Wet Shaving
Apr 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #182 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On that point, I prefer the 'natural' look though.

I'm sure we all thank you for sharing that
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #183 of 277
I have been we shaving for close to two year.
Took a while (a couple of months) to master the technique, but from that time its been really smooth. Love it!
biggrin.gif

My daily shaving "rig":
83847281.jpg

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #184 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wanting to try one of those mekur DE razors, would be my first real quality razor. But I usually get lazy about shaving... and wait til it's a bit longer to buzz it down with an electric, and follow up with a mach3 (not that good I know. but I do like it better than the 4 / 5 blade ones).

I read that it was recommended to follow up the against the grain pass with one along the grain, to help prevent ingrown hairs. Anyone with experience on this?

To help prevent ingrown hairs, a good moisturizer must be applied on the skin. We should also be aware that not all shaving creams are meant to be used by all men. We are unique and so is our skin type. One must choose wisely on what to put on his face. Taylor of Bond Street has created different aftershaves and shaving creams for men who have sensitive skin.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #185 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that it was recommended to follow up the against the grain pass with one along the grain, to help prevent ingrown hairs. Anyone with experience on this?

I usually perform a 2-pass shave with the grain, but very rarely a pass against the grain.
Two years into wet shaving I can not remember ever had a single ingrown hair.

As 'fendrihan' say, use a moisturizer after shaving. That seems to take care of it, at least for me.
Happy shaving!
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #186 of 277
My routine usually involves the first pass with the grain then a second across the grain. If a third is needed, I usually go against the grain but never around the upper lip area. This causes to much irritation and razor burn. And I always use a moisturizer after each shave.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #187 of 277
Ooh goody, a wet-shave thread!

Sign me up. I use Merkur Vision & Futur, with Derby, Feather & Merkur blades (like the Derby's a lot). Just snagged some Pecksniff's shave cream (Leather and Fern) at a giveaway price, but still have a goodly amount left of the Body Shop Maca Root cream (quite nice) so haven't used them yet. The Futur sits on its Merkur stand with matching silvertip brush. Still have to get a stand for the Vision...

I go WTG, then ATG. Works fine. Finished with a nice moisturiser (Pecksniffs currently, but L'Oreal has been known).

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #188 of 277
When I started shaving a year ago, I decided to start of DE, because I'm a sucker for tradition
tongue.gif
. I use the Merkur Futur with Burt's Bees shaving cream and aftershave. I notice that some people mention using moisturizers after they shave. Do they make moisturizer/aftershave combos? Or should I just use a moisturizer instead?

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #189 of 277
Moisturiser or after-shave balm (not aftershave as in alcohol -based perfume) ....pretty much the same thing, non? I use either -seem identical apart from the balm I use is slightly thicker...

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #190 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My routine usually involves the first pass with the grain then a second across the grain. If a third is needed, I usually go against the grain but never around the upper lip area. This causes to much irritation and razor burn. And I always use a moisturizer after each shave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually perform a 2-pass shave with the grain, but very rarely a pass against the grain.
Two years into wet shaving I can not remember ever had a single ingrown hair.

As 'fendrihan' say, use a moisturizer after shaving. That seems to take care of it, at least for me.
Happy shaving!
biggrin.gif

I do my first pass WTG, then a pass ATG, then touch-up. Occassionaly, I'll have to do 2 ATG passes if I've let my beard grow for awhile (like a week or more). I don't get a lot of ingrown hairs unless I'm mistaking them for zits/pimples
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I started shaving a year ago, I decided to start of DE, because I'm a sucker for tradition
tongue.gif
. I use the Merkur Futur with Burt's Bees shaving cream and aftershave. I notice that some people mention using moisturizers after they shave. Do they make moisturizer/aftershave combos? Or should I just use a moisturizer instead?

I use a product by Nivea. It's an after shave balm. You don't need two different products. If it's a lotion or cream type of aftershave, it will probably have moisturizers in it. If it's a liquid, it's probably alcohol based (think Lectric Shave). Some folks like the alcohol, I don't.

Before I use the after shave though, I do use some witch hazel immediately after shaving. I rinse off the last of the shaving cream then splash a little on my face and rub it all over. I use a generic brand of witch hazel, but there are some nicer brands. I will probably get one of the nicer ones next time I see them. The generic works fine, but witch hazel doesn't have the most pleasant odor (to me at least) and the "brand name" witch hazels add things to make it smell better
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #191 of 277
The purpose of witchazel is....? Closing pores etc I'm guessing?

Tried the Pecksniff shave cream -not a patch on the Maca root. Lather just doesn't seem as thick - more like shave soap - maybe I need to work it up more.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #192 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The purpose of witchazel is....? Closing pores etc I'm guessing?

Tried the Pecksniff shave cream -not a patch on the Maca root. Lather just doesn't seem as thick - more like shave soap - maybe I need to work it up more.

In my experience (started in '81) the notion that you need a rich, thick cream is contrary to the purpose. The best stuff I find is thick cream but applies thinly--you don't need very much. I wash my face to initially lubricate the skin, and then I apply a reasonably small amount of good quality cream to the beard with my fingertips, using the nails to scrub the cream down past the hairs and directly onto the skin. I think that bristle brushes are luxuriant and traditional but also wasteful and one more damn thing to clean.

'Best creams I've tried were Caswell-Massey 1752 and Crabtree & Evelyn. Origins makes an AS balm called Fire Fighter that actually does something more than making your skin smell nice: it reduces inflammation and cools razor burns. Highly recommended.

I've used Merkurs and classic Gillette safety razors but the positively best, most controlled shave I get is from the Gillette butterfly that I bought from Eckerds Drugs in Mobile, AL in '81.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #193 of 277
I picked up wet shaving a few years ago and have never looked back. I'm currently waiting on a Gillette slim adjustable razor to replace the first de razor I ever bought--my Merkur classic.

My personal favorites are TOBS Avocado Shave Cream, Savile Row 22mm brush, and my Swarzweisskeramik skuttle pictured below.

3750545477_ac81200bb8.jpg

3751342278_bbc39be504.jpg

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #195 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you get that wonderful scuttle? I just use an oversized coffee mug.

Directly from the vendor I guess (Google it).
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.., and my Swarzweisskeramik skuttle pictured below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back