Westone W80
Jul 4, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #1,006 of 1,446
I recently had a chance to test the latest A&K flagship DAP, and out of curiosity compared how W80 pairs up with SP1000 vs WM1Z. I get asked so many times to recommend the best source pair up with different IEMs, and noticed that some people make an assumption that just because it's a flagship, the pair up automatically going to work. But it's not always the case. Of course, my opinion is subjective, but nevertheless, I figured to share it here, and others can share their favorite W80 pair ups (and maybe mention why). Btw, for consistency in comparison, I used the same Oriveti Affinity hybrid cable, one terminated with 2.5mm connector and the other one with 4.4mm.

WM1Z and SP1000 are currently two of the more popular (and more expensive) flagship choices, but they do vary in tonality and along with W80 5 ohm impedance, a pair up can make or break the synergy. In a relative comparison between these two DAPs, the biggest difference is in mid-bass/lower-mids section where WM1Z bass hits a little harder with longer decay and lower mids are north of neutral, while SP1000 bass has a little less impact and lower mids are more neutral. As a result, W80 with WM1Z sounds thicker, warmer, smoother, and more laid back, while W80 with SP1000 is less colored, more transparent, more revealing, which brings mids a little more forward.

Again, this is just how I hear it, so as I mentioned already - a subjective opinion. But it's just a good example that regardless of the price or the status, not every flagship DAP going to pair up well with W80. On the other hand, ES80 pair up with WM1Z was really good, but I'm not as crazy about W80 pair up with 1Z. In this case, W80 pair up with SP1000 is noticeably better.

100% Agree, and similar way IMHO the Tia Tzar pairs better with the WM1Z than with the SP1000.

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,007 of 1,446
100% Agree, and similar way IMHO the Tia Tzar pairs better with the WM1Z than with the SP1000.

You mean, Fourte and U18t? Yeah, could be, depending on your personal preference. Btw, when it comes to 1Z and SP1k, their fw also make them sound a little different. At least to my ears, 1Z fw 1.2 vs 2.0 difference is noticeable, the same with SP1k fw 1.06 vs 1.08.

Jul 4, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #1,008 of 1,446
Thank you! Now I am looking to buy a cable. Want flexible PVC jacket cable which is very very soft, no noise and wont tangle. (The mee audio one I checked the video, it seems a little hard and easy to tangle, the whole cable seems having some memory effect). Moon Audio black dragon / silver dragon will be a great choice? Are there any other choices?
I like this cable (PEC/P5 ver 2) material a lot (extremely nice) but not sure if I can find a mmcx version of it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Pec...AUICygC&biw=1680&bih=880#imgrc=vB6HUmkXwzyQZM:
I tried to look for it:
http://www.oyaide.com/ja/brand/oyaide/earphone_headphone_cable/hpc-mxs
this one looks the same and I bought it, but the PVC jacket is not as flexible / soft as the previous one

Thank you all

Don't have experience with Moon audio cables, but probably silver dragon will pair up better. PlusSound custom cables are also great, soft, pliable, no microphonics, high quality cables. I also like iBasso CB-series hybrid cables, they use similar wires as Ref8 with a lot softer and less microphonic cable jacket/shielding and no memory wire or pre-shaped earhook. As a matter of fact, their latest CB12s pairs up really good with W80 (wider staging and more bass control, faster decay, with a little more bass impact); plus it comes 2.5mm balanced terminated with 3.5mm pigtail adapter. BUT, the mmcx connector of that particular cable is SO TIGHT, I had to use a small screwdriver to separate the connector. I mean, it's great if you not gonna switch cables, but if you do - be aware.

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #1,009 of 1,446
You mean, Fourte and U18t? Yeah, could be, depending on your personal preference. Btw, when it comes to 1Z and SP1k, their fw also make them sound a little different. At least to my ears, 1Z fw 1.2 vs 2.0 difference is noticeable, the same with SP1k fw 1.06 vs 1.08.

u18t, WMZ1 tames the brightness making them sound more balanced IMO. Yes, fw versions change the signature, at least Sony dont deny it like AK does.

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #1,010 of 1,446
u18t, WMZ1 tames the brightness making them sound more balanced IMO. Yes, fw versions change the signature, at least Sony dont deny it like AK does.

