Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones?
Oct 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #31 of 52
The complexity comes in the fine tuning to your own ear and thus it would be better if you did this yourself. These cups are no longer available but you could modify them into any deep wood cup. Sachu had a smeggy style TP deep cup and they sounded very good too..dB

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #34 of 52
GaryButcherakaSmeggywithhisWharfeda.jpg

Now if that isn't the image of satisfaction, I don't know what is.

OMG this takes me back!

I loved my Wharfedale IsoDynamics. Lost them in my divorce. They weren't in the box of junk I was allowed to take with me!

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #35 of 52
I used to drive my Wharfdale's with a Quad 405 - that combo had great drive, volume and rhythm. It's still one of the best sounding I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

But the Orthodynamics didn't play well with weak amplification. The headphone outputs of your normal preamp or receiver just couldn't drive them satisfactorily, and I got tired of unhooking my speakers to run my headphones.

I don't know how they sound with modern boutique high output (6W!) dedicated headphone amps, but if you've got a spare 40W+ good sounding power amp gathering dust while you play with new toys, hook 'em up! You'll be pleased with the results... and it's a perfect excuse to play with passive volume controls.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #36 of 52
Valiant is right. Using the speaker outlets of a normal amp is best for Wharfedales. The specs recommend an amp up to 50 watts!
I use a Hafler DH200 (using a Matrix head amp as Pre). It sounded great via my Pass F3 when I tried briefly the other day. 
You have to make up a lead to fit widely spaced outlets though!

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #37 of 52
All you owners out there, listen to some good high def tracks and let us know how the old Wharfies stand up to modern competition. I fear they would do well. In the old days they had reference to natural sounding instruments.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #38 of 52
I had my Wharfedales stored away for years (Familiarity....etc., plus I rarely had use for phones in 80s/90s) and had had a set of Senn 480s for Walkman use etc. Got seduced by the lovely wood on A-T WTH 1000s, as I had a Leben 600 with headphone output,plus a Glow One for bedtime, and was happy. But then, one day I tried out the old Wharfedales again and was immediately impressed by the 'reality' of the sound. Imagery was defined and clear. It sounded akin to my Full range speakers (Ocellias).
The AT's were sold on. Am still happy with the Wharfedales. I did have a brief listen to Audez'e recently, but in imperfect conditions,(poor amp) but didn't hear much to give me pause for thought. And the Audez'e owner was sufficiently impressed with the low volume he heard from my phones to be intrigued!
But am very careful with the Wharfedales now! Don't want to break them. Plastic fatigue?
Foolishly I had a spare pair but sold them!!!

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #40 of 52
I just resurrected my Wharfedale...using it with the Lambert Play-It-By Ear amp, which had way too much gain for the low impedance headphones, but provide more than adequate volume level at 10-11 o'clock. Heretofore I could not get any sort of volume level with other amps so I'm actually hearing what they can do for the first time. And they sound wonderful.

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #41 of 52
I've converted quite a few sceptics over the past few years!
Guy at a show; my friend said it was the first time he'd actually seen a jaw drop !! in surprise at the sound, for example.
I currently run mine from an iDecco amp's speaker outlet, (as the headphone o/p not enough.)
They are "better than current Planars" says a box swapper mate, who has tried dozens of things!
Great things; got new leather pads made and am keeping a spare set.

Attachments

• IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #42 of 52
They didn't sound as good today. I'm noticing that the upper bass is awol and the bass balance between channels is off. I may need something more dedicated to drive them properly but I need something headphone-amp size.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #43 of 52
I bought a headphone plug/extension lead, cut off one end and soldered on speaker plugs. Connect to speaker o/put on amp.
BUT, as the 'phones ARE45+ years old...they can delaminate I believe, though both mine seem fine. Good luck.

May 26, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #44 of 52
I have a pair of Wharfedale Isodynamics and like many of you, have owned them from the 1970's! Usual deteriation of materials but in addition one driver has been reluctant to 'wake up' until its been fed with high power for a while. Anyone else had this problem and more crucially know how to fix it?

May 26, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #45 of 52
Well, if they eventually work....that's odd. As I've posted before, they like a few watts. A box-swapper friend rates them higher than most current planars, but, age related decay makes flaws inevitable. It's why I got a spare set.
Buy a 5 metre headphone socketed lead, cut; wire up phonos (you CAN solder?) and run from speaker outlet; or, some older receivers have some watts at phone outlet.
The ear muffs will of course, have decayed; if you rub the gunk off, the fabric beneath is tolerable. Unless you know a friendly leather worker.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back