Westone W80
Mar 5, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,202 of 1,446
Is there a big difference in v1 and V2?

v1 vs v2 of W80? Identical sound, like a carbon copy. It's the same driver config and tuning.

... replied without looking at the previous reply :)

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #1,203 of 1,446
Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions from anyone having enjoyed W80s using alternative cables.

I have recently purchased and am waiting for delivery of lightly used v1 W80, but it will not come with the ALO ref cable. This gives an opportunity to either purchase separately the same ALO cable, or perhaps an alternative cable that may pair well with the W80. I currently have a Westone cable that came with my V2 UMPro50 (and also a BT V2 cable). I've read both good and not-so-good reviews of the W80 included ALO cable, so I thought to ask and learn from your experience.

In this situation, would you run out and replace/purchase the ALO cable (https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/reference-8-iem/... or perhaps second hand somewhere), or perhaps go with some different cable that you may recommend. I honestly have no frame of reference (i.e. haven't heard the W80s and haven't heard to ALO cable). Some of you have listened hours to W80, and perhaps with different cables and having some personal insight.

For instance, I found the following cable product (received good reviews), and it "may" actually be better than the ALO, at less cost.
-- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000158772005.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.1.522a6953KXJKbW

My everyday set-up is Samsung Note 10+, PowerAmp playing Flac files, with Dragonfly Cobalt. (no, I haven't dived into dedicated music players yet : /
Would like deep and punchy bass profile, a wide sound stage, and bright (not harsh) excellence -- a cable pairing well with the W80.
Any thoughts or cable suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Ref8 is a great cable in terms of pair up synergy with W80, but the ergonomics of this cable is... stiff and microphonic, unfortunately. I recently did a quick comparison of EA Vogue series (Cu, SPC, and CU/Ag cables) vs Epic cable with W80 and UMPro50, full coverage here. This can give you some idea of what to expect when pairing copper, silver plated copper, and copper/silver hybrid cables with W80 in comparison to stock Epic cable. As an example, Vogue series is very soft, flexible, comfortable. Keep in mind, I only have 2pin versions of those cables, so was using mmcx to 2pin adapter. When you order, you can choose mmcx connector cables. And of course, you don't have to go with those exact cables, but hopefully find my write up as a useful reference.

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #1,205 of 1,446
Ref8 is a great cable in terms of pair up synergy with W80, but the ergonomics of this cable is... stiff and microphonic, unfortunately. I recently did a quick comparison of EA Vogue series (Cu, SPC, and CU/Ag cables) vs Epic cable with W80 and UMPro50, full coverage here. This can give you some idea of what to expect when pairing copper, silver plated copper, and copper/silver hybrid cables with W80 in comparison to stock Epic cable. As an example, Vogue series is very soft, flexible, comfortable. Keep in mind, I only have 2pin versions of those cables, so was using mmcx to 2pin adapter. When you order, you can choose mmcx connector cables. And of course, you don't have to go with those exact cables, but hopefully find my write up as a useful reference.
twister6, thank you, your write-up helped evaluating cable composition specific to the W80s. I think I'll skip the Ref8 and move to something else. Currently thinking about hybrid copper + silver cable (maintain bass and brightness)... unclear 4 core vs 8 core (no experience to base if/why the higher would make a real difference). Research may take a bit : /

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #1,206 of 1,446
Did someone has experienced very (very) good portable DAC/Amp or DAP synergy with the W80?

I tried several combinations and found a wonderful pairing with the Woo WA8 (it sounds open, airy, rich and detailed), but the WA8 is more a transportable than a portable option (and only have about 4 hours of battery life). Honestly, it’s one of the best matchup I’ve ever heard from all the gear I’ve tried so far.

I did some tries with some DAPs like iBasso DX220 with Amp1 mk2, but I find it a bit too veiled and bloomy in the low-mids (especially with male voices). With Amp9, it sounds rich, but way too much congested (and the hiss is horrible).

The A&K SR15 sounds a bit better to my ears with the W80, but again, not the way that my WA8 can bring it to openness, clarity and richness together. Same thing with my tiny Shanling M0, good but not very exciting… Maybe I’m too demanding from a portable standpoint??

I’m wondering if someone tried the W80 with the iFi micro BL? If it's sounding great with the W80, this could be a good option for me since it have more than enough power to drive my other hungry full-sized cans…

Thanks for your recommendations.

Hello, just sharing maybe you're interested.
If you're using the ifi idsd micro bl as DAC and Amp you may try this settings if you're interested. This will make it a lot better.

Using fiio X7 as transport only.

DAC/AMP ifi micro BL
Power mode = eco
Polarity = negative
Filter = minimum phase
iEmatch = off
XBass = off
3D+ = on

W80 with Modded tip/nozzle sleeve and Spinfit CP145.

Cable: 4 core single crystal silver plated copper.

Screenshot_20200608-141815_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,207 of 1,446
If you're using the ifi idsd micro bl as DAC and Amp you may try this settings if you're interested. This will make it a lot better.

DAC/AMP ifi micro BL
Power mode = eco
Polarity = negative
Filter = minimum phase
iEmatch = off
XBass = off
3D+ = on

You no longer need to mod your spinfits to fit 2mm nozzle Westone iems :wink:

Spinfit released CP800 tips, with 2mm inner core diameter, in 3 sizes (S/M/L)

1591631471846.png

Jun 8, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #1,209 of 1,446
You no longer need to mod your spinfits to fit 2mm nozzle Westone iems :wink:

Spinfit released CP800 tips, with 2mm inner core diameter, in 3 sizes (S/M/L)

Thanks twister6. Had some mod to it as i have 3 unused cp145 around. Haven't tried the cp800 yet. I intentionally got a cp145 so i can use it for my wide bore and narrow bore IEMs as well. As for the sleeve there's a lot from stock shure and westone tips and other brands that i don't use. So it makes sense using it as well.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,210 of 1,446
Just shared it on HF FB audio group, and figured maybe some would be interested to read in this thread. So, I just found out that Lucid Audio, who acquired Etymotic two years ago, also acquired Westone Audio as well. Press release here. Curious how it will affect future releases and if we gonna see any Westone/Ety collaborations since they are under the same roof now.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #1,212 of 1,446

DAC/AMP ifi micro BL
Power mode = eco
Polarity = negative
Filter = minimum phase
iEmatch = off
XBass = off
3D+ = on

Very cool setup! Although big, micro iDSD BL doesn't dwarf that FiiO DAP too much :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 30, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,213 of 1,446
What’s a good, relatively inexpensive balanced cable that pairs well with the W80? I’m planning to pairing this with the Fiio BTR5 portable amp, and the unbalanced 3.5mm connection sounds pretty flat. The Qudelix 5K sounds good, but it doesn’t support AptX LL for wireless gaming/tv watching.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #1,215 of 1,446

Users who are viewing this thread

Back