what 2 sell after receiving the hd800
Jun 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #76 of 86
What to sell after receiving the HD800?

Well, you could do what I've done and sell - send back, actually - the HD800.

I thought that I'd sell my HD600 and HD650 and probably the O2 system and get a nice amp for the HD800. I tried the 800 with three different amps, most recently the Luxman P-200, and just didn't enjoy it.

The main issue, for me, is listener fatigue. After two hours of the HD800, I'm through with music. My ears ring, I'm irritated both mentally and physically, and, at times, have a headache.

I've tried to explain it as sibilance issues, and perhaps a slightly hot treble. I don't know. I'm now beginning to think that all the detail that the HD800 throws up is simply exhausting, at least to me. It isn't musical and it isn't enjoyable, at least after a couple of hours. It's just tiring. All dynamic headphones are a bit tiring after stats. Perhaps the electrostats have ruined me.

Do you realize how hard it is to use your own ears and to resist the siren call of FOTM headphones? robm has nailed it, perfectly, 100%, up, down, and sideways.

Anyway, I wouldn't sell a thing to pay for the HD800, at least not for a long while. It will lead to severe regrets, or at least inconvenience and lost time and money.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #77 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought that I'd sell my HD600 and HD650 and probably the O2 system and get a nice amp for the HD800. I tried the 800 with three different amps, most recently the Luxman P-200, and just didn't enjoy it.

The main issue, for me, is listener fatigue. After two hours of the HD800, I'm through with music. My ears ring, I'm irritated both mentally and physically, and, at times, have a headache.

I've tried to explain it as sibilance issues, and perhaps a slightly hot treble. I don't know. I'm now beginning to think that all the detail that the HD800 throws up is simply exhausting, at least to me. It isn't musical and it isn't enjoyable, at least after a couple of hours. It's just tiring. All dynamic headphones are a bit tiring after stats. Perhaps the electrostats have ruined me.

Do you realize how hard it is to use your own ears and to resist the siren call of FOTM headphones? robm has nailed it, perfectly, 100%, up, down, and sideways.

Anyway, I wouldn't sell a thing to pay for the HD800, at least not for a long while. It will lead to severe regrets, or at least inconvenience and lost time and money.

although my experience with hd 800 was a bit different(no fatigue after 3 hours of listening,no sibilance issue as i expected to hear)I must say you are fair enough with what you say.You didn't like it,you sold it.
Not many people would do that.Usually,when somebody gives so much money,it's a bit difficult to accept that maybe the phone is not for him and tries to find other ways to make it sound "right",spending even more money and time,and at the end,may never find what he is looking for.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #78 of 86
This is the first time i hear a complaint about too much details...
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #79 of 86
Yes, the detail issue is perplexing.

When I sit near the front of an auditorium for a concert, I hear lots of individual instrumental and vocal "details" - individual instrumental lines, the vocalist breathing, and so on.

Mid-hall, I get far fewer. The hall or venue contributes its own "sound" back there, and details are lost or smeared, but, to me, the sound is more pleasing and "musical" and less "clinical" or, with an apology to the Jackson family, less like an autopsy of the musical event.

I think that complaining about "too many details" is my way of saying that the Sennheiser HD800 has adopted the "on stage with the performers" "hot sound" of Grados, etc., rather than the more laidback mid-hall sound of the HD6xx.

And all I'm saying is that I prefer mid-hall over up-front or on-stage.

And yes, please allow me - and others - to complain about being on stage when I want to buy a ticket and be a passive spectator and listener rather than a non-paid performer or, god forbid, a recording technician or other paid voyeur of someone else's genuine creativity!

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #80 of 86
Quote:

Yes, the detail issue is perplexing.

When I sit near the front of an auditorium for a concert, I hear lots of individual instrumental and vocal "details" - individual instrumental lines, the vocalist breathing, and so on.

Mid-hall, I get far fewer. The hall or venue contributes its own "sound" back there, and details are lost or smeared, but, to me, the sound is more pleasing and "musical" and less "clinical" or, with an apology to the Jackson family, less like an autopsy of the musical event.

Well, this is an interesting "take". Please understand, I am not questioning YOUR experience. But I have, over the years, sat about every place you can in a concert hall, from the back to the balcony to, literally, front row center. I have never heard live music as clinical, unmusical or autopsical (?) ANYWHERE in a concert hall. Recently, I heard the NY Philharmonic play Mahler 9 from front row slightly left of center. The beauty, color and emotion came through for sure. After, I had to have a drink to calm down...

