Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,516 of 1,957
Wait, so you got your W60 without any tips and ordered a separate set of one specific size?  Or did you order orange tips because you didn't know W60 will arrive with all the sizes already?  These tips do last a long time, not easy to destroy them :D   Plus, sometime you can go back'n'forth between two "adjacent" sizes to slightly fine tune the signature.  I use orange ones as well for a better seal, but if bass is a bit overwhelming (like in W50), I can step down to red.  Maybe it makes sense to get another full set from your local distributor?  These sets are usually relatively cheap.

Another trick, as you're aware Westone shells have a thin nozzle which can't accept large bore opening eartips.  So, for example, you can take unused tips, cut off the stem part, and use it as a nozzle spacers with other eartips over it.

They came with the full so-called 'True fit/Star fit' set - except the red Star Tips - but I like to have spares & know that with iems it's typically only the largest size that works for me... but not in this instance it would seem.
I've had both the Shure 535 (and more recently the Nuforce HEM 8) so have already made sets of spacers for use with wide-bore tips - although the benefit of doing so isn't so apparent to me with the W60 as it was with those models - esp the HEM 8. I'm really impressed with the Westone tips.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #1,518 of 1,957
Long shot but just wondering if anyone has a pair of these they'd be interested in trading for a new pair of Noble Sage?

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #1,519 of 1,957
Long shot but just wondering if anyone has a pair of these they'd be interested in trading for a new pair of Noble Sage?

Probably a good idea to post it here: http://www.head-fi.org/f/109/for-sale-trade-and-feedback-forums
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #1,520 of 1,957
Jan 28, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #1,522 of 1,957
Feb 10, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,524 of 1,957
After going back and forth for months, I finally ordered a pair of W60s, which arrived a few days ago. I had tried them a couple times before, but with the right tips (Shure olives) they sounded better than I expected. I'm in love with the rich, warm detail that they offer; the trouble is that they don't fit in my ears as well as I had thought.

The right bud actually fits quite comfortably in my right ear, but my left ear starts to hurt after half an hour. It seems that the antihelix of my left ear has a ridge right where the bud needs to sit. I hadn't noticed a problem when auditioning them, but I'm afraid that I'm going to need to return them.

It's a huge disappointment. In every other way they're a wonderful earphone.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #1,525 of 1,957
  After going back and forth for months, I finally ordered a pair of W60s, which arrived a few days ago. I had tried them a couple times before, but with the right tips (Shure olives) they sounded better than I expected. I'm in love with the rich, warm detail that they offer; the trouble is that they don't fit in my ears as well as I had thought.

The right bit actually fits quite comfortably in my right ear, but my left ear starts to hurt after half an hour. It seems that the antihelix of my left ear has a ridge right where the bud needs to sit. I hadn't noticed a problem when auditioning them, but I'm afraid that I'm going to need to return them.

It's a huge disappointment. In every other way they're a wonderful earphone.

Have you tried using a different tip on that ear alone?

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #1,526 of 1,957

Yep. In addition to the Shure olives, I ran through every tip that came included with the W60s (Star Fit and True Fit), and none of them seemed to help. Apart from plastic surgery to make my ear bigger, I'm not sure what else to try.

I love the fact that the engineers managed to fit six drivers into such a small package; the problem for me is that keeping the profile slim required making the bud a little too long to fit in my ear.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #1,527 of 1,957

Yep. In addition to the Shure olives, I ran through every tip that came included with the W60s (Star Fit and True Fit), and none of them seemed to help. Apart from plastic surgery to make my ear bigger, I'm not sure what else to try.

I love the fact that the engineers managed to fit six drivers into such a small package; the problem for me is that keeping the profile slim required making the bud a little too long to fit in my ear.

I am sorry to hear that. 

Sounds like a custom tip would be the answer for you. Many companies make them but you can find ours here: https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/um56-custom-adapter-silicone.html

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,528 of 1,957

Sounds like a custom tip would be the answer for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, because my issue has to do with the length of the earphone's housing, I don't think a custom tip would help.

Of course, if the whole unit was custom fit, that would take care of the problem. I may give Westone's ES50 a try; however, for the moment I'm going to keep looking for a universal fit option.

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #1,529 of 1,957

If you are impressed how they fit 6 drivers into that small bean shaped shell, wait till you see W80 where the shell is a hair slimmer and stuffed with 8 drivers
biggrin.gif

As @BKG22 above mentioned, UM56 could be one of the solutions, I covered it in my review HERE, though its advantage is more with creating CIEM-like seal which might or might not help in your case.  The advantage of Shure olives tips is shorter stem of the eartips which jams the shell deeper in your ear, and could cause the uncomfort you experiencing where it's rubbing against your antihelix.  If you look at the included Westone silicone Star tips, they don't just vary in diameter but also in length.  That could control the depth of the shell insertion which can help with a fit.  Try the largest star tip with "orange" marking.  You don't need to jam it all the way into your ear, even half way in will still give you a good seal of earcanal and it should work as a "spacer" to give your antihelix more room to "breath"
wink.gif
  See if that will help?

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #1,530 of 1,957

If you are impressed how they fit 6 drivers into that small bean shaped shell, wait till you see W80 where the shell is a hair slimmer and stuffed with 8 drivers
biggrin.gif

As @BKG22 above mentioned, UM56 could be one of the solutions, I covered it in my review HERE, though its advantage is more with creating CIEM-like seal which might or might not help in your case.  The advantage of Shure olives tips is shorter stem of the eartips which jams the shell deeper in your ear, and could cause the uncomfort you experiencing where it's rubbing against your antihelix.  If you look at the included Westone silicone Star tips, they don't just vary in diameter but also in length.  That could control the depth of the shell insertion which can help with a fit.  Try the largest star tip with "orange" marking.  You don't need to jam it all the way into your ear, even half way in will still give you a good seal of earcanal and it should work as a "spacer" to give your antihelix more room to "breath"
wink.gif
  See if that will help?

Thanks, @twister6 - and thanks for all your reviews, which are really excellent. I've actually been using the orange star tips, but the housing is still causing pressure against the antihelix of my left ear. It seems there's just not enough lateral width in my left ear to accommodate the earbud.

I may try a pair of CIEMs, though I worry that I might encounter a similar problem. It's a real disappointment since the W60 is genuinely outstanding (as you yourself have said). I auditioned them against the JH 13 v2, Campfire Audio Jupiter, and Noble Audio Savant, and the W60 was the clear winner.

The W80 is an engineering marvel, as you say. I didn't spend long enough with them to get a good feel for the sound (they're out of my price range, unfortunately), but they did impress me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back