What’s your favorite 2ch speaker pair currently?
Feb 12, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #46 of 104
It doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg to feed them quality power. But yes, upgrading from your AV receiver is kind of a must to do justice to these great speakers.
IMG_1264.JPG

I actually ended up with an audiolab 6000a Play and it's totally badass for a roughly $1000 amp. Oh I also rearranged my room to put my speakers on the long wall and get them 11 feet apart, center to center. Fantastic decision.

I used these Cornwall IVs for about 7 months with no subs and enjoyed the hell out of them. But then I hooked up my cheap home theater subs and got them dialed in. Crossed over at 40hz and still running speakers full-range, as one should IMO. The subs pickup just where the Cornwalls fall off in my room, on some tracks they don't even do anything, and on the tracks that do get them going they don't draw any attention to themselves. Fantastic integration.

At the moment I'm planning on getting a pair of REL T9/x this summer. I'll run them from their high-level inputs, right off the Cornwall speaker taps. One sub for each Cornwall. It will be glorious. I barely listen to headphones anymore unless I'm at work.

Feb 12, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #47 of 104
I think my room is smaller than yours hence the need for sub question. Rels are quite nice, musical subs. If you can seamlessly integrate subs with your Corns than great. I always got a mixed results with sub(s). Loved it at first and then minute issues became more apparent. Perhaps it’s just me…..
But if it works and sounds great for you then Kudos for making it work.
They will give you(us) many years of musical bliss.

Feb 12, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #48 of 104
IMG_1264.JPG
I actually ended up with an audiolab 6000a Play and it's totally badass for a roughly $1000 amp. Oh I also rearranged my room to put my speakers on the long wall and get them 11 feet apart, center to center. Fantastic decision.

I used these Cornwall IVs for about 7 months with no subs and enjoyed the hell out of them. But then I hooked up my cheap home theater subs and got them dialed in. Crossed over at 40hz and still running speakers full-range, as one should IMO. The subs pickup just where the Cornwalls fall off in my room, on some tracks they don't even do anything, and on the tracks that do get them going they don't draw any attention to themselves. Fantastic integration.

At the moment I'm planning on getting a pair of REL T9/x this summer. I'll run them from their high-level inputs, right off the Cornwall speaker taps. One sub for each Cornwall. It will be glorious. I barely listen to headphones anymore unless I'm at work.
Good looking Corns, cane grills? A buddy gave me a pair old designer Corn cabs but I’ ve not built them up yet. Seems at the rate I’m going they’ll be a retirement project:rolling_eyes:

Feb 12, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #49 of 104
I think my room is smaller than yours hence the need for sub question. Rels are quite nice, musical subs. If you can seamlessly integrate subs with your Corns than great. I always got a mixed results with sub(s). Loved it at first and then minute issues became more apparent. Perhaps it’s just me…..
But if it works and sounds great for you then Kudos for making it work.
They will give you(us) many years of musical bliss.
It's not easy to integrate subs properly. I used measurements with full bandwidth pink noise to dial these in.

Corn IVs have fast, detailed and textured bass on their own but they don't dig very deep and lack impact down low. Even these cheap but well integrated subs gave them some much needed low-end grunt and impact, especially on modern pop and rock music.
Good looking Corns, cane grills? A buddy gave me a pair old designer Corn cabs but I’ ve not built them up yet. Seems at the rate I’m going they’ll be a retirement project:rolling_eyes:
Thanks brother. That's just the stock grills that come with the walnut finish CWIV. I actually run them grills off most of the time. Gives a crisper sound up top, at least in my head.

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #50 of 104
It's not easy to integrate subs properly. I used measurements with full bandwidth pink noise to dial these in.

Corn IVs have fast, detailed and textured bass on their own but they don't dig very deep and lack impact down low. Even these cheap but well integrated subs gave them some much needed low-end grunt and impact, especially on modern pop and rock music.
I don't have room for two subs, so that option is out of question.
Two, those subs would have to be exceptional.
If I ever went in that direction, given that space wouldn't be an issue, I would first explore Rel line of subs or go DIY route with Fostex mega drivers.
Those Fostex woofers are enormously huge and expensive tho. So, I would probably look for a barn size listening room. Not happening! lol

Apr 27, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #51 of 104
I had a listening room built for my Lawrence Audio Violin SE…..added a sub as well.
CF0D35F8-58F5-4BBC-BF35-147DF0DE16B9.jpeg
EDEC1B09-CF92-4642-B9C1-E24D90508862.jpeg
48D429BC-905C-4F83-9D86-5D39F3D45258.jpeg

May 12, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #53 of 104
I splurged on a pair of Genelec 8341 "The Ones" a few months ago and am very impressed with them. The GLM calibration worked great and they sound excellent, totally recommended. Planning on adding a sub and making a surround setup out of them at some point, if my wallet ever recovers enough, though they sound fantastic as a 2 channel setup already. My place is a mess right now so no pics for now haha. Some spectacular listening rooms some of you guys have.. enjoy!

May 13, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #54 of 104
I don't have room for two subs, so that option is out of question.
Two, those subs would have to be exceptional.
How can you not have room for two subs? Like dude, get rid of your dining table and coffee table. Why do you think subs have flat top cabinets? :D

I have room (barely) but what I don't have is neighbors who would not evict me if I ran even one sub :frowning2:

May 13, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #55 of 104
How can you not have room for two subs? Like dude, get rid of your dining table and coffee table. Why do you think subs have flat top cabinets? :D

I have room (barely) but what I don't have is neighbors who would not evict me if I ran even one sub :frowning2:
Don't have free corners. And no HT setup. Sub 30Hz for music I listen to is just fine. However, if I decided to swap to my Martin Logans or Zus, then yeah. Martin Logans are tricky to match with any sub bc of their speed. Maybe open baffle subs would work? But, I am not looking forward to test that theory. Anyway, subs are like Corvettes. Artificial testosterone.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #57 of 104
Warning:

don't get sucked into the KEF LS50 Wirless bull. Not worth it at all. Overpriced.

I still use JBL LSR305 even after demoing the overpriced LS50 wireless.
had a salesman really push me on a pair of those. it git really annoying. Did not like, and the £££!!!!!!!

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #58 of 104
Always trust your ears.

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #59 of 104
Quad ESL. I took that pick off the net but own some plus others. Linear to 45hz so yes if you want lower, not more. Smallish room speaker. Fussy about setup, small window and rather near field to get the best result but if that's in your wheelhouse there still isn't better. Did I mention that they're real easy to blow up. Came out in 1957. You know, when they were selling speakers one at a time.
My father had these from '65 to '72. Not only one person speaker, but one exact location to hear them right. 14x11x8 is about a big a room they can handle. Don't play loud, but to this day they pass a square wave better than anything. In my time owned a lot of panel/ribbon speakers. They all played louder, but better?

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #60 of 104
Best speaker I ever owned.

Verity Parsifal Encore Ovation

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220907-191154~3.png
    Screenshot_20220907-191154~3.png
    772.8 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back