Westone W80
Apr 17, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #602 of 1,446
Opinions of pairing with iBasso dx200, please?, sound change when you put high-gain?

I covered W80 pair up in my DX200 review.  Don't recall any noticeable improvement switching to high gain.  Wait for iBasso to release AMP2 soon, their high current replacement amp module for DX200.  Maybe that will change the synergy.  Btw, are you not happy with DX200 in low gain with W80?

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #603 of 1,446
Hehe, no i dont have the w80 but i can buy on my country
I have a question of that new amp, stock module have a 3Vrms on 3.5mm out, but new amp module have a 3.1Vrms on stock... is not the big diference.. ( or i am wrong ?)
The most difference is the stock amo have 6 Vrms on balanced, w80 can change more on balanced 6Vrms of stock amp, or not?

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #604 of 1,446

A bit confused, bud.  So you have an old W4R which comes with an orange mini vault case, and the plastic latch broke.  Are you planning to buy W80 and wondering if it comes with the same case, or you just want to get a replacement?  As it was pointed out above (the link to my blog
biggrin.gif
), W80 uses a small zip-up pocket case which is pretty durable.  But W60, W40, etc. still come with their signature orange mini vault (like a mini pelican, and easy to find in that bright color
wink.gif
).

Try to ping @BKG22 from Westone.  I'm sure your W4R pass the warranty, but maybe he can help you with a replacement.  I know he helped a number of people in this thread with various problems.

I wondered if you'd notice. :)

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #605 of 1,446
Hehe, no i dont have the w80 but i can buy on my country
I have a question of that new amp, stock module have a 3Vrms on 3.5mm out, but new amp module have a 3.1Vrms on stock... is not the big diference.. ( or i am wrong ?)
The most difference is the stock amo have 6 Vrms on balanced, w80 can change more on balanced 6Vrms of stock amp, or not?

Probably a better topic of discussion for dx200 thread
wink.gif
, but in general, the stock AMP1 is rated for 3Vrms (single ended) and 6Vrms (balanced) where ibasso implemented a true balanced amp circuit topology with rail-to-rail opamp, doubling the voltage swing over single ended ground to power swing.  AMP2 high current amp will be single ended (3.5mm, TRS) only.  But to be honest, we can speculate how it could/would/should sound, but I prefer to test it and to tell you how I actually hear W80 from AMP2 with my own ears
biggrin.gif
  Hopefully, I will get AMP2 for testing and will remember to pair up up and to let you know how it sounds with W80.  It's not just about the voltage, but also about the current source, that's why so many people, for example, rave about QP1R dap which has a current mode amp.  So, will see!

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #606 of 1,446
Opinions of pairing with iBasso dx200, please?, sound change when you put high-gain?

​But to answer your question... W80 sounds spectacularly awesome with iBasso DX200. The W80's "organic" low end and warmth seems to be a great match with what some call the "reference" quality of the DX200, making for a very fun and precise sound signature to me. And I'm more than a little bit of bass head. But still great separation and sparkle on the top end (to me... I don't care for super bright, fatiguing high end).  I use single ended out with Silver Dragon, and don't plan to switch to balanced. I don't listen as loud as some, but relatively loud on occasion, and with the DX200 on Low Gain, I don't think I've had the volume above 65 (out of 150) on the DX200 for even the most dynamic and/or low level recordings. Only waiting for my SE Double Helix Symbiote SP V3 OCC Silver Litz cable to complete the package (for awhile, anyway)... and it should be here any day now.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #608 of 1,446
  anyone know a bright portale amp?

most of the portable amps I used are either neutral/transparent or on a warmer side.  The only one I tried in the past that was bright is iBasso D14 dac/amp http://ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=288#page5 - but the sound was brighter due to combo of its DAC and amp, so I'm not sure if the amp by itself will be bright.  But this dac/amp works as usb dac/amp and also as USB OTG dac/amp from either android or iphone.  Plus, with a built in battery you save your phone's battery.  Maybe it will help?  Other than that, many people get amps to color the sound, and usually toward the warmer sig.  But D14 definitely made sound brighter.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #609 of 1,446

A bit confused, bud.  So you have an old W4R which comes with an orange mini vault case, and the plastic latch broke.  Are you planning to buy W80 and wondering if it comes with the same case, or you just want to get a replacement?  As it was pointed out above (the link to my blog
biggrin.gif
), W80 uses a small zip-up pocket case which is pretty durable.  But W60, W40, etc. still come with their signature orange mini vault (like a mini pelican, and easy to find in that bright color
wink.gif
).

