Westone W80
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #1,277 of 1,446
You aren't the first person to tell us that... ES Tuning in a universal shell would certainly be extremely difficult to engineer for a number of reasons. That would be something that would take months, if not a year to do and Westone Audio probably wouldn't have time to launch new releases. Wait, it has been sometime since WA has had a new release... Interesting...

Just noticed MoT change to "Lucid Audio" and a new WA/ETY avatar, now it is official! And yes, you guys are overdue :D Can't wait what is next!!!

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #1,279 of 1,446
I'm really impressed with autoeq settings for W80.
Massive improvement, the veil is gone, and my W80 sound like a higher end, better tuned iems now.
I think i may just keep them after all :dt880smile:
I may try this what is "peaking" I can't see an option for that in UAPP?

Edit: So I got this working on my PC using Equalizer APO and "Convolution" mode. My first impression I think I prefer the W80 without this EQ, but its possible I haven't set it up right.

Edit2: Using the Parametric settings and Equalizer APO works too and sounds very similar to convolution mode. I'm going to give it a few hours listening and make a better informed decision afterwards.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #1,281 of 1,446
it's a type of the filter, there is usually a peak (bell-shaped), a shelf and a pass filter, or some variations.
Thank you, going a bit off topic but did you try the EQ with your Tia Fourte you are selling?

I really don't like the EQ with the W80 or SE846 but my KSE1200, I think I do like the EQ, Beth Hart's War In My Mind sounds really good, the cymbals seems very much more "cymbally" and my ears approve :).

I'm not 100% convinced yet, re EQ but who knows, it may grow on me at least with the KSE1200.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #1,282 of 1,446
Thank you, going a bit off topic but did you try the EQ with your Tia Fourte you are selling?

I really don't like the EQ with the W80 or SE846 but my KSE1200, I think I do like the EQ, Beth Hart's War In My Mind sounds really good, the cymbals seems very much more "cymbally" and my ears approve :).

I'm not 100% convinced yet, re EQ but who knows, it may grow on me at least with the KSE1200.
You could try to change some settings you know, with W80 i don't reduce the subbass for example, and my changes are less extreme, max adjustment is 3-3.5 dB, not 6.5
And of course it could be that you like the tonality already, or just not a fan of harman tuning.

Fourte - yeah, it can be improved with EQ for sure, of course some would argue that it's already TOTL and messing with EQ will only make it worse :)
But for me the fit issue remains, 64Audio universals just don't work with my ears.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #1,284 of 1,446
I'm enjoying my W80's even more after increasing by 1db at 8k and 16k. I've also added 1db from 62hz. Tried lots of different adjustments but found they don't need much tweaking just mainly a little boost at the top. Quite happy using these even though I also have the new Andro's, and really appreciate the fit after using other makes.

I had quiet a few discussions with my readers about comfort of the fit between Westone and other IEMs. Of course, ear anatomy will vary from person to person, but tbh I haven't come across another premium IEM where I can put my head down comfortably on the pillow with IEMs in my ears. The ergonomics of these bean shaped shells is bar none, one of the reason I also hear from musicians who get either W-series or UM Pro series instead of CIEMs.

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,287 of 1,446
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #1,288 of 1,446
we80lite_5.jpg

Yeah, the same W80 only with the new "silver HD" cable.
Sounds pretty lame for a new release :)

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,289 of 1,446
we80lite_5.jpg

Yeah, the same W80 only with the new "silver HD" cable.
Sounds pretty lame for a new release :)
Agreed. Westone should have instead included one of these:

https://westoneaudio.com/product/ultra-thin-balanced-52-inch-cable/

And then thrown in a 3.5mm single-ended adapter. That would have been a better package, since there should have been a balanced option included anyway. Plus, that ALO cable might look nice, but it handles like ass and is microphonic as hell. But I do like the BT cable a lot...

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,290 of 1,446
Proud owner of Westone 3 (2008) and W80 since 2018 I like them!

They are small and Comfortably fit in my ear; I can wear them for hours with nice “fitting” ear tips.

Pre-Covid-19 I travelled the world and visited as many headphone shops as possible, and demoed as many IEMs as possible. Most of the audiophile IEMs have a sound nozzle that is too large in diameter to fit comfortably in my ear canals, and feel like they are going to fall out :frowning2:

I repeated demoing IEMs at RMAF multiple times and headphone shops in the USA. I purchased and sold many Japanese branded IEMs and Chi-Fi ones too, mostly because they were too big and/or uncomfortable. I wear medium sized ear tips mostly, for reference.

Both the W3 and W80 IEMs need good clean power and music to shine. When I first purchased the W3, I was disappointed in how they sounded through my classic iPod and I shelved them for 6 years, until I purchased a Sony Walkman hi-res DAP and wow, did they sound fantastic. I eventually purchased the Sony WM1A and the Benchmark DAC3 HGC which allow me to enjoy both IEMs and most headphones at moderate listening levels.

Whenever I can get the “ear” of an IEM engineer, I remind them that 50% of the population will wear medium and smaller ear tips, and if their sound nozzle (without an ear tip) is too large for my ear canals, there’s no way it will ever be comfortable for 50% of the population.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back