaline batteries, which makes the difference (should be most noticable with lower impedance headphones - like Grados or the K240S, for example...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

May 4, 2002 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 14
Well... wouldn't connecting a 15V (or more) PSU give the amps more power? (assuming the amps can take the extra voltage)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 4, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 14
Do you think these can be charged properly in a normal Everyready or Duracell charger?

Thanks.

May 5, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 14
I believe you can, but they won't fully charge them. You have to buy the proprietary charger to get the most out of them.

May 5, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Do you think these can be charged properly in a normal Everyready or Duracell charger?

Thanks.

You couldn't use a "smart charger". For a constant rate charger, you'd need a much longer charge time. I got the formula for computing charge time in an e-mail from Plainview : take the battery rating (170 mAh), multiply by 1.25 (allowance for slight overcharge) and divide by charger rating (25 ma for the Plainview charger) = 8.5 hr (note that this time would be less if there was still a charge on the battery).

So, you'd need the rating in ma for the charger you want to use, then simply plug it into the formula above. The Energex Tri-Charger at www.thomas-distributing.com can be used with the Plainviews, but is rated at 16ma. So charge time for a completely discharged Plainview 9v would be: (170*1.25)/16 = 13.3 hr. Find the rating for the charger you want, and simply plug the number into the formula.

May 5, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Well... wouldn't connecting a 15V (or more) PSU give the amps more power? (assuming the amps can take the extra voltage)

I'm sure that more technical types than me can address this better than I. However, if the power supply has a larger current capability than your component needs, it simply won't be used. If you start throwing different voltages at your component than it wants, you can fry it in a hurry. Most components have a tolerance for a range of voltages, but go far enough outside that range, and you'd better hope the fuses in your component work real well...
eek.gif

May 6, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by arrowmark
Does Plainview make AAA for the 4.5 Total Airhead?

The Plainviews are strictly 9v, but there are plenty of good AAA NiMH rechargeables at the Thomas Distributing site.

May 7, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Audio&Me: Actually, I think it's the lower inner resistance/impedance NiMH rechargables have compared to alkaline batteries, which makes the difference (should be most noticable with lower impedance headphones - like Grados or the K240S, for example...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I will drink to that! Nimh and Nicads and throw out some real current, unlike wimpy alkalines. When the electronics need current, they get it. With alkalines, well......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back