Try to ping @BKG22 from Westone.  I'm sure your W4R pass the warranty, but maybe he can help you with a replacement.  I know he helped a number of people in this thread with various problems.

I've actually "betrayed" the IEM cause and gone with Audeze LCD-XC for my normal listening at work -- wearing IEMs for 8-10 hours per day was just doing me any favors. I still however use them on the go (with the iPhone 7 dongle DAC...)! Don't think I want to upgrade to W80s, but wouldn't mind getting a proper case for my W4Rs since the Pelican guy is a bit clunky.

The case you show in your pics on your blog looks interesting -- seems hefty / overkill, but I could keep some other small audio-related items in there -- do you think a little DAC could fit in there?

I'll try pinging the user you mentioned -- I e-mailed Westone and they suggested I re-purchase the same case from their website, but I didn't feel like paying $20-$25 for it.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #610 of 1,446
  I've actually "betrayed" the IEM cause and gone with Audeze LCD-XC for my normal listening at work -- wearing IEMs for 8-10 hours per day was just doing me any favors. 

No lie, I kinda hate you right now. I'd love to invest in LCD-XC, but I also wouldn't want to leave those beauties lying around my workspace.

Also, if you really need an orange clamshell, drop me a line. I've been using the screw case that I got with my Westone ADV for my W40s.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #611 of 1,446

biggrin.gif
wink.gif
).

I've actually "betrayed" the IEM cause and gone with Audeze LCD-XC for my normal listening at work -- wearing IEMs for 8-10 hours per day was just doing me any favors. I still however use them on the go (with the iPhone 7 dongle DAC...)! Don't think I want to upgrade to W80s, but wouldn't mind getting a proper case for my W4Rs since the Pelican guy is a bit clunky.

The case you show in your pics on your blog looks interesting -- seems hefty / overkill, but I could keep some other small audio-related items in there -- do you think a little DAC could fit in there?

I'll try pinging the user you mentioned -- I e-mailed Westone and they suggested I re-purchase the same case from their website, but I didn't feel like paying $20-$25 for it.

So you went from a few grams lightweight IEMs to 1.5 pounds of full size cans sitting on top of your head for 10hours a day.  I'm sorry to hear that
tongue.gif

Don't think any DAC will fit in there, unless you are talking about one of those usb-stick DragonFly type of units.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #612 of 1,446

So you went from a few grams lightweight IEMs to 1.5 pounds of full size cans sitting on top of your head for 10hours a day.  I'm sorry to hear that
tongue.gif

Don't think any DAC will fit in there, unless you are talking about one of those usb-stick DragonFly type of units.

Well, when you put it like that, I just sound like a idiot :wink: I do love my W4Rs still though -- if anything, it's a fun game to compare music on high-performance IEMs vs over-the-ears.

Thanks for the note on the DAC -- I was thinking like maybe a Schiit Fulla 2, or perhaps some other tiny DAC that can replace the stock Apple one.

No lie, I kinda hate you right now. I'd love to invest in LCD-XC, but I also wouldn't want to leave those beauties lying around my workspace.

Also, if you really need an orange clamshell, drop me a line. I've been using the screw case that I got with my Westone ADV for my W40s.

Thanks for the offer, hah. I'm kind of reminded now that I could probably do fine with a small neoprene zipper case from Amazon or something, and I may shop around for now a small portable Lightning DAC that lives in there along with the phones. If I come up empty, I'll send you a PM about the clamshell.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #613 of 1,446

Well, when you put it like that, I just sound like a idiot :wink: I do love my W4Rs still though -- if anything, it's a fun game to compare music on high-performance IEMs vs over-the-ears.

Thanks for the note on the DAC -- I was thinking like maybe a Schiit Fulla 2, or perhaps some other tiny DAC that can replace the stock Apple one.

Thanks for the offer, hah. I'm kind of reminded now that I could probably do fine with a small neoprene zipper case from Amazon or something, and I may shop around for now a small portable Lightning DAC that lives in there along with the phones. If I come up empty, I'll send you a PM about the clamshell.

jds lab C5D

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #614 of 1,446

tongue.gif

Maybe look into this FiiO case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LAAKLFI/ - only $10 and fits DAPs, dac/amps, and other stuff, though keep in mind, it's not small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back