Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones?
May 26, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #46 of 52
I do have the original female 1/4" jack socket to a pair of din plugs which came in the space age transparent case so... I could start again with the 1/4"socket and wire (I think you meant) banana plugs on and drive them off my Ion Obelisk, see what happens :)

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #48 of 52
Small update. I removed the din plugs from the adapter and connected decent banana plugs for strapping to my Ion Obelisk. I think I'm now hearing what the age of the amp is producing (probably caps). However the Wharfedales still sound amazing and the right channel driver burst in to life the moment it was fed with a few actual watts rather than standard amplifier headphone socket levels. Now to fix the broken earpiece to headband coupling :scream:

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #50 of 52
My Isos were unearthed when I moved recently.

It turns out I used a convenient Radio Shack speaker coupler, as you can see in the accompanying photos.

I plugged the provided 1/4" jack into my Schiit Magni 3 (don't remember there being a DIN plug) and they sounded great, just not very loud. With the volume control maxed out they could only go loud, not very loud or too loud.* I'll have to dig out an old amp of some kind to hook them into. If I had the $$ I'd buy a Schiit Aegir for them.

The sticker on the bottom of the case gives an approximate impedance of 120Ω and max input of 25v RMS. They also amusingly list the sensitivity as 30mW for 95dB spl. Listening Mac iTunes → Schiit Modi Multibit → Schiit Loki → Schiit Magni 3, the nominal output should be ~650mW into 120 ohms, and that's not enough. The Schiit Ragnarock, on the other hand, would probably drive them just fine at ~6W into 120Ω.

They still sound great. And that's not "great for their age", that's straight up great. With a touch of tweaking from the Loki I really enjoy these. As is common with open backs, they have a slightly more expansive soundstage than, say, my Beyerdynamic DT770s, but it's still all in your head. They're a little rolled off in the bottom end, but I suspect that might be due to the Magni's lack of power.

The plastic is yellowed from age, the ear pads are delaminating a little, but you don't notice any of that when they're on your head.

I'm glad I didn't get rid of these.

*These volumes are subjective, of course. Loud is loud enough for the 'phones to wake up and to listen to comfortably, but there's no margin for turning it up during quiet passages or to drown out external noises (they are open back, after all). Very loud is loud enough for rocking out in short bursts but not extended listening, and too loud is volume beyond comfort or safety. I do have a bit of hearing loss, about average for my seniority.

wharfdale-isodynamics-in-case.jpg

wharfdale-isodynamics-coupler.jpg

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #51 of 52
Like mine, your set of earpads look like they've gone through the process of shedding whatever that coating was. The Wharfedale Isodynamics came supplied with (certainly in the UK) a female 1/4" jack with a short stereo lead terminating in plastic 2 pin din plugs, no intervening electronics. I wonder what the Realistic coupler has within it? It's probably just a female jack inside that can. Whatever, I think anyone discussing the benefits of driving these directly from speaker outlets should keep in mind that the relationship between output and input impedance with headphones can get quite complicated and results unpredictable, even before you start strapping them on to the end of a full size amp. I say let your ears decide :beyersmile:

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #52 of 52
I run mine-currently (not a pun!) from speaker o/p on a Peachtree iDecco.

( You usually only need one 'neg plug as its common)
You're right on the quality. A box swapper friend rates them higher than Audez'e!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back