Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #1,862 of 1,957
I didn't know V2's existed until I read about them yesterday on the ZX300 thread, I was hoping you were going to comment on them.
One site lists them for £929, even if they sound amazing I'm not tempted though as my V1's sound so good and unlike my other make of iem's I hardly need to adjust them once in my ears.

You probably missed my full v2 W-series post, I went over in details every new model here : https://twister6.com/2019/04/11/review-guide-to-2nd-gen-westone-w-series-w10-w20-w40-w60-and-w80/

Apr 21, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,864 of 1,957
That'll be the good old exchange rate dropping like a stone! I miss the days when I could pick up a w3 for £229 :frowning2:

True, but as usual we are getting ripped off. Prices are starting to appear everywhere $1 = £1 even though £1 = $1.30 at time of posting this. :)

W80 v1 @ £909.35 vs W60 v2 @ £929.00 that's a tricky choice but as @twister6 says in his review the W80 v1 sounds the same as the W80 V2 with only the included accessories to differentiate them and W80 v2 sounds better than the the W60 v2 so I think I would get the W80 V1 (while stocks last)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,865 of 1,957
Sorry but if I were dropping £900 I would go custom at that point (even with my history of customs).

Apr 21, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #1,866 of 1,957
Sorry but if I were dropping £900 I would go custom at that point (even with my history of customs).

But at the same time, if you decide later to trade up/upgrade, you are stuck with a custom. Custom is a commitment :wink:

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,868 of 1,957
Apr 23, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #1,870 of 1,957
thanks, you kind of look like Jonah.

It is probably Jonah :D j/k :wink:

W60 and W40 are the two with a noticeable change in this update. Really enjoying W60 v2 with their more audiophile friendly tuning.

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #1,872 of 1,957
is there really a huge difference between the v1 w60, and v2?

As it was mentioned before, I covered the difference in my review, specific W60 comparison is here. Considering we all have a different hearing level, using different music, different sources, have different ear (earcanal) anatomy - the level of difference will be perceived differently by different peope :wink: Some might hear a more drastic changes, others - more subtle. So, it will vary. For me personally, price no object, if there is a choice between getting v1 or v2 of W60, I would go for v2 because I prefer it better.

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #1,873 of 1,957
I recently bought the W60 v2 on a whim. I wasn't intending to because of the cost - they're not far off double the price I paid for the original W60, possibly due to the weak pound.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that I find the v2 very different to the old W60. The original W60 was a pleasant earphone, but was nowhere near as technically good as the customs I've owned. But I place the W60 v2 right up there with a quality set of customs. I wasn't expecting them to be this good.

The cable (not the bluetooth one) is better and the faceplates won't break after a couple of weeks. (I'd be happy if Westone did away with faceplates altogether). The main thing that stands out is their ability to create a convincing 3D soundstage, which is very obvious with a good source. (I currently use Hugo or Mojo).

I'm surprised there is so little written about them - they really are fantastic!

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #1,874 of 1,957
I recently bought the W60 v2 on a whim. I wasn't intending to because of the cost - they're not far off double the price I paid for the original W60, possibly due to the weak pound.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that I find the v2 very different to the old W60. The original W60 was a pleasant earphone, but was nowhere near as technically good as the customs I've owned. But I place the W60 v2 right up there with a quality set of customs. I wasn't expecting them to be this good.

The cable (not the bluetooth one) is better and the faceplates won't break after a couple of weeks. (I'd be happy if Westone did away with faceplates altogether). The main thing that stands out is their ability to create a convincing 3D soundstage, which is very obvious with a good source. (I currently use Hugo or Mojo).

I'm surprised there is so little written about them - they really are fantastic!

Just curious, which customs have you owned when comparing to W60 v2? And btw, sounds like you got your original W60 at a great deal if they were 1/2 price, since in reality new ones price hasn't changed.

With faceplates, it's kind of like a touch of "customs" since you can customize it, at least make it look different between left/right. And indeed, new SPC cable with W40/W60 is nice.

Yep, agree about most of the attention going toward W80 or UMPro30/50, and not as much love toward W60 v2. I mentioned that a few times, the new tuning of W60 v2 is very impressive. The improvement in mids with more transparency (less coloring in comparison to the original W60) and better resolution is quite noticeable and brings them closer to audiophile tuning. Still natural and with a signature Westone house sound, but more transparency in mids/vocals is impressive here.

Aug 25, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,875 of 1,957
Just curious, which customs have you owned when comparing to W60 v2? And btw, sounds like you got your original W60 at a great deal if they were 1/2 price, since in reality new ones price hasn't changed.

With faceplates, it's kind of like a touch of "customs" since you can customize it, at least make it look different between left/right. And indeed, new SPC cable with W40/W60 is nice.

Yep, agree about most of the attention going toward W80 or UMPro30/50, and not as much love toward W60 v2. I mentioned that a few times, the new tuning of W60 v2 is very impressive. The improvement in mids with more transparency (less coloring in comparison to the original W60) and better resolution is quite noticeable and brings them closer to audiophile tuning. Still natural and with a signature Westone house sound, but more transparency in mids/vocals is impressive here.

I've had a variety of customs, including UM Miracle, a few from 64 Audio (A6, A10, A12), a few from JH Audio (13 Pro fp, Roxanne) and the one I kept, Noble K10.

Now I think of it, I compared the original W60 to my Roxannes here, and compared the W60 with its W40 sibling here.

My current Westones are the W3, UM Pro 50 and of course the W60 v2. (previously had the W4R, W40 & UM3X). I also had the W80 for a short time but the cable microphonics were horrendous and the sound was harsh to my ears.

I have a lot of time for Westone IEMs because they fit perfectly. The UM Pro 50 is my daily 'phone purely because it fits so well (and looks gorgeous!)

But the W60 v2 is a bit special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back