... and, with Sony you can roll back to the previous fw, while with AK you can't :frowning2:

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #1,012 of 1,446
Do you think the Chord Mojo pairs well with the W80? I use the DF red now but wanted an upgrade. Thanks :)

Pair up is a matter of a personal taste, as you know it :wink: I don't have Mojo, but from many trusted reviews, it seems to be leaning more toward a warmer musical sound signature. W80 is not exactly the most neutral/revealing to begin with. W80 is still closer to Westone house sound tuning, and paired up with a warmer source could reduce the transparency and resolution of the sound. Some might like it, others might not. For me personally, I would try to pair it up with something more neutral, more revealing. But I don't know if this is what you're looking for? I have a regular DF, heard red has a similar signature. Based on that, don't think Mojo will be an upgrade. Are you trying to pair it up with your smartphone, looking for a portable usb/dac source? Have you tried it with any other sources?

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #1,013 of 1,446
Pair up is a matter of a personal taste, as you know it :wink: I don't have Mojo, but from many trusted reviews, it seems to be leaning more toward a warmer musical sound signature. W80 is not exactly the most neutral/revealing to begin with. W80 is still closer to Westone house sound tuning, and paired up with a warmer source could reduce the transparency and resolution of the sound. Some might like it, others might not. For me personally, I would try to pair it up with something more neutral, more revealing. But I don't know if this is what you're looking for? I have a regular DF, heard red has a similar signature. Based on that, don't think Mojo will be an upgrade. Are you trying to pair it up with your smartphone, looking for a portable usb/dac source? Have you tried it with any other sources?

It would be to pair it up with my smartphone (Note 8) and pc. My music comes from Tidal streaming + uapp. Been a year I use my W80 with DR red and now wanted to try something that would feel like an upgrade for my W80. Something around the Mojo price, can't afford more really.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,014 of 1,446

It would be to pair it up with my smartphone (Note 8) and pc. My music comes from Tidal streaming + uapp. Been a year I use my W80 with DR red and now wanted to try something that would feel like an upgrade for my W80. Something around the Mojo price, can't afford more really.

Hmm, I'm usually more into DAP+IEM, haven't checked out portable usb dacs in awhile. But I think you might want to try FiiO Q5, since it will give you a freedom of both wired and wireless dac/amp connection, and flexibility of replaceable amp modules. You don't need to keep a wired stack, can pair it up wireless with your phone and just use Q5 with W80 and control playback and volume straight from Q5, you won't be draining as much battery of your Note 8, and can still use Q5 as usb dac connected to your computer. I don't have Q5, but read plenty about it, all praises so far.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #1,015 of 1,446
Hmm, I'm usually more into DAP+IEM, haven't checked out portable usb dacs in awhile. But I think you might want to try FiiO Q5, since it will give you a freedom of both wired and wireless dac/amp connection, and flexibility of replaceable amp modules. You don't need to keep a wired stack, can pair it up wireless with your phone and just use Q5 with W80 and control playback and volume straight from Q5, you won't be draining as much battery of your Note 8, and can still use Q5 as usb dac connected to your computer. I don't have Q5, but read plenty about it, all praises so far.

I wonder if even the Dragonfly black could be an upgrade, since the W80 are only 5 Ohms and maybe the red is to much ?

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #1,016 of 1,446
I wonder if even the Dragonfly black could be an upgrade, since the W80 are only 5 Ohms and maybe the red is to much ?
There is an issue with Dragonfly Red + W80 - on certain tracks with strong hitting bass or kick drum, you can hear noticeable driver cracking. Discussed this with Westone and they confirmed this could be caused by the very low impedance of W80. This problem is just with the DFR + W80 combination.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #1,017 of 1,446
There is an issue with Dragonfly Red + W80 - on certain tracks with strong hitting bass or kick drum, you can hear noticeable driver cracking. Discussed this with Westone and they confirmed this could be caused by the very low impedance of W80. This problem is just with the DFR + W80 combination.

So do you think the black version could be better ? I might give it a try...

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,018 of 1,446
So do you think the black version could be better ? I might give it a try...

DFB is their lower end version, in comparison to DFR. And in general, if the issue is related to output impedance of DF there not going to be much change between their pair up performance with W80.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,020 of 1,446
True, I will try with a buffer adapter before a new Dac then. Thanks guys :)

sorry if it was mentioned before, do you have W80 already and planning to get DFR/B or do you have either DFR/B and planning to get W80? And are you planning to pair it up with your phone or laptop? Perhaps DF was great a few years back, but there has been so many new releases with updated DACs, better performance, etc. I don't know your budget and the exact source pair up, that's why I thought looking into FiiO Q5 will give you flexibility of any/every possible pair up and wired/wireless connection you can think of :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back