Westone W80
Feb 23, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #407 of 1,446

Can anyone comment about the bass of the W80? Is it elevated, or in line with the rest of the frequency? The reason I like the W30 better than the W40 or W60 is the slightly elevated bass and treble. I find the other W's a bit boring. I'd really like to see frequency graphs of the entire line.

They are incredibly small earpieces. I'd like to see how they look inside. They're by far the most comfortable IEMs I've tried, including customs.

Has anyone heard W80 with Hugo or Mojo?

You might be one of the few that like the W50's

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #408 of 1,446

So I assume like any responsible head-fier you took a day off, feeling "under weather" to wait for your W80 delivery?
biggrin.gif

Curious I have a moon audio silver dragon cable with my W60 can you tell me how it is compared to the W80? with stock and ref8 cable

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #409 of 1,446
Hi, I new in this forum. I currently own W40 and Noble 6, and I do have a slight issue with W40 where the star tips keep falling out and struck in my ear or drop to the ground whenever I remove it from my ear. Does any of Westone user experience or encounter this on W80? I do like the W80 however just worry will have a similar encounter which hold me back from making the purchase.

That's normal after heavy use, it happens to me after 6 months or so, even washing them, just replace the startips.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #410 of 1,446
So, if I am in for a warm sound with good bass (like my Westone ES5), W80 seems NOT the way to go? Should I get W60 instead to get similar sound to my ES5?

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #411 of 1,446
So, if I am in for a warm sound with good bass (like my Westone ES5), W80 seems NOT the way to go? Should I get W60 instead to get similar sound to my ES5?

I think the w80 are better in every aspect, if you want a different sound I would just tune it but I would never go back to the w60

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #412 of 1,446

In my opinion, W80 builds up on top of W60 signature, enhancing it with a refined tuning by opening up the upper mids with more clarity and details.  Going from W60 to ES60 is a side grade due to a noticeably different, more revealing signature, while going from W60 to W80 is definitely an upgrade.  I'm not familiar with ES5, but based on our previous discussion where you described the sound of ES5, W60 was definitely a good choice for a universal upgrade.  If W80 is in your budget, it will be even better.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #413 of 1,446

So I assume like any responsible head-fier you took a day off, feeling "under weather" to wait for your W80 delivery?
biggrin.gif

Curious I have a moon audio silver dragon cable with my W60 can you tell me how it is compared to the W80? with stock and ref8 cable

In the past I have tested W60 with TWag v3, another silver cable, and in my opinion such pair up refines the sound, sharpens the details, but it won't drastically change (and it shouldn't) the Frequency Response of the tuning.  I actually have W60 paired up nicely with Linum BaX cable, it's SPC and not a pure silver, but still gives a similar sound improvement as a pure silver cable.  Cable doesn't affect the sound as drastic as EQ, especially when you are dealing with a laid back smooth tuned IEM like W60.  So in my  opinion, W80, especially with Ref8 cable, has an advantage in sound tuning over W60 with a silver cable.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #415 of 1,446

In the past I have tested W60 with TWag v3, another silver cable, and in my opinion such pair up refines the sound, sharpens the details, but it won't drastically change (and it shouldn't) the Frequency Response of the tuning.  I actually have W60 paired up nicely with Linum BaX cable, it's SPC and not a pure silver, but still gives a similar sound improvement as a pure silver cable.  Cable doesn't affect the sound as drastic as EQ, especially when you are dealing with a laid back smooth tuned IEM like W60.  So in my  opinion, W80, especially with Ref8 cable, has an advantage in sound tuning over W60 with a silver cable.

I have both the linum bax cable and the moon audio cable, I felt the moon audio cable cure some of that warmth.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #416 of 1,446

try the audio-technica ath-e70 arguably the best bass plus very detailed.  Competes with w80 on sound but not price; only $399.  But you have to have a good source and flac because they are very revealing.  With mp3 you will get a warmer sound though.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #417 of 1,446
Just got my W80.
Wonderful upgrade from the W60.Much improved treble without sibilance, more spacious sound.
I have also owned quite a few Westones.
Westone and Stax are my preferences.
Only issue I ever had was solved promptly, no questions asked.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #418 of 1,446
I understand and fully agree that Westone IEMs are the most comfortable on the market and they sound great too.
Some people have issues with the build quality some don't. Like any IEM maker out there nothing is perfect and there is always room for improvement especially when the price goes up and up.I haven't seen yet the W80 but when I owned W60 the build quality was not as great as the old UM2.
I know the idea about making them of plastic to be light and comfortable but at the asking price for W80 especially in UK at £1199 I want a better quality.
If they sound great but don't last long what's the point?
No everyone can afford to upgrade every year to a new flagship IEM.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #420 of 1,446

You might be one of the few that like the W50's

I've never heard the W50s.

W30s are my favourite of the W** line up.

Just think of W50 as W60 with a boosted bass :)  I actually found it interesting, that by tweaking the EQ, adjusting the low end response, you can bring W50 closer to W60 sound (I mentioned that in my review).

Many people find W30 and Um pro 30 to be their favorite.  Especially with Um pro 30 which pairs up great with any source like smartphones, not just quality DAPs
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back