Quote:

I think that complaining about "too many details" is my way of saying that the Sennheiser HD800 has adopted the "on stage with the performers" "hot sound" of Grados, etc., rather than the more laidback mid-hall sound of the HD6xx.

And all I'm saying is that I prefer mid-hall over up-front or on-stage.

I personally would characterize HD-800 as front third hall phones and HD-6XX as rear third, but I catch your meaning. Obviously, the HD-800 is not for you!

Quote:

And yes, please allow me - and others - to complain about being on stage when I want to buy a ticket and be a passive spectator and listener rather than a non-paid performer or, god forbid, a recording technician or other paid voyeur of someone else's genuine creativity!

Here I will discreetly point out that, without recording technicians, the Head-fi site and headphones themselves would be unnecessary...
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #81 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD2000s are a very underrated headphone around here. If you ever get a chance, listen to Ironbutts reel to reel system. He uses AD2000s. As for the 800s, I've heard them. They are a major step above other Senns, but I'll wait until the hype dies down to give them a serious consideration. If they were under $1k, I'd be more interested. Your talking top tier Stax money here.

I've heard it.
wink.gif

The AD2000s seem to be really big in the SF Bay for whatever reason; almost everyone I know here owns or has owned one. They're the most versatile dynamics under $1k imo, with no obvious flaws. Eddie Current amp + AD2000 is about as perfect a match as there is in this hobby.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #82 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PMPWLOL*...

...Frustration...no. I might have missed it robm321 and I'm not going to be checking your 5000 plus posts but have you heard the hd800s? I do understand that you may have a problem with Sennheisers, perhaps. Or maybe you simply like following statistics(I'm referring to you patternizing head-fiers interest with new headphone technologies). Then again, maybe you get a thrill out of pushing buttons or identifying frustration where it does not exist.

All that aside, I'm all ears(though they are dedicated to the hd800s at this moment) and tell me how the hd800s are no good like I'm a 3 year old, please.

Other than that, I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to make it personal(I'm referring to your cheap attempt at psychoanalysis).

In the undying and greatly missed words of Paul Harvey.......Good Day.

*Pissin' My Pants Whilst Laughing Out Loud
popcorn.gif

Good day
smile.gif

Quote:

Sorry they didn't work out for you, but I'm sure your wallet is happy. The O2s are a tough act to follow for sure.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #83 of 86
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that the HD800 didn't work out for you. My apologies if I seem to be second guessing your decision, but I'm just wondering if a different setup might not have produced different results. However, I understand that you may be looking for cans that will synergize with your setup so this question could be moot.

I started off pairing the HD800 with the HeadRoom Desktop Ultra and got immediate synergy. Absolutely no fatigue after many, many hours. And I continued with this setup for days until I was finally able to tear myself away to test other combos. I tried it with the Grace m902, and I got the results that you (and others, to an extent) describe: emphatic highs and fatigue after a half hour or so.

Now I'm wondering if, maybe, highly analytical cans don't do so well with highly analytical amps. My other amps are darker (in comparison to the m902) and go well with the HD800.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #84 of 86
Quote:

1st paragraph:
What can I say, they are not for you and you admit you don't know why other than an overload of information and the fact that electrostats do it for you, I respect that.

2nd paragraph:
Disagree on the "resist the siren call" FOTM headphone comment and, while respecting your opinion, won't use another members to support my thoughts because I can distinguish what I like.

3rd paragraph:
Perhaps you will, in time....you will regret selling the hd800 and re-buy as this seems to be common practice on head-fi.

beerchug.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #85 of 86
Quote:

It's not hard for me at all. I guess if I cared how others view my opinions on what I hear then maybe it would be hard. I have criticized the HD800's faults multiple times, and it has never been an issue for me. No headphone will be for everyone and no headphone will ever be without fault.
smily_headphones1.gif

There are far too many people who are emotionally involved with the release of this headphone. If you don't like it, no big deal, but that doesn't mean that they aren't as good as everyone says they are. There is no reason to fret over not enjoying them as much as others. They simply aren't for you. And it works both ways, if you like or love them fine, but that doesn't mean that someone who doesn't like them is out of his or her mind or doesn't have valid opinions.

I don't get how it's so hard to keep emotion from being such a large factor in this hobby and on this site.
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #86 of 86
Because music is all about emotion.

As is money and time............
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back